The Official Authors' Hangout Halloween 2023 Contest Support Thread

I've got one finished, I think but I feel like I'm missing something.

My first tale (maybe my only one) goes live tomorrow. But I've started a werewolf story that I hope also to enter.

Are you sure stories in the Halloween contests are being marked as going live tomorrow? They aren't supposed to until 2 October.

I only was suggesting a recheck, because if your Halloween contest story is posting tomorrow, something is screwed up on the contest system.

No, in the note fields, it clearly says "HALLOWEEN 2023 entry. This is my entry for the Halloween 2023 contest." I also had a stage HALLOWEEN 2023.

This isn't my first contest. Also, the stories for the last two events went live before the time posted and were added to the event when that list came out.

I can only note again that the Halloween contest stories aren't supposed to post until October. Therefore, any marked as posting tomorrow are a mistake. Laurel hasn't even given a formal announcement of the Halloween contest yet.

What this would be telling me, MD, is that I should message Laurel to make sure my entry wasn't going to be messed up. Look at the OP message on this thread. 2 October. Try to let the problem sink in. I'll stop there. I'll be holding off submitting my stories until the time-honored system is in play.

I know what it says. I was surprised when I checked the other story I had in the cue and that they were both going live tomorrow.

You can begin submitting on (or before): October 2
Note the words or before, I did the before. Time-honored or not, I followed the instructions. It should go live for the event whenever Laural decides.
What this would be telling me, MD, is that I should message Laurel to make sure my entry wasn't going to be messed up. Look at the OP message on this thread. 2 October. Try to let the problem sink in. I'll stop there. I'll be holding off submitting my stories until the time-honored system is in play.

The Halloween merchandise is out in all the shops in Melbourne (Australia). Years ago when I was growing up we had of course heard of Halloween from American books, TV shows, movies, songs and the like, but never really followed it in Australia. Some of my fellow Aussies get pretty grumpy about adopting the celebration since about the mid-late 1990s.

My entry this year is a science fiction Halloween story set in the 1950s.

Okay, it now has the go-live date on it, 10/02/23 rather than just saying "new" and Sam & Tilly went live over night, so all is well in the world.

Okay, it now has the go-live date on it, 10/02/23 rather than just saying "new" and Sam & Tilly went live over night, so all is well in the world.
So, it never did claim the contest story was going to post today, 23 September, as post #108 implies. If the word "new" registers, that doesn't mean the story is posting the next day.

No, but the other story had today's date on it and my mind leaped to a conclusion.
So, it never did claim the contest story was going to post today, 23 September, as post #108 implies. If the word "new" registers, that doesn't mean the story is posting the next day.

This is only my second Halloween story. Last year my story sucked, it was a regular story that had halloween flavoring. This year is different, I used real witches.

Back