Descriptions...too much...too little?

One consideration that I think needs to be raised is the significance of POV. The details that a first person POV story focuses on in description serve two purposes: the obvious, describing the other character and, IMHO the more important, giving the reader insight into what the narrator notices and how he reacts to those details.

I've often considered writing a story in the style of Melville (can't remember his first name, but he wrote a book called Junk). He wrote in 1st person, but every chapter was from a different POV. The chapters were titled by the name of the narrator and he was excellent at getting into the character's minds and showing the situation from their POVs rather than from a subjective POV. Not 'this is what happened', but 'this is what I say happened.' Not had the nerve so far though.

The Earl

What you've just said Earl, is how I'm writing one of the stories I have at the moment on the burner...

I've begun with 'his' story, am now writing 'her story', the third chapter/part will be their son's story... Perhaps a little unusual in that it will only contain one sentence, and yes I know what it is even though none of this story was planned. I have had a thought cross my mind that I'd like to tie the whole story together by finishing going back to 'his' story.

It's very vague thinking at the moment, but it covers one of the Unities of writing... hmm Now here's where I fail myself because I think it's called a Unity... Beginning somewhere, going off, then ending in the original place. There are three Unities I think. Place, people and something else, is it time? sorry... i shouldn't have mentioned it without knowing exactly all the details. - shocking memory, sorry.

Something that can help sort description can be to write the entire story, then leave it for 6-8 weeks. Wait until the story is no longer foremost in your mind. Then go back and re-read it completely before rewriting or editing. The wait should help to clear your mind of existing thoughts and allow you space enough to notice any glaringly obvious over/underdone descriptions. - was just a thought.

gauchecritic said
Sorry Sweet one but I had to smile imagining what this 'rusted fisherman' looked like.
it's an amazing visual eh? i didn't even think it through when i wrote it. afterwards i was blown away because it conjured up such a perfect visual of an ancient fisherman. :)

Very nice.........

"Rusted fisherman"...............

Is a perfect......beautiful way to describe a character all at once.

Very nice Wildsweetone.......<smile>

I remain,

Back