The Annual Halloween Contest Is Coming!

Colleen Thomas said:
Since this thread kinda wanders all over theplace, can anyone tell me how I can put my page with my stories in my posts?

I tried cut and pasteing the link but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Colly

Hi Colly,

Just recycling this:

A quick how to on including links in your post.
1. Open the page you want to link to the post in another window, click in the address window, right click and copy.

2. Now back in the box where you're writing your post - there's a button on top of the box which says http://. Click on that and it opens another small window.

3. First write what you want to there (example: Link to my homepage or My story) and then click ok.

4. In the next window paste the address you had copied from the page you wanted to link and click ok.

That's done. You have a nice clean link as I've done with your memberpage below.

Colleen's memberpage

:)

ps. the copy n paste thing should work (but not as neatly ;) ). Check if you have the box next to "Automatically parse URLs" checked. You can find this below the box where you write your posts. It should be checked.
pps. (a la MG style :D ) Now don't tell me you wanted to put the link in your sig. line and not in the actual post itself. :(

The best thing about the contest is that reading all your stories inspired me to write one of my own. :)

I'd love some extra cash (I have an 11-year-old who is making noise about Christmas and her birthday already), but writing is always its own reward.

Angelita, I read your utterly delightful story and gave you a 5. Superb H'ween tale, it flowed like honey, or a very sweet witch's brew. Congrats!

Perdita :rose:

Angelita, I read your utterly delightful story and gave you a 5. Superb H'ween tale, it flowed like honey, or a very sweet witch's brew. Congrats!

Perdita

Generous Sweet 'Dita,

I haven't written prose for a while, and I was nervous to post it because so many of you here are so very good (and I see myself primarily as a poet).

Needless to say, your comment makes me smile a lot.

:rose: :heart: :rose:

A.

Angeline said:
... I was nervous to post it because so many of you here are so very good (and I see myself primarily as a poet).
Ah (that's how I pronounce A.),

It is obvioius reading your prose that you are a poet. I don't want to keep any poetry from the world but I would encourage you to write more prose.

'dita :rose:

amazing...

For one thing, my entry has only been on-line for a day, and already it's got 11 votes. that's more than half what Rhiana has got since March. I'm going to write more short stories!

And another, it made it into the contest. I don't quite know how, since it was accepted sometime early yesterday morning UK time, so it must have scraped thru the closing date by the skin of its proverbial teeth...

Anyway off to work now :-( will be checking out more entries this weekend!

ax

Entering competitions works

My three entries have obtained more votes and more feedback than my other recent stories.

Some of the old ones have had feedback, some even got votes.

Win, lose or disqualified I think I have gained from entering.

Even "Halloween Viking", my entry aimed at the basement and last place, has just reached 25 votes and is at 4.16.

"Hannah and Kay" hasn't reached the necessary 25 but is on 4.52.

"Maids-in-Waiting" has 30 votes at 4.53.

By the overall ratings for my stories these scores are high.

When is the next competition? Apart from NaNoWriMo?

Do others feel that their effort has been worthwhile in increased readers and feedback?

Og

Angeline said:
I haven't written prose for a while, and I was nervous to post it because so many of you here are so very good (and I see myself primarily as a poet).
Well, after that, it's evident that you should write a bloody lot more!

Beautiful.

Alex

PierceStreet said:
We are really good at this stream of conciousness thing.

Sometimes I think this is an episode of Designing Women.

thats fine as long as I get to hook up with Annie Potts

Re: Entering competitions works

oggbashan said:
Do others feel that their effort has been worthwhile in increased readers and feedback?

Og
Not for me. Equal third-lowest score for me. My least-said-the-better poem languishes on 4.00, my original-version brother/sister incest on 4.17 (the rewrite, where they get-it-on is on 4.52 - now there's a surprise!) and my Hallowe'en tale shares 4.28 (from 32 votes) with my Geordie dialect piece (which has 40 votes). Can't say that I've noticed on my other stories whether there has been increased activity. I don't take that much notice now.

Feedback has been non-existent except for Hangout regulars, from whom I have had some nice words.

Alex

Hey DP :)

I meant in the sig line, one of the problems I have with computers is I am so illiterate I don't even know how to ask what I am trying to find out. Between you and Perdita I finally got it to work.

Thanks to you both! :)

-Colly

Last edited:
Ya know, i been thinking. I wish that the stories on the contest webpage told what catagory that they were in, at least. Its kinda like hit or miss on the type of stories you like to read. For me, I like reading nonhuman (not so much erotic horror, I like nice vampires, not scary mean ones.) and Gay male, mostly. So, maybe i should write Laurel and mention that to her. So at least we can browse better.

Anyone else feel like this? Curious if i am the only one. :)

Nikki

sachiaiko said:
Ya know, i been thinking. I wish that the stories on the contest webpage told what catagory that they were in, at least. Its kinda like hit or miss on the type of stories you like to read. For me, I like reading nonhuman (not so much erotic horror, I like nice vampires, not scary mean ones.) and Gay male, mostly. So, maybe i should write Laurel and mention that to her. So at least we can browse better.

Nikki

I think it's probably better as it stands, otherwise, according to an other thread the incest stories would win every contest with the rest getting fewer views and votes altogether.

Gauche

Hi Sachiaiko. I agree with Gauche (though it has nothing to do with that other thing). The focus of this contest is Halloween and erotica. It also benefits the entries if there is no further division re. the focus. Thanks for asking though.

Perdita

sachiaiko said:

Nikki

I don't think the category should be added, simply because a lot of stories wouldn't geven get looks then. Of course if you write something that has a limited audience you run the risk of getting bad votes simply because of subject matter. Perhaps the best thing would be an authors note for those of us who write stories that appeal to a more limited audience?

-Colly

Thanks to Laurel

gauchecritic said:
I'm beginning to get worried now. I entered my second story for the contest and it hasn't been posted yet. 5.00pm Britland time.
I realise it's v.late for the contest and I'm not particularly concerned about that.

Gauche

Whoo hoo. My second story for Hallowe'en: Tricks and Treats, has been posted and is in the contest. Grateful thanks to Laurel.

Now standing at 3.67 with 6 votes already. Just need to garner another 19 votes in 7 days, in order to retain my title. I'm looking forward to hatemail and low scoring due to the twist-in-the-tail.

Yes, I know I ought to know better but I'm going to ask anyway. If anyone reads the story (don't have to vote either way), will you please mail me with your thoughts on the 'twist'. The actual ending is quite weak but I was under time constraints (Like I can write any better anyway.)

With un-earned but forecast thanks.

Gauche

Re: Thanks to Laurel

gauchecritic said:
Whoo hoo. My second story for Hallowe'en: Tricks and Treats, has been posted and is in the contest. Grateful thanks to Laurel.

Now standing at 3.67 with 6 votes already. Just need to garner another 19 votes in 7 days, in order to retain my title. I'm looking forward to hatemail and low scoring due to the twist-in-the-tail.

Yes, I know I ought to know better but I'm going to ask anyway. If anyone reads the story (don't have to vote either way), will you please mail me with your thoughts on the 'twist'. The actual ending is quite weak but I was under time constraints (Like I can write any better anyway.)

With un-earned but forecast thanks.

Gauche

sorry, gauche, I liked it very much.

My story

is doing really well (and had over 30 votes last time I checked), so thank you to everyone who is reading and voting. All constructive feedback--positive or negative--is very much appreciated.

I'm reading 3-5 contest entries a day, voting and doing the feedback thing for each of them.

Oh well thankyouverymuch Hugs and cookie.

Fortunately I pissed somebody off with the twist, because I wasn't anywhere near threatening the top of the list with 4.2 and now I've been bombed to under 4.

Looking good for the title.

Gauche

gauchecritic said:
Fortunately I pissed somebody off with the twist, because I wasn't anywhere near threatening the top of the list with 4.2 and now I've been bombed to under 4.

Looking good for the title.

Gauche
Oh, no! Not again! Could Gauchecritic be about to commence another fast slide into back-to-back titles?

Makes you wonder if it's envy of Gauche's writing skill, jealousy of his biting wit, unique sense of humor, maybe it's just a mean-spirited reaction to that attention grabbing AV, or could it be a combination of ingredients product?

Rumple Foreskin

Hey Rumps, re. Gauche-envy, I think it's just his Northern charm, and maybe literary penis-envy. Making women laugh is a gift and in the social arena (even online) it will get most guys ornery faster than hearing blatent come-ons to their gals. Yep, Gauche's wit and humour is dangerous, i.e., exciting. Plus it strokes good. (And I'll bet big bucks his 1's come from penis owners.)

Now you know what turns me on. :eek:

Perdita

Last edited by a moderator:
Back