NaPoWriMo Chat, Comments, Commiseration

Barely a third of the way through and I have definitely taken my seat on the Struggle Bus... I hope I have a few good ones left in me, but it's starting to feel like word salad up in here. I feel like my critical faculties have deserted me as far as the ones I'm trying to make... It's like watching a movie with Gal Godot in it - is this a good movie? I can't tell.

You all seem to still be making good poems though. Some of you seem to be getting better as you go, too.

I LOVE Angie's Pentina. Such a clever inspiration, and Calli's right about it being so good you forget it's a form, and then you realize it is and that makes it even better. That one might still be my favorite when all of this is said and done. I like Chomsky a lot and I'd like to say that he would love it too, but I'm afraid he'd just dryly and didactically explain how you missed his point. Have you read John Hollander's Coiled Alizarine?

Calli and Tod doing all of that face-sitting was hot and smart and dirty. There are so many good erotic poems in this thread maybe that's why I can't keep enough blood in my head to write a poem: it's all getting diverted.

Moochie's are all good and/or sexy: I liked Church a lot. Silly for thinking you don't belong.

Champ's Gesso was fantastic.

I was flattered by my poem having inspired Pisc's piece. I was touched and saddened by the reminder of how the pandemic is stealing away people and experiences from us even when it doesn't kill them outright.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Barely a third of the way through and I have definitely taken my seat on the Struggle Bus... I hope I have a few good ones left in me, but it's starting to feel like word salad up in here. I feel like my critical faculties have deserted me as far as the ones I'm trying to make... It's like watching a movie with Gal Godot in it - is this a good movie? I can't tell.

I know how you feel. I took a seat on the bus yesterday, and I don't see my stop on the list at the moment. So, you've got some company, for what it's worth.

Playing off of poems in the thread has worked for most of us, I think. Makes it a bit easier to grab an idea and run with it in the moment. It's tough, but I try not to worry so much if the whole poem is it's best self, but if I like enough of it well enough, I'll post it. Doing challenges like this helped me be a little less critical with myself, in a good way, when I first started writing poetry. I've never gotten through a challenge like this without posting stuff that's better off being forgotten, but I usually end up with a few that I'm rather proud of, even when they might need a bit of a polish. Some days it's just about getting words on the page, saying fuck it, posting it and moving on.

Thirty poems in as many days is a struggle. We all have rough days. I wrote a Fibonacci poem yesterday that's crap. And I'm sure I'll write more before the end of the month. I may take today off. And I can always lean on short, easy forms like the American Sentence. Anyway this ain't a contest; imo it's more like a group practice session. And we're all doing first draft writing.

Also our perspective on our own poems is skewed. Lev, I very much appreciate.your (and Calli's) praise of my Pentina. A few days ago I told tods it was a hot mess. He can back me up on that lol. We are way too hard on ourselves. There's not a poet in this challenge who hasn't produced excellent writing. Just saying.

I agree that this can be the one of the more difficult parts of the month one third over but two thirds left to go. If prompts are a help there are many sources this month. We all will produce some clunkers but there will be gems too, although they may need polish. And as Angie reminds us there are short forms.

Sorry Tzara I may have to join this party tomorrow I’ve thrown my keys in the bowl and maybe we’ll see what comes out :D

Calli.... oil up buttercup we’re going deep :D

Last edited:
Why thank you Ms Musically messy hair avatar! And yes, that last from Tzed had me truly chortling. So much fun, fellas... thank you!!

It's a pretty good one.... my hair is only slightly less messy on a good day :D

Sorry Tzara I may have to join this party tomorrow I’ve thrown my keys in the bowl and maybe we’ll see what comes out :D

Calli.... oil up buttercup we’re going deep :D

:catroar:

Wow lots of good reads today. Tods' poem is very strong, I am fascinated by Snow's take on gender, and Champ busted out a terzi! Nice work y'all. Thanks for the poems. :rose:

Congratulations and well done to Angie, Piscator, Todd, Snow, and Tzara, who have all hit the halfway mark with 15 (or more) poems :)

There's been such good writing, and I've enjoyed reading everyone's poems so much.

I shall third all this. I was particularly impressed with the separation of legs. Very well done!

Thank you all for the kudos. There was a short moment of shaping the intro and outro into a bathtub and a bed...mmh, the saying is probably true, "the journey is the reward."

Comets' Dance

Beside the individual poems, what is fascinating too, are the evolving and random relations between some of them.

To read Tzara's and Champagne's back and forth feels almost too inappropriate, voyeuristic; but after the first lines, giggles and blushing quickly push the feeling of indiscretion aside.

And then there are those that seem perfectly sequenced, even though, I think, it was just coincidental. Like the contrast of Angeline's and tod's 16, both telling us something about our human nature - incredible small and helpless facing nature's unleashed powers vs incredibly mindless and overwhelming in our altering ways. If someone were to make an anthology of the thread and were to decide where to put what, I would ask them to put both on neighboring pages.

Calli's 14/30 Something He Doesn't Remember - so much said and unsaid with so few words

Snow, I'm late to the kudo party, but the shape poem is clever and brilliant. Calli noticing the legs made it better for me - both for the fact that that little nuance had escaped me, and for Calli checking out the legs... :D

I'm with Tods on my muse poem, except to say that even if there was a better edited version, I'm still not sure it would be very good. But I appreciate you folks saying nice things.

Pisc's 16th was fun. Loved the links and I can't wait to get a chance to dig into that second one: there's got to be a poem hiding in there somewhere.

Tzara and Champ should keep inspiring each other. There are multiple levels of jealousy and awe I'm suffering from...

There are so many good poems in here I feel like I'm just goofing around at the back of the class. Better than halfway through though. Still lots of homework to hand in...

Snow, I'm late to the kudo party, but the shape poem is clever and brilliant. Calli noticing the legs made it better for me - both for the fact that that little nuance had escaped me, and for Calli checking out the legs... :D

Glad I could help you out ;)

I'm with Tods on my muse poem, except to say that even if there was a better edited version, I'm still not sure it would be very good. But I appreciate you folks saying nice things.

The point of NaPo, in my opinion, is just to get something on the page. Because you're trying to do that every day (or just most days.. I'm a day behind, currently), some of them are just first drafts, some will be complete throwaways. Sometimes, the idea is good, but the poem doesn't quite work, and you come back to it after all this is over and run with it from there.

So, yes, that piece could use some editing, but it still conveys a mood and kept my interest, so it did it's job well.

There are so many good poems in here I feel like I'm just goofing around at the back of the class. Better than halfway through though. Still lots of homework to hand in...

I feel like that most of the time, too :)

Schlaftrunkene Plejaden

I see the difficulties of translating, Tzara mentioned a few times in the National (USA) Poetry Month thread. Thanks again for adding and commenting a new one each day there.

Some is lost, some is gained:

Sheep heaps of blueish-white wadding
remain still in the light of the red sky.
The guilt laden moon immerses himself demonstratively
narrow-lipped in the horizon on fire.
Seven bodies surrender, languorous
like turtles, to the dawning
fate of decaying amarous hours.

Back