2009 Survivor Poetry Challenge: Discussion and Announcements

this one made me sick too. I was determined to write one about Pushkin himself-- and even had a lead (he was proud of his paternal grandfather for his african descent, I wanted to do the "Black Russian" twist with this one as well. )

But I could not pull it off, not with hours of research on this writer I knew next to nothing about. At any rate. I stuck to what I know and wrote about the Black Russian drink :rolleyes:

You are really on a roll Tess!

Spring break is over and I am ready to start writing again.... see how it rolls...

you've beaten me to it I've been rolling that round my tongue for a while!

you've beaten me to it I've been rolling that round my tongue for a while!

you were gonna write a yummy black russian Onegin Stanza? Cool! It will keep mine company :) I feel kind of bad because mine is kind of inflammatory and I personally, unashamedly, like the drink (and its milky counterpart)

you were gonna write a yummy black russian Onegin Stanza? Cool! It will keep mine company :) I feel kind of bad because mine is kind of inflammatory and I personally, unashamedly, like the drink (and its milky counterpart)
The Black Russian

Mix coffee liquor with some vodka,
Most typically two parts to three
(Or two to five when in Nakhodka,
A city on the Japan Sea).
But slam down several, you'll be beaming
Crookedly, or perhaps leaning,
For that's a lot of ethanol
Served by the Hotel Metropole
(a hotel actually in Brussels,
which is not Russia—funny, that—
at least it wasn't in North Platte).
In any case, beware of tussles,
for drink can often lead to rage.
Be moderate—let charm engage.

I'll drink to that :)

Like your brussels rhyme--did you wikipedia Black Russian like I did:D

My forms are all mixed up as I just finished (almost) Ottava Rima.

The Black Russian

Mix coffee liquor with some vodka,
Most typically two parts to three
(Or two to five when in Nakhodka,
A city on the Japan Sea).
But slam down several, you'll be beaming
Crookedly, or perhaps leaning,
For that's a lot of ethanol
Served by the Hotel Metropole
(a hotel actually in Brussels,
which is not Russia—funny, that—
at least it wasn't in North Platte).
In any case, beware of tussles,
for drink can often lead to rage.
Be moderate—let charm engage.

I'll drink to that :)

Like your brussels rhyme--did you wikipedia Black Russian like I did:D

My forms are all mixed up as I just finished (almost) Ottava Rima.
In honor of Ms. Pearl Mesta,
A bartender poured out this drink.
An easy cocktail, hardly test 'a
One's mixologic skill, I think.
Take five parts vodka, two Kahlua
Dump over ice and that'll do ya;
It makes an alcoholic bomb
That quite explodes one's chic aplomb.
The Irish, though, are somewhat leery
Of this sweet drink, in fact they flout
Convention, topping it with stout
(Which leaves their Russian smelling beery).

Whichever drink you've drunk, don't drive—
A cab will get you home alive.

In honor of Ms. Pearl Mesta,
A bartender poured out this drink.
An easy cocktail, hardly test 'a
One's mixologic skill, I think.
Take five parts vodka, two Kahlua
Dump over ice and that'll do ya;
It makes an alcoholic bomb
That quite explodes one's chic aplomb.
The Irish, though, are somewhat leery
Of this sweet drink, in fact they flout
Convention, topping it with stout
(Which leaves their Russian smelling beery).

Whichever drink you've drunk, don't drive—
A cab will get you home alive.

uuuuuuuuu sodddddddd u pinched my Kahlua word shant do it now shall sulkkkkkkkk

uuuuuuuuu sodddddddd u pinched my Kahlua word shant do it now shall sulkkkkkkkk
I can't monopolize Kahlúa®,
Not even if I tried, my dear.
It's trademarked, registered, kaplooa!
I have no rights; you have no fear
Of my effective litigation
That any poem, in celebration,
Makes use of trademarks not my own.
(It's copyright that rules this town.)
So use it with my blessing, either
In one careful line or two
Or seventeen, if that fits you,
Your poem, your art, aesthetic blather.
Just write your poem how you want to.
What works will work. What won't? That too.

I can't monopolize Kahlúa®,
Not even if I tried, my dear.
It's trademarked, registered, kaplooa!
I have no rights; you have no fear
Of my effective litigation
That any poem, in celebration,
Makes use of trademarks not my own.
(It's copyright that rules this town.)
So use it with my blessing, either
In one careful line or two
Or seventeen, if that fits you,
Your poem, your art, aesthetic blather.
Just write your poem how you want to.
What works will work. What won't? That too.

sulking that you can write just like that too ....... pouts n trips over lip

Proposal for Round 2

I have a modest proposal. Don't shoot yet.

Upon looking at Round 2, I am disappointed in that I really do not want to write any more forms, and I kind of do not like that we can insert two totally "free" poems. (yes I said that) I feel like I lose my voice, style and rhythm when I write form, and I see that happening to others as well. After round 1, we will have proven that we can forms, now let us prove we can use the other elements of poetry.

(I understand and agree 100% with the issue of not recycling the triggers, but I feel that way about the forms just as much.)

Here is my proposal for us to extend the challenge and the experience:

Instead of recycling the forms (which is, in fact only one element of poetry!) can we focus on the many other elements of poetry? I have seen that in writing form, many of us drop the skills we have learned.

Here is a list compiled from different sources. I can add more information if this is approved.

I think it would be a really good challenge. Most of us have used many of these, but some will really stretch us. I never heard of a few of them! If many of us are interested in this, we can present it to Lauren. I can do a poll, too if that would help.

Poetic Elements:

1. Allegory is a narrative or description that has a second meaning beneath the surface one. Although the surface story or description may have its own interest, the author's major interest is in the ulterior meaning. Allegory has been defined as an extended metaphor and sometimes as a series of related symbols.

2. Alliteration
Two or more words which have the same initial sound.

3. Apostrophe, which consists in addressing someone absent or something non human as if it were alive and present and could reply to what is being said

4. Allusion, a reference to something in history or previous literature, is, like a richly connotative word or a symbol, a means of suggesting far more that it says. Allusions are a means of reinforcing the emotion or the ideas of one's own work with the emotion or ideas of another work or occasion. Because they are capable of saying so much in so little, they are extremely useful to the poet.

5. Assonance
A partial rhyme which has the same internal vowel sounds amongst different words. ie. June and boot.

6. Imagery:
Poetry communicates experience and experience comes to us largely through the senses (seeing, hearing, smelling, feeling, and touching). Imagery may be defined as the representation through language of sense experience.

7. Irony has meanings that extend beyond its use merely as a figure of speech. Verbal irony, saying the opposite of what one means, is often confused with sarcasm and with satire. Sarcasm and satire both imply ridicule, one on the colloquial level, the other on the literary level. The term irony always implies some sort of discrepancy or incongruity: between what is said and what is meant, or between appearance and reality, or between expectation and fulfillment (dramatic irony and irony of situation).

8. Metaphor
A comparison which does not use the words like or as.

9. Metonymy (the use of something closely related for the thing actually meant)

10. Onomatopoeia Words that sound like their meaning. For example, buzz, moo, pow.

11. Overstatement, or hyperbole, is simply exaggeration but exaggeration in the service of truth.

12. Paradox is an apparent contradiction that is nevertheless true. It may either be a situation or a statement ("damn with faint praise")

13. Personification consists in giving the attributes of a human being to an animal, an object, or a concept.

14. Repetitions
The repetition of the same word throughout the poem to emphasize significance.

15. Rhyme
The repetition of sounds within different words, either end sound, middle or beginning.

16. Rhythm
The flow of words within each meter and stanza.

17. Simile
A comparison using the words like or as.

18. Symbol
Something that represents something else through association, resemblance or convention

19. Synecdoche (the use of the part for the whole)

20. Understatement, or saying less than one means, may exist in what one says or merely in how one says it

21. Word Order: take a poem and reorganize the word order to show how the meaning changes

Also, if you have other ideas for Round 2....

BTW: with my proposal, you could still use any form you want if you so choose to express yourself in that form.

If we are voting on anything I prefer it as it is and feel that this change should be a challenge on it's own or failing that a personal choice. I signed on to do the challenge as is and if this lot come into being chances are I will back out.

Last edited:
If we are voting on anything I prefer it as it is and feel that this change should be a challenge on it's own or failing that a personal choice.

hopefully any poem would have at least one of the elements --

I am surprised at this strong of a reaction to a suggestion that we use poetic elements in writing poetry, but of course, I respect your preferences.

I signed on to do the challenge as is and if this lot come into being chances are I will back out.

Actually we signed on do the challenge with the second round being an exact repeat of the first round. I thought since it had been changed mid-stream that perhaps the challenge would be open to other suggestions from participants. Perhaps you want to go back to the original rules? Or just take the changes that you/others prefer?

Your suggestion to make it a separate challenge is a good one. Maybe Lauren will challenge us on a monthly contest to use some of the more advanced poetic elements and allow the form to be free. Or maybe I will post a challenge after I am done the first round of survivor.

My biggest issue with the contest is the over-emphasis on forms as meter is only one element of poetry. The others can be forgotten if one wishes. I could write a sonnet without a single element of poetry, just a collection of syllables if I chose.

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in.

oh hell now I feel bad forget I said anything

don't feel bad or you will make me feel even more bad ;)

I am glad you stated your feelings on the subject, I knew it would be a tricky thing to bring up, it took me over a month to get the courage. I had to put Kara Thrace on my av and everything. You know. To get my back. No one better for it.

ohhhhh no and I stomped on you ..... to tell you the truth it's because I don't know how to do those things and was scared but don't tell anyone. I suppose if I had help I could come round to it like when the Challenge was first talked about and I teetered on the edge until Tz shoved me in and then I was glad he did!

ohhhhh no and I stomped on you ..... to tell you the truth it's because I don't know how to do those things and was scared but don't tell anyone. I suppose if I had help I could come round to it like when the Challenge was first talked about and I teetered on the edge until Tz shoved me in and then I was glad he did!

secret is safe with me. Truth is, you already probably do all of those things when you write, you just did not know they had a specific term. There are a few that do scare me. Like this one: 19. Synecdoche (the use of the part for the whole) But I think they are scary just because they are foreign to me, and I want to jump in and learn the language, then it is not as scary to be in a new place.

I think if this proposal goes through, it will be fun to look for examples and of course you will get help! Some of them are really easy. Like alliteration and simile.

19. Synecdoche (the use of the part for the whole)

In Linbido's Branches and Twigs she uses these parts to build the tree.

It's like talking about sweet to mean a dessert or the final course referring to an entire dinner... Know what I mean? If you don't it's ok since I don't either.

I have a modest proposal. Don't shoot yet.
OK. ;)
Upon looking at Round 2, I am disappointed in that I really do not want to write any more forms, and I kind of do not like that we can insert two totally "free" poems. (yes I said that) I feel like I lose my voice, style and rhythm when I write form, and I see that happening to others as well. After round 1, we will have proven that we can forms, now let us prove we can use the other elements of poetry.

(I understand and agree 100% with the issue of not recycling the triggers, but I feel that way about the forms just as much.)
As you know (I've said this before), I really don't like the triggers. They are, in my opinion, over-specific and tend to more dull my inspiration than stimulate it. You, Anna, commented on one of my recent poems that it was a limerick and you were sorry I had to write one. Actually, it was my second one (I'd already fulfilled the limerick form requirement), which I wrote mainly because of my distaste for the particular trigger, and I just wanted to get it out of the way. Limericks are easy to write (I think I spent five minutes on that one).

It was not, however, much of a fulfilling experience. :rolleyes:
Here is my proposal for us to extend the challenge and the experience:

Instead of recycling the forms (which is, in fact only one element of poetry!) can we focus on the many other elements of poetry? I have seen that in writing form, many of us drop the skills we have learned.

Here is a list compiled from different sources.<snip>
I generally don't have a problem with form. Some forms (especially the one everyone else seems to detest, the Onegin Stanza) I quite enjoy composing. I like the Clerihew, though think of them as toss-off things and would not normally post them. Ditto the double dactyl form—they're at best, amusement. Kind of like like writing something clever on a lavatory stall.

Now Lit sometimes seems like a lav stall in a particularly grotty neighborhood, but at its best, it is much more than that. Then there are forms that are fairly simple to write badly, but extremely difficult to write well. I could pretty easily crank out another sestina, but I don't want to.

I'm not really opposed to your proposal, but what I'd really rather see is just all restrictions being removed for round two. Write whatever you want, basically.

I think the intent of the triggers was to try to insure that someone wasn't merely popping up poems they'd written years ago. Since, at least so far, there only seems to be four or five of us seriously working away at the challenge, I don't think we need to worry about that. For me, it doesn't matter anyway. I don't want to win. (I want to be ahead until the end, but that is an entirely different thing. :))

If there's form requirements, but no triggers, I'll probably continue, at least sporadically. If there are technique requirements, but no triggers, ditto.

No triggers, no forms would suit me best. But maybe that means no contest.

Hey. I'm gonna need a scorecard revision shortly. Just sayin'.

I've already read that thanks but I am sure someone once gave me a height and width pixel size different from that
I would think that Lit's own statement about the requirements would be what you need to pay attention to.

Or be the safest bet, anyway.

I assure you, my participation in the Survivor Challenge is just as serious as anyone else's. I see Poets' Survivor a personal exercise to test your own mettle in writing 25 designated form, 25 poet's choice form and 12 monthly challenge poems over the course of 2009. There's nothing in the rules about speed or quality.

The only competition should be with yourself, congratulations if you happen to earn more points than anyone else. I think you should be able to do so within the constraints of the already agreed upon rules. I'd appreciate it if folks would stop balking at triggers, details or form requirements and write on.

I've already read that thanks but I am sure someone once gave me a height and width pixel size different from that
The max size upload to attach to a forum post (100KB file size and 800W X 600H image size) is different than the size of an upload to the submissions queue. Could that be what you're referring to? You can hotlink to nearly any size image already posted on a server though, so that's one way around Literotica imposed limits.

Back