The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2023 Contest Support Thread

Mine's finished, except for the last-minute editing. Not sure if I'm thrilled with how it turned out though. The sexy part is definitely going to please a few people, and the characters are decent, but the overall story feels quite generic. (Haunted House for Halloween special event at a theme park..)

So I was wondering, are we allowed to upload multiple stories for this competition? Because I might still have time to write another one in that case.

Mine's finished, except for the last-minute editing. Not sure if I'm thrilled with how it turned out though. The sexy part is definitely going to please a few people, and the characters are decent, but the overall story feels quite generic. (Haunted House for Halloween special event at a theme park..)

So I was wondering, are we allowed to upload multiple stories for this competition? Because I might still have time to write another one in that case.
Yes... others do so why not...

So, I'm going to do some more editing on mine now. And then I have to come up with the title. I don't think the working title I have for the file conveys what I want it to.

(Also, I'm having to get used to this new laptop...)

But, y'know it's difficult to figure out how to ask for suggestions without giving too much away.

Question:

So I'm writing (finished more or less) a prequel to a previously published story, The Devil And Angel Em.

The Prequel will be a stand alone story with it's own title: The Seduction Of Darkness.

The basic premise is the origin story of a She-demon.

Would the fact that it's a prequel to another story disqualify it from the Halloween event?

If not I may just wait a few weeks to publish it.

Question:

So I'm writing (finished more or less) a prequel to a previously published story, The Devil And Angel Em.

The Prequel will be a stand alone story with it's own title: The Seduction Of Darkness.

Would the fact that it's a prequel to another story disqualify it from the Halloween event?

I don't think it will. I've noticed that lately individual chapters are making into the contests, so I think your story should be fine.

I always thought it had to be a single story, but apparently from what I've seen that's not necessarily the case.

Last edited:
So, I'm going to do some more editing on mine now. And then I have to come up with the title. I don't think the working title I have for the file conveys what I want it to.
My story started with a title, I had to craft a story around it.

I don't think it will. I've noticed that lately individual chapters are making into the contests, so I think your story should be fine.

I always thought it had to be a single story, but apparently from what I've seen, that's not necessarily the case.

Thanks. Don't really care about "winning" the contest, but it does help story exposure.

And I'm really excited about this one.

I always thought it had to be a single story, but apparently from what I've seen, that's not necessarily the case.

It can't be a titled "chapter," but it can certainly be a part of a larger universe. Prequels are absolutely okay... PROVIDED they read as stand-alone stories. Readers should be able to enjoy them independently.

It can't be a titled "chapter," but it can certainly be a part of a larger universe. Prequels are absolutely okay... PROVIDED they read as stand-alone stories. Readers should be able to enjoy them independently.

That's what I've aimed for with thus one. It's it's own story.

Although the ending does have a lead in to the original story of course.

We'll see how it goes, I suppose.

I'm currently in a holding pattern, waiting for a re-edited version of The Devil And Angel Em to publish and that may yet take awhile.

(Also, I'm having to get used to this new laptop...)

But, y'know it's difficult to figure out how to ask for suggestions without giving too much away.
Here's the title: "Zombie Cunnilingus."

You might have to tweak the story to fit the title. But won't that be worth the effort?

Question:

If it's a stand-alone story, strictly speaking it shouldn't be called a prequel. A prequel by definition implies something follows on - which you've acknowledged, it does.

But that's being pedantic. In terms of a contest, you should be okay, but some might say you're sorta kinda going against the spirit of the rules. Stand-alone means... it stands alone, don't it??

Last edited:
Question:

No! The problem with a Chapter is that it's not a complete story, it's just a piece of a story. A chapter has no introduction, no exposition, everything that makes a story a story doesn't exist in a chapter. A proper prequel or sequel does not count as a chapter as long as it is a complete story.

By complete we mean 1. Exposition - characters are introduced and their place in the story is explained (this can happen throughout the story) 2. Rising action/conflict this is the meat of the plot, 3. Climax - whatever the goal of the story is, 4. - Falling action. Once the climax is reached, things wind down, actions of the characters explained, and 5. Resolution - and they all lived happily ever after.

That's why the chapter rule exists, a chapter does not give the reader all five points.

You want some fun? - if you can take a chapter from a story, give it all 5 points, try rewriting it from a different characters view point you'll find an amazing new story

No! The problem with a Chapter is that it's not a complete story, it's just a piece of a story. A chapter has no introduction, no exposition, everything that makes a story a story doesn't exist in a chapter. A proper prequel or sequel does not count as a chapter as long as it is a complete story.

By complete we mean 1. Exposition - characters are introduced and their place in the story is explained (this can happen throughout the story) 2. Rising action/conflict this is the meat of the plot, 3. Climax - whatever the goal of the story is, 4. - Falling action. Once the climax is reached, things wind down, actions of the characters explained, and 5. Resolution - and they all lived happily ever after.

That's why the chapter rule exists, a chapter does not give the reader all five points.

You want some fun? - if you can take a chapter from a story, give it all 5 points, try rewriting it from a different characters view point you'll find an amazing new story

My story covers all points, except 5 isn't so much a complete resolution as it is a lead in to the original story.

So I suppose technically it's not ENTIRELY complete.

I'm not really worried about the contest. If it doesn't qualify, no biggie.

Just figured I'd ask because it does fit the theme.

My story covers all points, except 5 isn't so much a complete resolution as it is a lead in to the original story.

So I suppose technically it's not ENTIRELY complete.

I'm not really worried about the contest. If it doesn't qualify, no biggie.

Just figured I'd ask because it does fit the theme.
GO for it. I seriously doubt the fact that it's a prequel will do anything to cause Laurel to reject it.

GO for it. I seriously doubt the fact that it's a prequel will do anything to cause Laurel to reject it.

We'll see about the timing. The prequel is basically finished, but I'm waiting for a re-edited version of the original to publish. Made a few minor tweaks, just little details to connect them better.

The ending of the prequel is, more or less, "complete," but it does end with a lead in to the original.

And obviously I'm gonna tag the original at the end to hopefully draw readers to it.

That might disqualify it, dunno.

Again, not all that worried about it either way. The contest exposure would be a nice boost. But if not, oh well.

Hello, Rustyoznail, and all the Authors.
I have a short story, entitled "Witch, Cruel Mermaids, Talking Dead". 🧙‍♀️🐷🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️🧜‍♀️🩻🩻
It is not "horror" but it seems to me to be quite in keeping with the Halloween Contest: even though it is set in the time of the Odyssey in the Mediterranean Sea.🏺🏝️🏹🦉
Rusty, do you think it might be acceptable for the Contest? Or are only carved pumpkins and girls dressed up as Harley Quinn allowed?:unsure:🎃🎃🎃

Oh! I'm so sorry... I'm so terribly mortified.
My son says I always talk too much, and this time too, obviously.
The Harley Quinn's costume became the best-selling in the US on a given October of... 2019? I don't know. In my opinion, she is a wonderful character, with so much potential for growth, especially when she is drawn by a master like Stjepan Sejic, or acted by a talented actress like Margot Robbie. So I would be delighted if there were many tales with someone dressed/undressed like Quinn.
As for pumpkins, it's just that they scare me a lot, they know I've eaten a lot of them and so...
Yet my question remains: may I send a tale about Witch from Ancient Greece?

Oh! I'm so sorry... I'm so terribly mortified.
My son says I always talk too much, and this time too, obviously.
The Harley Quinn's costume became the best-selling in the US on a given October of... 2019? I don't know. In my opinion, she is a wonderful character, with so much potential for growth, especially when she is drawn by a master like Stjepan Sejic, or acted by a talented actress like Margot Robbie. So I would be delighted if there were many tales with someone dressed/undressed like Quinn.
As for pumpkins, it's just that they scare me a lot, they know I've eaten a lot of them and so...
Yet my question remains: may I send a tale about Witch from Ancient Greece?
Yes!

Back