"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to Tess and Angeline for commenting on my Pecking Order poem. And to OT for coming back and commenting on my old poem, "Fuck Me." I am always amazed when someone likes my work, I still have trouble liking it myself, just like I hate to have my picture made. I guesss I'm just weird huh.

I do appreciate all of you in so many ways, you are my family.

:heart:

Thank you to Tess and Angeline for commenting on my Pecking Order poem. And to OT for coming back and commenting on my old poem, "Fuck Me." I am always amazed when someone likes my work, I still have trouble liking it myself, just like I hate to have my picture made. I guesss I'm just weird huh.

I do appreciate all of you in so many ways, you are my family.

Hey, when I looked at the poem yesterday, the comments were off. I sent you an email about your poem. Anyway, I'll go check again and comment. ;)

Hey, when I looked at the poem yesterday, the comments were off. I sent you an email about your poem. Anyway, I'll go check again and comment. ;)

You know that little icon thing on yahoo messenger that is supposed to tell you when you have a new email? Well mine isnt working. I checked it when I saw this message and had several Lit messages.

Thank you for your email and comment, And thank you, greenmountaineer, and Annie for your time spent reading my poem and commenting, and you too, EO. You are right, it can go either way and I am sure in some relationships it does.

The one thing about that poem that makes me giggle is the last word, "stir." It means for him to get up off his arse and do something for a change. Hehe. Yep, ol hubby has been waiting on me hand and foot :D

You poets are just great and I have been enjoying reading all of you. I have discovered some new poets who show promise and a few that seem like they must be pros and are just hiding out here for relaxation.

This past week has been fun.

:rose:

Thanks to NJ and Eve for comments on Holy Trinity atually I was in two minds (oops lol pun not intended) whether to submit it or not. It's been sitting for a while gathering dust

be strong those who are deviod of optimism

for amongst us lurk creative gods...

One for certain has a mind so deep and so pure - that hope springs eternal.

Check previous posts for background and watch this space...for Dastardly has found a muse...!

Grins...rather egocentric reply perhaps - but do watch this space poetry appreciators...
D

No only that, but defines himself as "Extremely Masculine". I'm extremely feminine, I like brushing my girlfriend's hair and gossiping and listening to Simon and Garfunkel pre-"Graduate" and baking eclairs and watching teen soap operas.

D-One, I thought your poems were about God n Jesus n stuff, now I come to find out they're not?

edit: and rhubarb pies too.

Last edited:
Ell"wand\, n. Formerly, a measuring rod an ell long.

Ell –noun
a former measure of length, varying in different countries: in England equal to 45 in. (114 cm).

Never heard of it before. Did a quick grep and it's also in my meter program's dictionary.

An ell is supposed to have been the measurement of from Henry 8ths nose to the end of his outstretched fingers or something like that ...... he was a big fella!

An ell is supposed to have been the measurement of from Henry 8ths nose to the end of his outstretched fingers or something like that ...... he was a big fella!

Cool, couldn't have guessed anything like that. Thanks. Since we're on the topic of kings and units of measurement... What's the story with the Queen Mother? I don't know if she's still alive, but when she was what was she exactly? Queen Elizabeth has a husband still and they call him King right? How come he's never around, is he a deadbeat Dad?

Cool, couldn't have guessed anything like that. Thanks. Since we're on the topic of kings and units of measurement... What's the story with the Queen Mother? I don't know if she's still alive, but when she was what was she exactly? Queen Elizabeth has a husband still and they call him King right? How come he's never around, is he a deadbeat Dad?

The Queen Mother died in 2002 she was the wife of King George VI the mother of the present Queen Elizabeth. She was a fabulous lady and during the war refused to leave London because she couldn't live with herself when her people were being bombed and she had left them for safety. She was never meant to be queen as her husband wasn't the first son but had to take over as king when his brother Edward VIII abdicated so he could marry divorceé Wallis Simpson
The husband of the present Queen Elizabeth isn't called the King no (a king's wife is a queen but a queen's husband isn't a king!) he is the Duke of Edinburgh and getting pretty frail now being in his 80s. In his younger days he had a penchant for opening his mouth and putting his foot in it, insulting all and sundry. Don't tell him I said that I don't want to end up in the Tower!

I, too, Googled "ell" and got the answer that an "ell" is a measure from an elbow to the tip of a finger. I don't recall which one as it was late and I was bleary-eyed.

Good morning, Y'all.

:)

I, too, Googled "ell" and got the answer that an "ell" is a measure from an elbow to the tip of a finger. I don't recall which one as it was late and I was bleary-eyed.

Good morning, Y'all.

yeah you're probably right I couldn't remember which measurement it was

Good morning, Y'all.

If my definition has validity (dictionary.com) must be elbow one one arm to fingertip of other (45 in)

If my definition has validity (dictionary.com) must be elbow one one arm to fingertip of other (45 in)

I googled it what a wierd definition! Is it American? >>>>>>>>>>> ducks and runs >>>>
Got visions now of Our Henry flapping his arms around semaphore style

Yo, remember in all those greek books about Cubits and Stadii? Cubit was elbow to tip of finger, maybe we have something here. We need a revaluation of values, more opinions on what an ellwand could be. Eve used it, so maybe she can give us a new perspective.

This wikipedia talks about Roman Ulna, Sumerian Cubit, Royal Cubit. It differentiates between french and english ell. The measurement EO gives is for a French Ell, English Ell was measured from armpit to cross lateral finger tip. But the question would then be, is the English Ell the same as King Henry's Ell or Ell wand that Eve originally used. This is all too much for my brain at five in the morning.

Last edited:
Yo, remember in all those greek books about Cubits and Stadii? Cubit was elbow to tip of finger, maybe we have something here. We need a revaluation of values, more opinions on what an ellwand could be. Eve used it, so maybe she can give us a new perspective.

This wikipedia talks about Roman Ulna, Sumerian Cubit, Royal Cubit. It differentiates between french and english ell. The measurement EO gives is for a French Ell, English Ell was measured from armpit to cross lateral finger tip. But the question would then be, is the English Ell the same as King Henry's Ell or Ell wand that Eve originally used. This is all too much for my brain at five in the morning.
And then there's the classic furlongs/fortnight

And then there's the classic furlongs/fortnight

all I can say is thank goodness for the metric system. I can handle kilos ;) and meters, grams and liters, but inches give me itches and if pounds are some sort of currency, and if one follows the rules are grammar how should I address a/an Euro?

Oh no....

I'm a long woman. 5'10. My man isn't quite as tall as I am, so I wrote a poem about how he takes care of his long woman. I need long walks to stretch my long legs. Then I went into measurements in the poem. Now keep in mind, I wrote this and almost immediately submitted it with very little editing, which I normally don't do. I was on wikipedia, looking for interesting units of measurement, when I saw an image of the Vitruvian Man. I actually have some interesting digital art that I created, called Vitruvian Legs. This image mentions the English and French ell, which led me to the ell-wand. Being into bdsm I naturally thought of some sort of whipping wand. lol So in the poem, he strikes me with an ell wand until my arms reach out further toward him, wanting more of course.

I'm a long woman. 5'10. My man isn't quite as tall as I am, so I wrote a poem about how he takes care of his long woman. I need long walks to stretch my long legs. Then I went into measurements in the poem. Now keep in mind, I wrote this and almost immediately submitted it with very little editing, which I normally don't do. I was on wikipedia, looking for interesting units of measurement, when I saw an image of the Vitruvian Man. I actually have some interesting digital art that I created, called Vitruvian Legs. This image mentions the English and French ell, which led me to the ell-wand. Being into bdsm I naturally thought of some sort of whipping wand. lol So in the poem, he strikes me with an ell wand until my arms reach out further toward him, wanting more of course.

Evie-

Okay, this will sound totally stupid, but there was an episode of Gilligan's Island where they somehow ended up in a torture chamber and Ginger wound up on a stretching board. Some type of machine that stretches, I have always thought that looked so cool and hubby says when we get our own place, he is gonna build one for me.

Maybe Hugo will build one for you? You lucky long woman, you.

Evie-

Okay, this will sound totally stupid, but there was an episode of Gilligan's Island where they somehow ended up in a torture chamber and Ginger wound up on a stretching board. Some type of machine that stretches, I have always thought that looked so cool and hubby says when we get our own place, he is gonna build one for me.

Maybe Hugo will build one for you? You lucky long woman, you.

I really don't need to be any longer. :D

all I can say is thank goodness for the metric system. I can handle kilos ;) and meters, grams and liters, but inches give me itches and if pounds are some sort of currency, and if one follows the rules are grammar how should I address a/an Euro?

Oh no....

You've got a good point there but as it's pronounced as beginning with a 'Y' I suppose that's why they don't say 'an Euro' . Funny folk those Europeans and no I am not one Europe is miles away I am English!
Anyone for a firkin?

Me and EO wanna know if you went with the English or French ell?

Me and EO wanna know if you went with the English or French ell?

Rofllllll I read that as ELF sorreeeeee Eve but now I have visions of you consorting with two vertically challenged gentlemen. Come into the boudoir ma petite we can make bootiful amour together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back