Karaoke Story Event - Official Support Thread

The deadline was extended to the 8th, giving you more time?
The opposite. It appears to have been shortened, from the 8th to the 5th. It said 8th before, which was what I was counting on, and now it says the 5th. I'm not going to put myself under pressure to get it done by then.

*** UPDATE ***

Had a couple of folk ask me if they could submit after the 5th and still be included.

I reached out to Laurel. Official answer is that any appropriately-tagged story will be included, but if not submitted "within 48 hours" of the go-live then it might turn up a day or two late.

Good to know... my second submission still needs a lot of work :)

I'm posting this thread to officially kick off the "Karaoke" Story Event. Laurel will be creating the Event Page shortly - and submissions can be sent in between September 25th and October 8th, with a Tuesday October 10th Go Live Date. That's over 80 days - plenty of time!

This thread is to SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE authors to enter stories in the 2023 "Karaoke" Story Event. If you have questions, post them here and someone will answer. It might be me, it might be someone else here but don't be shy. Ask.

If you're a first time writer, or this is the first time you're putting a story in to an "Event" on Literotica, hey, don't get stressed about it. You don't have to have written anything before to write for this event. This isn’t a “by invitation only” event. This is not a competition. There's no scores, no prizes.

Just writing for fun with a bunch of other writers doing the same thing. If you're not sure about what to do, how to submit your story, anything at all in fact, just ask here. We've all been there and we're a bunch of very helpful people and we like to pass it on.

So, without further ado, are you interested in writing a story for the “Karaoke” Literotica Story Event? Get started! First time writers and veteran Literoticans alike are all invited and encouraged to participate. Post the name of your story here so we can all see it and I'll keep a running list going in this thread.

The Rules are actually really simple

Pick a song and write a story that uses the title of that song, and, inasmuch as is possible, reflects the content of that song.

Min 750 words, normal Lit general rules.

Illustrative examples:
  • First Time - Crush (Jennifer Paige) - Professor has hots for a student.
  • Gay Male - Born This Way (Lady Gaga) - Man fights for his right to be who he wants to be
  • Fetish - These Boots are Made for Walking (Nancy Sinatra) - Femdom foot fun.
  • Loving Wives - Bitch (Meredith Brooks) - wife is a goddess on her knees, likes to prove it to anyone with an interest
  • NonConsent/Reluctance - Every Breath You Take (Police) - Stalker gets a bit creepy with the girl of his dreams
  • Reviews and Essays - Cannon in D (Pachelbel) - Why Pachelbel's Cannon sucks for cellos
  • Incest/Taboo - We are family (I've got all my sisters with me) (Sister Sledge) - this... doesn't need an explanation.
...etc.

1. The story title has to be “[Your Chosen Song Here]” (so, using above examples, "Crush" or "Every Breath You Take" etc)
2. The spirit of the event is to then craft your story around the words, meaning or message of the song - but the degree to which you do this is up to you.
4. Any subject, any category, any length you like.
5. Author must copy and paste the phrase "Karaoke Story Event" in the "Notes" field of the submission. We recommend that you COPY & PASTE it into the NOTES field to avoid typos.
6. Please use “Karaoke” as a story tag.
7. All entries to be submitted by 11:59pm, Thursday October 5th - with a Go Live Date of Tuesday October 10th. You can submit any time between September 25th and October 5th. All stories will be posted on Tuesday October 10th

That’s it.

So what are you waiting for?! Get started!

Happy writing/singing,

Altissimus
Hello! You need to update item number 7 to reflect the 8th, not the 5th, if the 8th is the correct date.

I included some Hamlet for the Ogg memorial challenge. I wish folk looked past that soliloquy from time to time.

I prefer:

What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculties! In form and moving, how express and admirable; in action, how like an angel. In apprehension, how like a god. The beauty of the world, the paragon of animals.

I am reminded of this whenever I enact with my fellow man.

This one always stirs the blood when one faces adversity:

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

My finger is on the button...

And 'Some Guys Have All the Luck' has been released upon an unsuspecting world.

Look forward to seeing the other entries. Good luck to all!

Billy Idol is demanding to be included in this contest in my head. White Wedding, Flesh for Fantasy, Rebel Yell… I’m trying to tell the poor guy his songs don’t inspire me because they’re too chaotic. If someone else can get him off my back at the last minute, it would be appreciated. ;)

I also like Katy Perry & Sarah Hudson’s Dark Horse but there’s just no time. :(

I managed 5 stories before my husband sabotaged my efforts by buying Baldur's Gate 3.

I probably won't write another word for at least a month now... But I managed over 90k words (whether good words or not remains to be seen...) and I figure that gets me a pass for a while.
Yeah, games that are written mostly great will do that to you. Sadly, the developers were not up to the challenge of a satisfying ending IMO. I did like the Bard Duets though.

Are all the stories going to be published on the tenth or is it just the congregated list going live on the tenth? I submitted mine on the first, been a while since I published anything so I dont really remember how long it takes to go live haha, just wanna know so I can stop checking if it’s been published if I know its going up on the tenth

Are all the stories going to be published on the tenth or is it just the congregated list going live on the tenth? I submitted mine on the first, been a while since I published anything so I dont really remember how long it takes to go live haha, just wanna know so I can stop checking if it’s been published if I know its going up on the tenth
All up on the tenth. In your 'pending' folder, you should have an orange 'new' tag and the date should say '10/10/23'.

Screenshot 2023-10-06 084114.png

I'm just going to pre-emptively grab "You don't own me" by Lesley Gore for next year...

...having said I'd never do this again.

TBF, the response has been phenomenal, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how many we end up with, not even counting the 82 stories AchtungNight has been inspired to write (without tags).

I'm just going to pre-emptively grab "You don't own me" by Lesley Gore for next year...

TBF, the response has been phenomenal, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how many we end up with, not even counting the 82 stories AchtungNight has been inspired to write (without tags).
I only ended up writing 3. Blame bipolar flight of ideas and capricious muses who used to be succubi or erinyes (they still are from a certain point of view) for the many casualties. Thx for counting.

Now excuse me- my muses need to tie me up and torture me until I like them again. It’s necessary now and again. Love’s a funny thing.

I'm not going to make it in time. Too much IRL shit happened over the last two months, and I've barely written 5K words on anything in that time. Sorry.

I started a playlist with candidates for next year to see which one(s) jump out at me. At the very least, I'll have some story ideas, anyway.

Please finish Don’t Stand So Close to Me if you can, Erozetta, and post it outside event boundaries. I was looking forward to it.

Wait, that was SimonDoom who promised such a story. Simon, how’s it going? Well, I hope.

I feel I should reiterate that my entries were kinda mostly written already with three exceptions (about 20k words between the three of them) and one I completely started over with (scrapped at 50k, started over, finished around 62k words.)

The other two were just backlog junk entries (about 20k words between the two of them?) that I cleaned up (not well, lol.) and submitted.

I have more files already saved under song titles than I'd care to admit.

Ones I could've done with more time:

Careless Whispers
Wicked Games
Witchy Woman
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Toxic
Coin Operated Boy
A bunch of NIN songs
18th Floor Balcony
Black Orchid
Hate Me
Pretty When You Cry (VAST, but also Lana del Rey)

Like... this is just what I do... songs are emotions, emotions are stories.

I am so looking forward to if there's a next time but I will temper myself and try to be reasonable... I might've gotten a little overly excited after no inspiration or drive to write for like a year...

So impressive! I’m glad your muse has blessed you so, I for one am looking forward to reading. 😊

Whilst my rating is pretty average, hovering just around the 4.5 mark, my story Hollow Talk is getting an absolute ton of reads/clicks incredibly fast. The choice of which category you post in really makes a massive difference, I've come to realize. Seems that mother-and-son stories are incredibly popular here. Even someone new to the website like myself, without a lot of followers, will probably reach over 10,000 readers in the first 24 hours of the story going live. 😲

Whilst my rating is pretty average, hovering just around the 4.5 mark, my story Hollow Talk is getting an absolute ton of reads/clicks incredibly fast. The choice of which category you post in really makes a massive difference, I've come to realize. Seems that mother-and-son stories are incredibly popular here. Even someone new to the website like myself, without a lot of followers, will probably reach over 10,000 readers in the first 24 hours of the story going live. 😲
Yeah, Incest is disproportionately popular on Lit. If that's your thing, you can get a lot of followers very quickly.

For sure. My Halloween submission has 42k views in the first 24hrs. Incest/Taboo is definitely a hot one.

Back