Hammered – an Ode to Mickey Spillane” - the 2022 Story Event Official Support Thread

"Excessive violence" in the Literotica context generally relates to violence written in a manner designed to be sexually arousing. Straight out violence, as in war, fights or whatever, is pretty much free rein. I have written some stories with some rather explicit violence in them, including cut to pieces with a sword (the blood eagle....), and massacres and mass executions in a war-time context, as well as just generally killing people, and its all passed. My advice would be,go as violent as your story needs you to go, but stay away from snuff and from extreme violence written in a manner designed to be sexually arousing. Do that, and you should be good.

"Excessive violence" in the Literotica context generally relates to violence written in a manner designed to be sexually arousing. Straight out violence, as in war, fights or whatever, is pretty much free rein. I have written some stories with some rather explicit violence in them, including cut to pieces with a sword (the blood eagle....), and massacres and mass executions in a war-time context, as well as just generally killing people, and its all passed. My advice would be,go as violent as your story needs you to go, but stay away from snuff and from extreme violence written in a manner designed to be sexually arousing. Do that, and you should be good.
Copy this.

I have a story where a protagonist is eviscerated, harakiri style, but with no sexual connotations; the same story had someone shot in the back with an arrow, with a graphic description of blood on white snow, but again, no sexual connection.

My entry in last year's Mickey Spillane anthology had the bad guy die from a heroin overdose delivered by the leading protagonist - in other words, ugly and violent deaths but nowhere near the sex.

I don't understand why so many folk have a problem grasping some of these basic content policies - keep the death away from the sex, and you'll be fine.

OK, thanks for the answer, Chloe. I never design anything to be sexually arousing, though I can't help how readers might react.;) I can always put the story under NonErotic just to make my intentions clear, I suppose.

Now regarding my other questions:

1. Can one submit a story that has been published elsewhere or does it have to be written specifically for the Event?
2. What about running it in chapters?

OK, thanks for the answer, Chloe. I never design anything to be sexually arousing, though I can't help how readers might react.;) I can always put the story under NonErotic just to make my intentions clear, I suppose.

Now regarding my other questions:

1. Can one submit a story that has been published elsewhere or does it have to be written specifically for the Event?
2. What about running it in chapters?
Published elsewhere is fine, just needs to be the first time on Lit.

Chapters should be okay, if they are all submitted at the same time with a note, so that readers know the story is complete. How long is the story?

These anthologies collect a lot of long stories (30k plus words) as single submissions.

Agreed. It's an event, not a contest (where it should be original), so published elsewhere would be fine.

Chapters? I'd say if you have them all done, just do them as one long story. I've done one or two at 30 more Literotica pages (100k+ words) so that's not an issue at all. I'd rather not fill an event with multiple chapters, that takes away from the intent of the event. I'd rather stick to the guidance for contests there, which is that the submission should be a complete story, no restriction on length.

Agreed. It's an event, not a contest (where it should be original), so published elsewhere would be fine.

Chapters? I'd say if you have them all done, just do them as one long story. I've done one or two at 30 more Literotica pages (100k+ words) so that's not an issue at all. I'd rather not fill an event with multiple chapters, that takes away from the intent of the event. I'd rather stick to the guidance for contests there, which is that the submission should be a complete story, no restriction on length.
Ok, thanks. I'll think about it. July is a way off.

I started writing a story for this before I noticed the start date. I'll submit it once completed and write another for this contest.

I wrote an effort too late for the last one. It's published here in chapters or parts. I had a lot of fun with it, so I am really glad to have another chance to do hard-boiled detective plus sex. I just have to start early enough.

I started one for this, beginning with the finding of a body. But it wasn't really Spillane and I finished it too quickly so I have submitted it now.
I have an idea for this contest but July seems a long way off...

Looking forward to seeing my character 'Russ Ferrament' return for an encore appearance. See y'all in July.

The recent death of Richard Lipez, for anyone familiar with his work (alas, not me) could provide some inspiration for a gay detective protagonist for this challenge. Sounds like he created an unconventional PI, with some twists not always found in more traditional noir thrillers.

Does a piece have to be set in the post-war period to fit? I'm aiming for a hardboiled tone in one of my current pieces, but the setting is more cyberpunk-ish. Different time period: similar grit and atmosphere. Think "Blade Runner," only smuttier and with a dash of satire.

Does a piece have to be set in the post-war period to fit? I'm aiming for a hardboiled tone in one of my current pieces, but the setting is more cyberpunk-ish. Different time period: similar grit and atmosphere. Think "Blade Runner," only smuttier and with a dash of satire.

Nope, it's more the style of writing. Set it anywhen you like.

I have been thinking of taking one of my characters from a previous story and completely changing genres with a followup into a nourish story.
I like the sound of that idea! I have one story of mine, that fits your line of thought, in progress as well! So, I'm gonna throw my hat into the ring and dig out my Remington '88 and pull the trigger. Let's spew out some lead, and let the corpses drop. That big-titted maid of my character Nick Ramherhard can stop whimperin' and start moppin' up the red stuff; after the bodies get hauled out to the cotton fields. I'ma gonna tail your thoughts for my first contribution to an organized writing exercise. See you in July ... Lord willin' and the creek don't rise!

Whooooo, the first one! Great! And I have my Roanapur / Trexy Lee story from last year that I didn't get finished, but for sure it's making it for this one, so we have two already.
You've had me up all night for days! Just finished up my story for the event, first time entry! 29K words of death, grit and some smirks, lots of smirks actually. Now I have time to polish the dang thang. Would be nice if I had someone to take a look at it - editor kinda stuff - I had a wonderful assist by Kenjisato in a review of my usual pitfalls: grammar, homonyms etc. that side looks okay. Anyone like to take on a content review?

My Hammered story resurfaced recently, and I managed to write to the end of the synopsis. It's still very sketchy, so I don't know if I can make it work by the deadline, but I'm a big step closer.

Hold on now.

Was there an author on Literotica with the name Mickey Spillane, and this contest is in honor of him, OR, is this supposed to be about the Irish Gangster???

I ask because the Irish Gangster Mickey Spillane DIDN'T like to employ violence unless he had to.
His son Michael Spillane did a good interview talking about how his father didn't LIKE to do it, but, he wasn't opposed to it.

I'm curious.

Hold on now.

Was there an author on Literotica with the name Mickey Spillane, and this contest is in honor of him, OR, is this supposed to be about the Irish Gangster???

I ask because the Irish Gangster Mickey Spillane DIDN'T like to employ violence unless he had to.
His son Michael Spillane did a good interview talking about how his father didn't LIKE to do it, but, he wasn't opposed to it.

I'm curious.
Neither - this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Spillane

I have to admit I haven't read him but from threads he seems similar to Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hamnett, and all the authors who have adopted noir since. If anyone wants to copy Pratchett's pastiche of noir for a Lit story, I'd read it.

Neither - this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Spillane

I have to admit I haven't read him but from threads he seems similar to Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hamnett, and all the authors who have adopted noir since. If anyone wants to copy Pratchett's pastiche of noir for a Lit story, I'd read it.
Thank you.

I was curious.

They need to rename it "Hammered: An Ode to Frank Spillane" then.

I understand that.

It's still misleading information.

I KNOW it's not an intentional slight against the real Mickey Spillane though.
It's not misleading. People don't know him as Frank Spillane, they know him by the name he published under - what they see on the cover of his books.

Just as readers of spy novels will know of John le Carre, rather than David Cornwall, because of the name he used to market himself.

I understand that.

It's still misleading information.

I KNOW it's not an intentional slight against the real Mickey Spillane though.

LOL. Mickey Spillane the author is the one! All others are but chaff in the wind compared to his awe-inspiring noirness. Anyhow, it's the name everyone knows him as and it's on the covers of his books.....

Now, get writing!!!!

Back