Okay, guys, here's a thread to air your views on voting

So what do you think it deserves, and why was the question?
Obviously someone thought it was worth a one.
And who is the commenter who I never seen before?

I think it deserves a five, but I'm biased. You'll have to ask Angeline why she asked if it was a koan.

You don't know the reason it was given a one. I do.

I have no idea what that last question means.

I like the idea of a 1 to 10 scale, but do you remember the five categories?

If I can recall, the five were emotion, word choice, structure, imagery, and originality.

Of course, everyone had their own criteria for each category. I never found it to be much help.

I think it deserves a five, but I'm biased. You'll have to ask Angeline why she asked if it was a koan.

You don't know the reason it was given a one. I do.

I have no idea what that last question means.

Let's get to down deep and out. Do you think your two poems are either the equal or better than half of the things submitted in the past month, if so why, what are you showing me, that I may have missed?

If I can recall, the five were emotion, word choice, structure, imagery, and originality.

Of course, everyone had their own criteria for each category. I never found it to be much help.
Hijacking:
emotion
word choice
structure
imagery
originality
Self rank 1-10, Your two poems.

Well, it's an interesting way of rating a poem, at least. I think I'll just refrain from all voting on poetry until I've given more thought as to how it should be handled, the present system being what it is.

Let's get to down deep and out. Do you think your two poems are either the equal or better than half of the things submitted in the past month, if so why, what are you showing me, that I may have missed?

My opinion on that is irrelevant, as far as you are concerned, so there's no point in answering.

It's up to you to figure out what you may have missed.

i think we all have to learn to accept that there are some people we are likely to bump up against; people who behave in ways we don't like and in a manner we wouldn't consider copying; that in any society this is a fact and it's how we respond that matters in the long run.

now, okay, people... while we're about it - i often reply to comments on my stuff by leaving another comment. is this considered bad form at all, since that shows as another public comment? sometimes i reply there and think 'whoops, i should have posted that in the KtRTC thread'. not that i'm likely to change, since replying there feels more a direct response to a question asked ...

Responding in a thread, rather than directly on the poem is a bit indirect. And now that voting is clearly detached from comments, I see nothing improper about commenting directly.
On the other hand, especially given the number of poems coming out, the original commentator likely won't see the new comment. New readers of the poem will see the comment. A lot depends upon the purpose of your comment.
Perhaps comment directly and also make reference from the thread to make yours most visible.

My opinion on that is irrelevant, as far as you are concerned, so there's no point in answering.

It's up to you to figure out what you may have missed.
I am concerned.
Ordinarily I hand out 5's and even then I catch shit for it.
Here is your chance to either sell me one what you wrote,
or to reevaluate that inane position that I have.
How long did it take you to write those 6 lines that PepperPace thinks are so wonderful?
Don't you think others might think it is a little unfair, when the have written better and taken longer, and no H?

I am concerned.
Ordinarily I hand out 5's and even then I catch shit for it.
Here is your chance to either sell me one what you wrote,
or to reevaluate that inane position that I have.
How long did it take you to write those 6 lines that PepperPace thinks are so wonderful?
Don't you think others might think it is a little unfair, when the have written better and taken longer, and no H?

You seem to think there is some relationship between the time it takes to do something and its value. That's not a very intelligent way of looking at things.

sorry that was for
theognis

No problem, but the answer still stands.

I am doing my best, but it is beyond me to take poetry rating systems seriously.

We are trying to take the most regimented concept known to the human brain (mathematics) and apply it to the least regimented part of the human brain.

Everybody has a different tape measure. Some don't even have lines or numbers. Others have gaps and still more stretch or shrink from day to day.

I am willing to bet if we made a die with five dots on five sides and a one on the sixth side, we could roll the dice for each vote and be within 10% of the actual score.

You did not. What does either poem have that in comparison to what has been offered in the past month.
I saw a sticky image, that if it would have been honey would have been a cliche.
I saw something that looked like a Donovan lift off, that was pretending to be a koan. Closer to a platitude. Everything is equal. If Everything is equal where are the H's for everyone?

You did not. What does either poem have that in comparison to what has been offered in the past month.
I saw a sticky image, that if it would have been honey would have been a cliche.
I saw something that looked like a Donovan lift off, that was pretending to be a koan. Closer to a platitude. Everything is equal. If Everything is equal where are the H's for everyone?

Nothing in the past month is remotely like either of the two poems you've brought up.

There is a reason it was molasses and not honey, but I have no need to explain why.

I didn't say it was a koan. I was asked, and I said it was an attempt at one.

You misunderstood the 'koan' completely, it appears.

i think we all have to learn to accept that there are some people we are likely to bump up against; people who behave in ways we don't like and in a manner we wouldn't consider copying; that in any society this is a fact and it's how we respond that matters in the long run.

now, okay, people... while we're about it - i often reply to comments on my stuff by leaving another comment. is this considered bad form at all, since that shows as another public comment? sometimes i reply there and think 'whoops, i should have posted that in the KtRTC thread'. not that i'm likely to change, since replying there feels more a direct response to a question asked ...

The trouble with answering on the actual submission is it's more likely to get missed than if it's put on the board

Nothing in the past month is remotely like either of the two poems you've brought up.

There is a reason it was molasses and not honey, but I have no need to explain why.

I didn't say it was a koan. I was asked, and I said it was an attempt at one.

You misunderstood the 'koan' completely, it appears.
Theo, you are being evasive.
At least half of the things I saw last month, showed more effort, more technique, in other words more thought behind it.
Thus more effectiveness.
What I don't like is seeing an effusive fan, all of a sudden showing up for you only.
I am going to wander over and reevaluate. But it does look like I regret my position of handing out 5's so generously. It does begin to seem to be so grossly unfair, to those that have worked harder and shown more poetry, than I've seen in these two.

Theo, you are being evasive.
At least half of the things I saw last month, showed more effort, more technique, in other words more thought behind it.
Thus more effectiveness.
What I don't like is seeing an effusive fan, all of a sudden showing up for you only.
I am going to wander over and reevaluate. But it does look like I regret my position of handing out 5's so generously. It does begin to seem to be so grossly unfair, to those that have worked harder and shown more poetry, than I've seen in these two.

Again, the amount of effort and time spent is irrelevant in any kind of artistic endeavor. I learned that long ago. Many times an artist's best creation is done in no time at all, whether it be a drawing, a painting, a song, or a poem.

You and Fridayam seem to be reading off the same script. The 'H' bugged the hell out of him. I don't know why anybody cares but the person receiving the 'H.' I couldn't care less if you have one.

This is a five.
Ain't it cool?
It's pretty, it knows
style, how to dance
draw you reconciled
to its whim.
It might glance

at four which tried too
hard but didn't score
or seedy three that barely
gets a peek, it's wee and rarely
has a chance but knows