"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Vampiredust,

thank you for the mentions, but you all know me!! Im just reposting old work so I wont lose it in case this computer dies. I feel so bad, like Im just taking away from others. I want constructive crit on my work, especially ash and ochre. I have submitted it to several places and it was rejected by all. why? I am bllind to its problems, and rybka once told me it was chronologically incorrect, that isnt it, ( well, it is to him and that is good feedback, but there must be more to it than that, I mean most folks arent all that up on anthropology, are they?? :D

whats wrong...maybe I should put it on the poetry discussion circle or something cause I really want it to "work"

thanks again for your kindness, its much appreciated :rose:

ack. should have posted here rather than the review thread. Thanks for the mentions folks. I've had a very warm welcome here and appreciate it so much. Thank you to those who have dropped a comment my way or PMed. And to folks who post such evocative works. I've really enjoyed reading here and Ghost Girl your Passion poem leads me to think I'll enjoy reading your poems as you repost them.

I know I'm causing a bit of a ruckus over the bombings. Please know that the majority of votes and comments I've gotten were warm ones and that I am really grateful for those. Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm really pleased to be meeting such nice people. Makes me glad to no longer be a lurker. =D

cherries_on_snow said:
ack. should have posted here rather than the review thread. Thanks for the mentions folks. I've had a very warm welcome here and appreciate it so much. Thank you to those who have dropped a comment my way or PMed. And to folks who post such evocative works. I've really enjoyed reading here and Ghost Girl your Passion poem leads me to think I'll enjoy reading your poems as you repost them.

I know I'm causing a bit of a ruckus over the bombings. Please know that the majority of votes and comments I've gotten were warm ones and that I am really grateful for those. Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm really pleased to be meeting such nice people. Makes me glad to no longer be a lurker. =D

Dear cherries :)

Dont you worry about your ruckus, at one time or another, we have all had the same problem and been upset in the same way. Its okay, just keep writing :rose: I enjoy your work too:)

4 of my old poems were posted today. I have left the voting off in the past, but left it on for these, just to prove a point...and darling, I got bombed too, I just sat back and laughed because those trolls with low self esteem are predictable to the point of being pitiful.

The most important thing to remember is NEVER ever base your self worth as a poet on those trivial votes. I certainly dont, but at one time I did and I have learned and now, its all about the FB and the improving of my work and there are poets here who are amazing!! yo know some of them, anna, rainman, angeline, lauren, flyguy, senna, just to mention a few

I especially need help with my ash and ochre poem. I have had several poems published other places and finally made it into print, but that one poem keeps being rejected and I need to FIX it, lol :D

I am glad to know that you enjoy my work, that is all the validation I need as a humand and as a poet

:heart:

g-g

ghost_girl said:
Dear cherries :)

Dont you worry about your ruckus, at one time or another, we have all had the same problem and been upset in the same way. Its okay, just keep writing :rose: I enjoy your work too:)

4 of my old poems were posted today. I have left the voting off in the past, but left it on for these, just to prove a point...and darling, I got bombed too, I just sat back and laughed because those trolls with low self esteem are predictable to the point of being pitiful.

The most important thing to remember is NEVER ever base your self worth as a poet on those trivial votes. I certainly dont, but at one time I did and I have learned and now, its all about the FB and the improving of my work and there are poets here who are amazing!! yo know some of them, anna, rainman, angeline, lauren, flyguy, senna, just to mention a few

I especially need help with my ash and ochre poem. I have had several poems published other places and finally made it into print, but that one poem keeps being rejected and I need to FIX it, lol :D

I am glad to know that you enjoy my work, that is all the validation I need as a humand and as a poet

g-g

Amen to that. The votes are just a very small quickie snapshot of readers' responses. Not everyone will react the same way to the written word. If they did this place sure would be boring. We all just need to keep on writing and enjoying the process, as well as the results.

And g-g, thanks for the note. You very well may have uncorked my genie muse who's been hiding out and left me floundering in a brain-dead funk.

:rose:

LeBroz said:
Amen to that. The votes are just a very small quickie snapshot of readers' responses. Not everyone will react the same way to the written word. If they did this place sure would be boring. We all just need to keep on writing and enjoying the process, as well as the results.

And g-g, thanks for the note. You very well may have uncorked my genie muse who's been hiding out and left me floundering in a brain-dead funk.

oooohhh, a funky flounder..I think i ate one before. Glad to be of help :D

xoxox

g_g

Tom Collins said:
I'm concluding that this has been aimed at me so I'll happily answer the questions posed.
I don't see myself playing any rolls beyond the friendly face occasionally encountered. I don't critique other people's work because all I really know about writing is what I like or don't like and would fail miserable at attempting to explain why I did or didn't enjoy something. ...

hi and welcome to the Poetry Forum. :) (if i've welcomed you before i don't remember - lousy memory.)

i'd just like to say something about the comment you made that i've highlighted above.

i think that knowing what you like and don't like is an excellent beginning for giving feedback to any writer. that's how i began. it not only allows you to voice your opinion based on the impression you have, but it also allows the poet to analyse your comment and to see if they can see where the difficulty is in their writing and if they can (or wish) to alter their words.

if you can say you like something, cool. try delving a little deeper and seeing if you can work out why you like it... that's even more helpful. is it a feeling, a turn of phrase, a clear image? take the time to let the reasons come and you'll be surprised what you learn. :)

anyhow, before i waffle for England...

welcome

Thanks to S&D, Art and vampiredust for the reviews. Thanks to all others for the reads and comments....

EDIT: I am such an idiot sometimes..... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I will be on the road shortly...

until late this evening...anyone wishes to jump in today as a fill-in please do..if not ..I will try for late this evening..ty..blue

Thank you Vampiredust, for mentioning my work even t hough its just old stuff Im reposting. I wont do it anymore, at least not in such volume., I promise.

I Was hoping to get some constructive crit...thanks to minsue for her pointing out the word "infuse" and how she feels about that, and to everyone who has read and commented. Your ( plural) friendship and support means so much to me and during the hard times its all that keeps me going. You have no idea how much I miss my old home, and having to return daily to feed my dogs is just making it so much harder. I will be glad when hubby moves them, so I dont have to see whats left of the place.

thanks again to all of you,

love, g-g

wildsweetone said:
hi and welcome to the Poetry Forum. :) (if i've welcomed you before i don't remember - lousy memory.)

i'd just like to say something about the comment you made that i've highlighted above.

i think that knowing what you like and don't like is an excellent beginning for giving feedback to any writer. that's how i began. it not only allows you to voice your opinion based on the impression you have, but it also allows the poet to analyse your comment and to see if they can see where the difficulty is in their writing and if they can (or wish) to alter their words.

if you can say you like something, cool. try delving a little deeper and seeing if you can work out why you like it... that's even more helpful. is it a feeling, a turn of phrase, a clear image? take the time to let the reasons come and you'll be surprised what you learn. :)

anyhow, before i waffle for England...

welcome

Thank you for the welcome, wild. I don't belive that we have met but I could be mistaken about that as my memory is no better than your own. :D

I try very hard to explain what I do and don't like about a story that I've read, if I feel compelled to comment on it. It's much easier with stories than poetry.

Poetry, for me, is so much more subjective a thing. It's so incredibly intamate an art form, that I can't see where my opinion on the rhyme sceme or word choice is relivant. Does it matter that I would have used a word other than they did? Would that not make it my outpouring of self rather than theirs? To be perfectly honest, and I'm sure that anyone who's read the ones that I've written already know this...lol, I have no training in poetry other than what one gets in Junior High. I know nothing of the technical aspects of the art. What's considered proper form, rhyme scheme and meter and all of that. So I can't even critque on the technical quality of a given piece.

I simply use the form that suggests its self as the piece is shaped. I realize now, upon thinking about it, that what I use a seperation of stanzas, usually a quatrain but not always, is to seperate thoughts or ideas on the same subject. I don't know if that's what one is supsed to do but it's what I use them for. If I don't want that seperation, that pause between connected thoughts, then I run it all together. Whether or not a given piece rhymes or not i dependant, purely, upon how the forst bit of a piece comes into my mind.

So, since I write poetry by the seat of my pants :rolleyes:, how could I be qualified to judge someone else's?:eek:

ghost_girl said:
Thank you Vampiredust, for mentioning my work even t hough its just old stuff Im reposting. I wont do it anymore, at least not in such volume., I promise.

I Was hoping to get some constructive crit...thanks to minsue for her pointing out the word "infuse" and how she feels about that, and to everyone who has read and commented. Your ( plural) friendship and support means so much to me and during the hard times its all that keeps me going. You have no idea how much I miss my old home, and having to return daily to feed my dogs is just making it so much harder. I will be glad when hubby moves them, so I dont have to see whats left of the place.

thanks again to all of you,

love, g-g

That wasn't minsue. :)

Unless she pointed it out, too.

Tom Collins said:
<snip>
So, since I write poetry by the seat of my pants :rolleyes:, how could I be qualified to judge someone else's?:eek:
Welcome to the Poetry Feedback and Discussion forum.

If we all thought that way, then no one would offer feedback, ever, on anything.

It has often been said both in the AH and here, albeit by different litizens, that feedback primarily is a tool for writers to use when examining if their message is effective. When taken in this context, even simple comments like "This sucks" or "This is great"; will have merit when used in such a manner.

Tom Collins said:
Thank you for the welcome, wild. I don't belive that we have met but I could be mistaken about that as my memory is no better than your own. :D

I try very hard to explain what I do and don't like about a story that I've read, if I feel compelled to comment on it. It's much easier with stories than poetry.

Poetry, for me, is so much more subjective a thing. It's so incredibly intamate an art form, that I can't see where my opinion on the rhyme sceme or word choice is relivant. Does it matter that I would have used a word other than they did? Would that not make it my outpouring of self rather than theirs? To be perfectly honest, and I'm sure that anyone who's read the ones that I've written already know this...lol, I have no training in poetry other than what one gets in Junior High. I know nothing of the technical aspects of the art. What's considered proper form, rhyme scheme and meter and all of that. So I can't even critque on the technical quality of a given piece.

I simply use the form that suggests its self as the piece is shaped. I realize now, upon thinking about it, that what I use a seperation of stanzas, usually a quatrain but not always, is to seperate thoughts or ideas on the same subject. I don't know if that's what one is supsed to do but it's what I use them for. If I don't want that seperation, that pause between connected thoughts, then I run it all together. Whether or not a given piece rhymes or not i dependant, purely, upon how the forst bit of a piece comes into my mind.

You have the most important qualification of all--you're a reader. It doesn't matter whether or not you have any formal training in poetry or literature, what matters is that you have the ability to read a poem and respond to it or not. If it reaches you, moves you in some way and you let the poet know, you have given her or him a great gift. And my guess is that even without training you could say why you liked a poem: maybe you visualized the images or heard sounds or music in it. Maybe it just was vivid enough to remind you of something you experienced. And maybe you can also say if a certain line or portion of the poem wasn't clear to you or you thought it didn't fit with the rest of the poem. That's really all critique needs to be because it helps the poet understand how well they have communicated to the readers. I like to know that so I can gauge whether what I write is doing what I expect it to do.

It is an intimate art form--that's what makes it so wonderful to me. It has the ability to communicate intimately to strangers. I think that's thrilling--and I don't have any criteria for the "credentials" of people who read my poems.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted to Black Magma. You guys are great!

I am blown away by the commentary on my new poems.
Thanks going out to MistressJett and VampireDust for their very kind comments on the new poem reviews ...
Big Big Thank You's ~!!! :D

As to the readers ... my halo is off to ya'll. Umm ... wings that is, ya'll have them a'twitter with glee and .. :eek: Well OK, I am just trying to say Thank You ~!!

As of late, been a long dry road with no water in sight. The writes, happen when they happen is all I know ... Thank you all again, I really am very humbled ~

:rose: :rose:

RhymeFairy said:
I am blown away by the commentary on my new poems.
Thanks going out to MistressJett and VampireDust for their very kind comments on the new poem reviews ...
Big Big Thank You's ~!!! :D

As to the readers ... my halo is off to ya'll. Umm ... wings that is, ya'll have them a'twitter with glee and .. :eek: Well OK, I am just trying to say Thank You ~!!

As of late, been a long dry road with no water in sight. The writes, happen when they happen is all I know ... Thank you all again, I really am very humbled ~

:rose: :rose:

Edited to ADD ~~

Thank You LeBroz for the icing on my cake ~
I am blown away by the reception I am getting on these 3 poems. Everyone has their own taste, and it all comes out in the mix eh ~ :eek:

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back