Breast Cancer Awareness ----- Give me your BOOBS!!

Today is National Mental Health day, and as many of you know. There are a million reasons for mental health issues. For me. I can only speak for me.

This year has been incredibly hard, on just about every level possible.

snip......

So today. With no explanations needed. I want everyone to know. It is okay to not feel right, all of the time. It is okay to need help. It is okay to feel different.

:heart:

attachment.php

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

I have no words that can express my admiration of you Sassy. Keep pressing on and best wishes to you.:rose:

Today is National Mental Health day, and as many of you know. There are a million reasons for mental health issues. For me. I can only speak for me.

So today. With no explanations needed. I want everyone to know. It is okay to not feel right, all of the time. It is okay to need help. It is okay to feel different.

attachment.php

Sassy, I don't post much but yours earlier hit me pretty hard. I more than understand feeling alone even with people supporting you close at hand. My battle is not with cancer but it's still a fight that I endure every day. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. My mother won her battle with breast cancer going on 5 years ago now. Watching what she went through was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I am so sorry your dad wasn't as fortunate. I just wanted to write this to say that you're an inspiration and I wish you nothing but the best in your treatment.

It is hard to explain how one can feel so alone, when you have so many around you willing to offer to be there for you.
I've never felt so alone. This year has found a way to push me into being strong, when I only wanted to fall apart.
Because of Covid. Every appointment I had. My surgery, my treatments. All of it. I had to do alone.

Mentally. Radiation took the biggest toll on me. I was in the same room the entire time, as my Dad was when he was fighting his own Cancer. Every time I laid on that table. I looked up and saw my Dad. I felt him with me. But it hurt so much. I had to explain more than once, why laying on that table made me cry to my techs.
My Dad did not win his fight.

attachment.php

HUGS!! :rose::rose::rose::heart::heart::heart:

I have no words that can express my admiration of you Sassy. Keep pressing on and best wishes to you.:rose:

Thank you everyone. :D
Sassy, I don't post much but yours earlier hit me pretty hard. I more than understand feeling alone even with people supporting you close at hand. My battle is not with cancer but it's still a fight that I endure every day. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. My mother won her battle with breast cancer going on 5 years ago now. Watching what she went through was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I am so sorry your dad wasn't as fortunate. I just wanted to write this to say that you're an inspiration and I wish you nothing but the best in your treatment.

That was very sweet. Thank you. That is why I wanted to express that no matter the reason. Everyone has a fight in some way. Many suffer from the mental health, and I've learned so much about how hard it can be for some to understand if they have never experienced it.
My husband has NO idea how to help. He struggles with it from time to time, because he's never had any kind of depression.

So to many. It is really hard to explain to someone who doesn't struggle with these issues, what it is like.
Everyone says "But you have such a good support system" and I do. I'm grateful as fuck. but I still feel alone at times.

This year has been an extra hard year for fighting the depression though. So I hope everyone takes the time to love themselves even on those hard days!!.

https://www.***********/s/qgc9tds80vh9dj3/PicsArt_10-10-01.31.04.jpg?dl=0

Sorry to head about your your Dad, being alone at that time has to be the worst.

My son is bipolar, first noticed when he was 7 but not diagnosed medically until a teenager. Lived with it for over 30 years. He still has his bad days although medication has pretty much stabilised him. We all know his triggers and obviously avoid them, but there is one which we can’t avoid as it is the date his granddad died. We try to distract him and that way we minimise the effect in him. Even his daughter, who can be a real shit at times, knows not to ‘trigger’ daddy otherwise the whole family, including her, are affected.

Sorry to head about your your Dad, being alone at that time has to be the worst.

My son is bipolar, first noticed when he was 7 but not diagnosed medically until a teenager. Lived with it for over 30 years. He still has his bad days although medication has pretty much stabilised him. We all know his triggers and obviously avoid them, but there is one which we can’t avoid as it is the date his granddad died. We try to distract him and that way we minimise the effect in him. Even his daughter, who can be a real shit at times, knows not to ‘trigger’ daddy otherwise the whole family, including her, are affected.

It is a horrible disease. :(

My son still struggles with the passing of his Grandfather. The other night was rough. The last football game we went to with my Dad. My sons Senior Year. They do what is called a Pink out game. To honor Breast Cancer. So we always got all decked out in pink, and my Dad dyed his hair pink (what little he had from Chemo loss) and totally rocked his pinkness. My son now helps Coach football down at the high school and had asked me to go to the game with him. Was a big reminder of my Dad (and now I fear, it'll always remind my son of me also)

So yes. Mental health care is super important.

It is a horrible disease. :(

My son still struggles with the passing of his Grandfather. The other night was rough. The last football game we went to with my Dad. My sons Senior Year. They do what is called a Pink out game. To honor Breast Cancer. So we always got all decked out in pink, and my Dad dyed his hair pink (what little he had from Chemo loss) and totally rocked his pinkness. My son now helps Coach football down at the high school and had asked me to go to the game with him. Was a big reminder of my Dad (and now I fear, it'll always remind my son of me also)

So yes. Mental health care is super important.

It’s fixed triggers such as that we can’t avoid.

Granddad always visited on my kids birthdays, he lived 200 miles away and stayed for a week. The year of my sons 7th birthday, granddad became I’ll and couldn’t travel so we agreed we would visit him the weekend after his birthday. Granddad never made it until the weekend and when my son was told, he threw all his gifts and cards in the rubbish. He never celebrated it ever again. He said he didn’t want a birthday without Granddad.

It is hard to explain how one can feel so alone, when you have so many around you willing to offer to be there for you.
I've never felt so alone. This year has found a way to push me into being strong, when I only wanted to fall apart.
Because of Covid. Every appointment I had. My surgery, my treatments. All of it. I had to do alone.

Mentally. Radiation took the biggest toll on me. I was in the same room the entire time, as my Dad was when he was fighting his own Cancer. Every time I laid on that table. I looked up and saw my Dad. I felt him with me. But it hurt so much. I had to explain more than once, why laying on that table made me cry to my techs.
My Dad did not win his fight.

attachment.php

l85SK2q.gif

You are incredible, just sayin....

Last edited:
Another Long read..

By the End of Jan, they had decided to go ahead and schedule the Lumpectomy. I decided to find out about the possibility of a breast reduction. If they are going to be in there. Why not.
But when I saw the Plastic Surgeon. He decided that he did not think that was a good idea. Considering I got such a bad infection from a simple needle Biopsy, he thought it would be too risky. If I got an infection again, from a major surgery, it could delay my Cancer treatments.
I sat there in tears, cause this was something I've wanted for years, but a Car accident put that on hold for 6 years. By the time I started the process over. Covid hit, and that went on the back burner again. So I was stupidly upset that it was being put on hold again. But I totally understood. It still didn't stop me from being sad.

Now, because I would have Radiation, that meant I'd have to wait at least a year from the date of my last Radiation, to go back and try again.

My Lumpectomy was Scheduled for the end of Feb, and my kids decided that we would have fun with my hair. If Chemo was going to take it, why not. I've always loved fun colors, but I've avoided bleach for years now. I did color over brown, or color depositing Conditioner.
This time. My two girls went full on bleach, and color, and happiness. They each did a side and alternated colors and I instantly fell in love. It was the brightest spot I'd been in for a while.
Each of my kids did a streak of Pink in their hair in support, and eventually my son even did his beard.

https://www.***********/s/5v5hrpi0wu4wy09/20210223_220001.jpg?dl=0

https://www.***********/s/g4r9x2jaylsg5ho/20210223_225458.jpg?dl=0

The week before I went into Surgery. My kids (my own, and my extras) all surprised me and got us all matching shirts, and face masks. They had me close my eyes and when I opened them. They were all wearing the shirts and face masks, and mine were in my lap. I cried like a little kid.

it says my last name (the mask is covering that part) and the Clan. This symbol has become the one I use on almost everything now.
I had more masks made for friends that just say "No one fights alone"
https://www.***********/s/e9spld1ehr75cpf/20210320_213020.jpg?dl=0

The day I went in for my Lumpectomy. Holy hell, I was emotional. I'd never been in any kind of major surgery (besides 2 C sections that I was awake for) So I'd never been put to sleep before. I was incredibly nervous, and really pissed off because I had not seen my Surgeon since January, and here I was. I had to call and ask for Pre-Surgery instructions.
My husband was allowed to walk me up, check me in, hug me, and then he had to go wait in the car. I bought him a Nintendo Switch to occupy some time.

Once in the room. I started relaying my anger to the Nurses over the fact that I had not seen my Surgeon in over a month, and I thought it was crazy that he wasn't more hands on, or hadn't even verbally prepared me for what to expect.
I told the Anesthesiologist how scared I was because of never having been put to sleep. She did an amazing job of reassuring me. I was still scared as hell though.

I was already incredibly emotional. My kids weren't allowed to come, so I had to do some "I don't want to seem morbid, or act like I wont come out of this okay, but if I don't... You know how much I love you" talk that morning.

The Nurse told me I'd come back to the room when it was all done. I'd be bandaged up, I'd fully wake up, eat a light snack, and some juice, and then I'd go home.
In and out in like 4 hours.

I remember getting wheeled back for my wire guide (they follow that wire down to the Cancer) Which was weird, but not bad. Watching them feed a long wire down your boob was weird.
They inject a colored dye in your breast that helps light up any Lymph Nodes that might have Cancer. If any light up. Those are the ones they take. If they don't. They usually just take the couple/few closest ones. Those injections hurt. Needles in the areola are not fun. Needles rarely bother me, because I'm a diabetic. Kind of used to them now. Those hurt. Then wheeled back to the room with a wire sticking out. Just to wait.
Obviously someone told the Doctor how angry I was, because he finally came in to ask how I was. I remember being rather snarky and looking down at the wire sticking out of my Tit and saying "Oh, just great" :rolleyes:
When he asked if I had any questions for him. I said "No, everyone else answered them for me"
So. He said since I was ready. We'd go ahead and get started. 20 minutes later, I was sliding onto the table and they were giving me drugs. I remember counting from 10-7. That's all I remember.

Then waking up in my room. I looked down and there was no bandaging. I freaked out a little. But the Nurse explained that because of how bad my infection was from the Biopsy (the ended up cutting that out during the Lumpectomy btw)
That he had basically just glued it shut (stitches underneath) so it wouldn't be exposed to air like the last time.

https://www.***********/s/c8wyxgfld0glwhf/20210225_135121.jpg?dl=0

Again. I wont re-post those pictures. But I looked pretty brutal for a while. Bruising, swelling, pain. I lived in a lift chair for a couple weeks. I couldn't sleep in my bed. I couldn't pull myself up.

When my Pathology came back. They were totally perplexed. They could not find any Cancer in any of the Tissue Samples, or in the Lymph Nodes.
They wanted me to go to Seattle for a Second Opinion, and for them to re-run all the samples to see if they found anything different.
They believed the only explanation was that they actually got all the Cancer when I did my Biopsy. They said it was extremely rare. But even the Biopsy sample was so small, they were unable to really grade it.

So off to Seattle Cancer center I went. I have to say. This hospital. This Doctor. Holy hell, I loved!! It was now the first time I was getting a hands on Exam. He was so ridiculously thorough. Of course my Medical wouldn't cover him for anything more than the second opinion. :rolleyes:

Eventually his stuff came back, and he agreed with my Doctors. Thanks to the size of it, how small it was, how easily they thought they were able to get the Cancer. This now meant that they didn't feel Chemo would benefit me. I would get to skip Chemo, and just do Radiation.

Follow up with the Surgeon.. Video Chat. Let me tell you, that in all of my years. I've never felt so humiliated than that day. Nothing like shoving your tit up against your camera for a follow up to MAJOR SURGERY!!! I was just pissed. I had a horrible infection from a Biopsy, and for surgery, you are just going to look at my Boob on Camera!!! :mad:

I complained to anyone who would listen after that. :mad:

This whole process took a couple months between the second opinion and all.

Sassy,the covid crap sucks big time the way it stopped you from having your loved ones with you during your surgery and treatments, but I'm so happy that you have them in your corner for the long haul.

You are loved more than you know!! :rose::heart::heart:

Thanks Sassy! You're an inspiration to many women and men on here. I had a great aunt that died from breast cancer and I had a biopsy 21 years ago. Fortunately, mine was negative.

Thanks again for this thread Sassy....

When l first found my lump it was straight to the doctor's, then an Ultrasound and biopsy…the biopsy confirmed it was cancer. Two weeks later l was scheduled to have the lumpectomy. The day before my surgery l had to go to the hospital and have a procedure done like Sassy to light up my insides for my surgery the next day. It was done by intravenous. The procedure took about a ½ hr, then l had to sit for 30 mins to make sure l had no reaction. The next morning l was admitted to day surgery. Once you walk past the admittance desk you are on your own. I prepared myself mentally because l think l was so relieved, they weren’t cutting my boob right off. l felt much more relaxed about what was happening. l had lymph nodes and the lumpectomy so l was in about 7 hrs before release. I went to the doctor for a follow up the following week and he told me it would be about 6 weeks for test results, then they would be able to determine what treatment l would have, chemo, radiation, just radiation or both….That was the longest 6 weeks of my lift l felt.

From the time l found my lump to the time l was finished treatment it was 10 months.

A friend l was talking to one day said l sounded different on the phone...this was when l was going through chemo. Boy you have no idea how cancer changes you, your thoughts...your life. It still bothers me to this day how my friend couldn't understand why l sounded different....made me realize that maybe our friendship wasn't what l thought.

Last edited:
Sassy,the covid crap sucks big time the way it stopped you from having your loved ones with you during your surgery and treatments, but I'm so happy that you have them in your corner for the long haul.

You are loved more than you know!! :rose::heart::heart:
Thank you Tali. You truly have the kindest heart. :heart:
Thanks Sassy! You're an inspiration to many women and men on here. I had a great aunt that died from breast cancer and I had a biopsy 21 years ago. Fortunately, mine was negative.

My Aunt is fighting Breast Cancer now also. We went through it almost at the same time. She had a Double Mastectomy, and because she started her process a little before mine. She was able to share what family history she has, and I was able to get a genetics test to at least find out that I am not a carrier for the most common Breast Cancer genes. So at least my kids don't have to go in as early (They said 25 if I was) for testing.
It is such a horrible disease, and I truly hope they find a cure, or continue to find better ways to fight this.
There are so many different types of Breast Cancer (Cancer in general) that you cannot treat everyone the same.
It is most common for those under 50 to have Triple Negative (which I did) Breast Cancer, that means it is not hormone driven. So I cannot take hormone blockers. It almost always automatically means Chemo also. I got lucky.

I appreciate everyone joining in on this!! :heart:

Thanks again for this thread Sassy....

When l first found my lump it was straight to the doctor's, then an Ultrasound and biopsy…the biopsy confirmed it was cancer. Two weeks later l was scheduled to have the lumpectomy. The day before my surgery l had to go to the hospital and have a procedure done like Sassy to light up my insides for my surgery the next day. It was done by intravenous. The procedure took about a ½ hr, then l had to sit for 30 mins to make sure l had no reaction. The next morning l was admitted to day surgery. Once you walk past the admittance desk you are on your own. I prepared myself mentally because l think l was so relieved, they weren’t cutting my boob right off. l felt much more relaxed about what was happening. l had lymph nodes and the lumpectomy so l was in about 7 hrs before release. I went to the doctor for a follow up the following week and he told me it would be about 6 weeks for test results, then they would be able to determine what treatment l would have, chemo, radiation, just radiation or both….That was the longest 6 weeks of my lift l felt.

From the time l found my lump to the time l was finished treatment it was 10 months.

A friend l was talking to one day said l sounded different on the phone...this was when l was going through chemo. Boy you have no idea how cancer changes you, your thoughts...your life. It still bothers me to this day how my friend couldn't understand why l sounded different....made me realize that maybe our friendship wasn't what l thought.

You and Emmy have been my Breast Cancer heroes. I hope you know how much I've already come to look up to you.

Finding out about my Cancer changed a lot of relationships with those around me. I was 100% shocked at how many backed away. I can only assume that they just didn't know what to say, therefor. Said nothing. :(

*hugs* Thank you for being there for me. Thank you for sharing your journey also. I truly hope we can help someone get in early. :rose:

When your not so perky boobs don't fit the shirt the way it was meant. 😭😭😭🤣🤣🤣

attachment.php

Last edited:
You and Emmy have been my Breast Cancer heroes. I hope you know how much I've already come to look up to you.

Finding out about my Cancer changed a lot of relationships with those around me. I was 100% shocked at how many backed away. I can only assume that they just didn't know what to say, therefor. Said nothing. :(

*hugs* Thank you for being there for me. Thank you for sharing your journey also. I truly hope we can help someone get in early. :rose:

Thank you...
Sassy, "friends" that word has so many different meanings to people....myself l choose my friends a little more wisely now.

I felt broken hearted when l realized what the words meant, " you don't sound the same" discarded you could say...

Hugs to you Sassy 🤗🤗🤗

Back