Common language

Colorado natives (those of us born here) don't pronounce a t in the middle of words. Sometimes not at the end of the word either.

This makes a mountain a mounain.

We plug a thingy into a socket...

Obviously the thing with the prongs at the end of a cord is the "plug," not the power outlet on the wall.

Still, most people I know anyway, if I ask "where can I plug this in?" and they answer "there's a plug over there on that wall," I get their meaning 😆.

If you accidentally touch a 60Hz mains, your nervous system "grabs" the cable and you can't let go, and like as not, you're dead.

If you accidentally touch a 50Hz mains, the nervous reaction is the opposite, you "let go" and your hand flies away.

So you're more likely to die from electrocution in America, despite the mains voltage being only half that of most other countries in the world. That's engineers for ya ;).
The grabbing is a function of AC vs DC. They are only 10Hz apart and will have the same effect. The higher voltage may be more likely to throw you, but you can easily die from both systems.

The grabbing is a function of AC vs DC. They are only 10Hz apart and will have the same effect. The higher voltage may be more likely to throw you, but you can easily die from both systems.
The 60 cycles per minute is far more dangerous on the AC as it is about the same as your own electrical system—the one inside your body.

Cool idea for a thread. However, aside from the OP, very few posters are bothering to tell us where they are from as they express their opinions!

As an American, I always find it disconcerting to hear about someone studying "maths" in school. We just study "math" over here.
In Australia, yep, we study maths, mate...though I didn't do much studying in that field, and usually just bludged my way through most classes, because I couldn't give two hoots about it.

I don't have battery's above 9 volt. I don't poke around in tv's, iniside electrical equipment, I don't use stun-guns for play or work, not liekly to get my finger in an outlet and baring an unfortunate vibrator accident not much chance of damage by what I do, do. Yes, I know, I typed do do.

Last edited:
"Mains" has been UK usage to me since I was a wee lad, denoting a 240VAC wall tap. Wall outlet power in the US? Nothing consistent comes to mind, although "110V plug-in" seems to bubble up in product instructions and similar.

What makes you think that '-our' is falling out of favour? 😆 I have frequent correspondence with Canadian friends and they always use '-our', even one guy born and raised in the US. I read BBC news every day, and the US coverage always has '-our' even when it's apparently a US-based reporter.
I’m going to start trying to popularize the term “wall tap” rather than “plug.”

Your body can't tell the difference between 50 and 60hz. You'll go into arrhythmia from either one.
Should I ever be unfortunate enough to get electrocuted, I'm sure I'll be like, "Is that AC or DC, feels like about 440 volts of AC to me."

The 60 cycles per minute is far more dangerous on the AC as it is about the same as your own electrical system—the one inside your body.
That's the point - I've seen the science on it somewhere, and there is a difference in the reflex. I've taken 240 volt 50Hz jolts many times, and it's always the jump away.

Same with DC hits, in my experience - even 45 volts was enough to throw a screwdriver into a wall twenty feet away. Guitar amps after notorious for holding a charge, even months after they were last used. Old Marshalls are literally shockers for doing that.

Guitar amps after notorious for holding a charge, even months after they were last used. Old Marshalls are literally shockers for doing that.

Yeah. I was working on a Heathkit stereo tube amp trying to get the hum out of one side, and in hooking up the clip leads from the oscilloscope sorta kinda neglected to turn the power off. 400VDC from the chassis ground to the plate, tho' definitely very low µA. Threw me across the kitchen.

Yeah. I was working on a Heathkit stereo tube amp trying to get the hum out of one side, and in hooking up the clip leads from the oscilloscope sorta kinda neglected to turn the power off. 400VDC from the chassis ground to the plate, tho' definitely very low µA. Threw me across the kitchen.
Yep, that'll do it. The craziest DC volts I've dealt with is 850 with 160mA on the B+ supply, for my version of an Ongaku, which I've got in test at the moment. My safety routines, suffice to say, are very rigorous. I've no intention of getting hit by that supply.

The plural makes it sound like there were more of them. One was more than enough for me. I majored in English for a reason.
Math wasn't my strongest subject, no matter how many of them there were. Maybe I just forgot to add one, and it was maths the whole time.:oops:
The full-length word ends in 's,' so I don't find 'maths' to be odd.

Tabling a bill in British Parliament is bringing it forward for consideration; tabling a bill in the American Congress is deadending it.
Huh. I like to think I have a reasonable working knowledge of US English but I'd missed that one until now.

US "entrée" = UK/Australian "main course"
UK/Australian "entrée" = US "appetizer".

IIRC, the US meaning started out the same, referring to one of the early courses in a five-course meal, but people eventually stopped serving the later courses so what had been an opener was now the main event.

It's 60 cycles per second, not per minute. Sorry, don't mean to be pedantic, but it makes a huge difference and I just couldn't let it go, geek that I am.

Huh. I like to think I have a reasonable working knowledge of US English but I'd missed that one until now.
I discovered that one when preparing for some major contract negotiations with Aussies and Yanks on the same side of the table. Just as well we gamed the negotiation beforehand, and figured out the puzzled looks. But then we were negotiating with the French, and I'm damned if I can remember their convention.

Same project - a very delightful, but very straight American girl used to open meetings by saying, "Okay, let's get this dog and pony show on the road."

The very dry senior engineer, from California, whispered, "If only she knew where that expression came from, and what it means." I had my own puzzled look. "Tijuana," he said, "certain, ahh, bars..."

The very dry senior engineer, from California, whispered, "If only she knew where that expression came from, and what it means." I had my own puzzled look. "Tijuana," he said, "certain, ahh, bars..."
The very same city where the Ceaser salad originated; in a restaurant called Ceaser's.

Nothing to do with British American English, but I'm tired of electricity.

The plural makes it sound like there were more of them. One was more than enough for me. I majored in English for a reason.
Math wasn't my strongest subject, no matter how many of them there were. Maybe I just forgot to add one, and it was maths the whole time.:oops:
'Maths' isn't a plural; like 'math' it's an abbreviation of mathematics. All three are uncountable nouns and are only used with a singular verb. Like many differences between American English and actual English, it always seemed to me morel like Americans were just being cantankerous in altering words and interpretations of them contrary to the English convention in Britain.

One that confuses and irks me consistently is the pronunciation of 'Aluminium' in the US. Aloominum... Really? It's still spelled aluminium and the pronunciation of other metal element names remain correct, (magnesium, titanium, sodium, calcium.... et al) so why does poor aluminium get so mistreated?

One that confuses and irks me consistently is the pronunciation of 'Aluminium' in the US. Aloominum... Really? It's still spelled aluminium and the pronunciation of other metal element names remain correct, (magnesium, titanium, sodium, calcium.... et al) so why does poor aluminium get so mistreated?

We spell it ALUMINUM, without that last "i." The distinction has been going on since the early 1800s, not long after it was discovered.

Back