Hammered – an Ode to Mickey Spillane” - the 2022 Story Event Official Support Thread

Oh, I thought this was last year's even. I can't finish my next one in time, how sad. I only started it Monday! The Case of Theodora Drummond, Murderer? How do you solve a mystery, when you might be the killer? I will have to wait and probably won't wait so long as to the next contest. How very sad that makes me.

Oh, I thought this was last year's even. I can't finish my next one in time, how sad. I only started it Monday! The Case of Theodora Drummond, Murderer? How do you solve a mystery, when you might be the killer? I will have to wait and probably won't wait so long as to the next contest. How very sad that makes me.

I managed to finish mine in time, but I didn't think I would. I figured if I did not, I'd just go ahead and submit it anyway.

I'm still refining the outline. It'll probably be the length (at close to) what The Rich Man's Wife was. Between 30 and 35 thousand words. I it will be a single post, as novels don't post well, one chapter at a time here. They aren't connected so easily at this site.

It’s funny how your story can suddenly stop sucking and start getting a good score….

Kind of makes you fell that some of those one votes might not have been entirely sincere…
No one would ever give a bad vote on a good story. No other writer would vote you down to improve their standing in a contest. No one would one bomb a writer because they don't like a particular type of story. Oh, gosh, is my sarcasm showing?
Since this is a challenge, not a contest, it would not make sense to 1-bomb a story just to help someone else win.

Also, y'all's comments caused me to remember something from the past: some time ago, someone or several someones went through all my stories and 1-bombed them. Some of them lost as much as half a point. My regular followers commented on it. My stories do have politics in them that half the population would become angry at, so I figured that was why I was being targeted for 1-bombing.

But here's the fun part: a few days later, the numbers were back up to where they'd been. I don't know for sure, but I wondered if Literotica went back and reloaded a backup to eliminate the 1-bombing. I've also heard but don't know for sure that 1-bombs by Anonymous persons aren't permanent, and get dropped after a period of time. That MAY be why the scores are going down and back up. Maybe someone can add to this and verify or debunk it...

But here's the fun part: a few days later, the numbers were back up to where they'd been. I don't know for sure, but I wondered if Literotica went back and reloaded a backup to eliminate the 1-bombing. I've also heard but don't know for sure that 1-bombs by Anonymous persons aren't permanent, and get dropped after a period of time. That MAY be why the scores are going down and back up. Maybe someone can add to this and verify or debunk it...
The site "sweeps" the votes on a regular basis, and more frequently during Contests, to remove non-genuine votes.

Don't openly speculate or ask how it works, because that defeats its purpose. Suffice to say, it can be figured out with a bit of thought, and it does work. You''ll see vote numbers drop, accompanied usually (but not always) by a fairly significant jump in the score. It's part of the Lit furniture.

I'm still refining the outline. It'll probably be the length (at close to) what The Rich Man's Wife was. Between 30 and 35 thousand words. I it will be a single post, as novels don't post well, one chapter at a time here. They aren't connected so easily at this site.
What do you mean, "not connected so easily at this site"? Story chaptering is joined together automatically at Lit, and is the simplest thing to do. There are dozens of threads on this subject - there's one running right now, in fact.

Since this is a challenge, not a contest, it would not make sense to 1-bomb a story just to help someone else win.

Also, y'all's comments caused me to remember something from the past: some time ago, someone or several someones went through all my stories and 1-bombed them. Some of them lost as much as half a point. My regular followers commented on it. My stories do have politics in them that half the population would become angry at, so I figured that was why I was being targeted for 1-bombing.

There are people who one bomb just for the hell of it. The story I posted a couple of weeks ago is 70,000 words lone. Someone gave it a one less than an hour after it went up. I don't consider that legitimate vote.

I watched the voting on this submission all day. The number of votes never declined, so there was no sweep. And I don't think I have ever seen multiple sweeps on a story on the same day.

I was thinking of the Halloween contest, not this event. I misspoke, so I'll go to bed with our supper as punishment. :)

What do you mean, "not connected so easily at this site"? Story chaptering is joined together automatically at Lit, and is the simplest thing to do. There are dozens of threads on this subject - there's one running right now, in fact.
I don't know when that happened. I have been doing my chapter stories all in one post since I returned last year. Several years ago, it didn't work that way. You put part or chapter one after the title, but there weren't links at the end a part or link to put them to the first entry in the series, book or whatever.

"Investigating My Dad For My Aunt" has been submitted! I wish I had more time to edit it. I was making lots of changes on the last editing pass. But I'm out of time.

I don't know when that happened. I have been doing my chapter stories all in one post since I returned last year. Several years ago, it didn't work that way. You put part or chapter one after the title, but there weren't links at the end a part or link to put them to the first entry in the series, book or whatever.
When I joined Lit in 2014, chaptered stories were automatically joined up, as soon as you submitted the second chapter. And you didn't need a Ch.01 - as soon as you submitted Ch.02, the automatic joining up took place.

So it's worked that way for at least eight years, and I would guess, much longer than that. You don't set up the links, the site does it automatically.

When I joined Lit in 2014, chaptered stories were automatically joined up, as soon as you submitted the second chapter. And you didn't need a Ch.01 - as soon as you submitted Ch.02, the automatic joining up took place.

So it's worked that way for at least eight years, and I would guess, much longer than that. You don't set up the links, the site does it automatically.
I was misinformed, never even tried to do that.

I just heard from Laurel.

All of the event stories are being published as they are submitted. On Monday the 18th we will publish an anthology listing of all stories in the event. We do this whenever possible to alleviate concerns of event entries "crowding out" other stories. The On The Job event was handled this way, as was the 750 Word Challenge.

That makes sense. I'm easily confused, I guess.

Last edited:
The site "sweeps" the votes on a regular basis, and more frequently during Contests, to remove non-genuine votes.

Don't openly speculate or ask how it works, because that defeats its purpose. Suffice to say, it can be figured out with a bit of thought, and it does work. You''ll see vote numbers drop, accompanied usually (but not always) by a fairly significant jump in the score. It's part of the Lit furniture.
Thank you for responding, and for the information.

I just wanted to thank Chloe for setting this up. I had a blast in wrting my little Noir parody. I just don't know what to do for next year...

Wait, hasn't the event ended, or is it an ongoing category?
The last day of submission was July 17. The Lit official list was posted on the 18th. This is to close the open question since this is now the 27th, and I haven't seen anyone reply to your inquiry.

There are only eleven submissions by ten authors. A light turnout for writers, it seems.

Scores did seem brutal at first. Mine scored early in the 3.0s and has done a good climb uphill over 4.5. I published a previous noir story last year, and it was clubbed pretty heavily then and still is not where I thought it should be. I believe it was more than my usual theme approach for incest/taboo. I killed many characters in this one, including the mother and father, who left an orphan in the mayhem. Raters didn't like that one bit.

Last edited:
The last day of submission was July 17. The Lit official list was posted on the 18th. This is to close the open question since this is now the 27th, and I haven't seen anyone reply to your inquiry.

There are only eleven submissions by ten authors. A light turnout for writers, it seems.

Scores did seem brutal at first. Mine scored early in the 3.0s and has done a good climb uphill over 4.5. I published a previous noir story last year, and it was clubbed pretty heavily then and still is not where I thought it should be. I believe it was more than my usual theme approach for incest/taboo. I killed many characters in this one, including the mother and father, who left an orphan in the mayhem. Raters didn't like that one bit.
Thanks, I did figure out this was a new challenge, not the one I participated in last time.

Back