The Travel Thread

Booked trips so far:

Speicherstadt Hamburg - end of May

Sylt - end of July

Tropical Islands Resort - start of October

I’ve never made it out on the islands, even if we have spent some time in the area, visiting Husum, Rendsburg, Friedrichstadt for example and Ribe on tge Danish side.
I pestered my parents about wanting to go there when I was a kid, because sylt means jam in Swedish and that just had to be a good omen. I had a book about a girl who vacationed in the area too and I wanted to see the Wattmeer.

Lovely. Sylt is beautiful. I am just back from Rügen 😍

Rügen is beautiful!
For me it was one of those places we drove through, often late at night and in a hurry. Back when it was DDR, we weren’t allowed to leave the transit roads.
I’ve seen more of it in later years but we still haven’t gotten around to making it the actual destination, even if we’ve talked about it.

I finally managed to leave the country a few weekends ago. Denmark provided some nice views. 7B9EB35D-3514-43F7-B14E-22792C903534.jpegA287CCBC-4C25-477B-9AE6-81C05C8CE816.jpeg

Booked trips so far:

Speicherstadt Hamburg - end of May

Sylt - end of July

Tropical Islands Resort - start of October
Sylt would be such a cool place to visit!

I miss Germany and German in general and have had plans to visit Germany for Christmas market doe many years now. Maybe this year, fingers crossed!

I’m going to Ireland in July for 10 days and I hope I can squeeze in a shorter trip somewhere before that A weekend or a long weekend, either domestic or international. ☺️

I love traveling and looking forward to traveling more in the future. I haven't done as much traveling as I'd like for sure.

This year I'm keeping things low key as I have a lot of othrr things going on but as soon as I'm able to I'll get out of here.

I do have plans to go to the east coast later this year to visit dear friends I haven't seen in a long time.

Hubby and I are heading to Florida this weekend to see some old friends and playmates. After a few days there, a group of us are taking a short cruise too.

Very much looking forward to this next week as it will be our first big trip with others in a few years

One of the reasons I'm going - with Juist last year and Sylt this year I have covered the important ones in the North Sea ;-)

Yay, some trivia knowledge I can boast about.

I’m guessing they get even more Moin Moin out on the islands?

Ah, this reminded me of the first time I heard moin. It was in 2008-ish on the Christmas Market in Hamburg. Some guy selling Glühwein said it to me when I walked by the stall and I was like “yeah, I guess I really must look super Finnish”.

We use moi* in Finnish. 😂

*)etymology is unclear, but a loan from moin is one possibility

No, not really; likely even less, as most are seasonal workers from all over Germany and Europe. I'm acquainted with a self-employed hair stylist, who closes her location down for 4 weeks to work as seasonal worker on Juist because the money to be made there in a short amount of time is just soo good; but very stressful.

One of the reasons I'm going - with Juist last year and Sylt this year I have covered the important ones in the North Sea ;-)

Yay, some trivia knowledge I can boast about.
I was on Juist in 2016, close to burnout and prescribed 3 weeks in a clinic, and I loved it there. The beaches were outstanding!

here are some pictures from Rügen.

Attachments

• 03609221-FAD9-4F15-9596-C5C86F162B6A.jpeg
    03609221-FAD9-4F15-9596-C5C86F162B6A.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 7
  • C0D8C64A-3294-4900-877A-3387E066113E.jpeg
    C0D8C64A-3294-4900-877A-3387E066113E.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 42623DAD-9AA5-408F-8D50-71EB9A3E7B99.jpeg
    42623DAD-9AA5-408F-8D50-71EB9A3E7B99.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 7
No, not really; likely even less, as most are seasonal workers from all over Germany and Europe. I'm acquainted with a self-employed hair stylist, who closes her location down for 4 weeks to work as seasonal worker on Juist because the money to be made there in a short amount of time is just soo good; but very stressful.
Ah, didn’t think of that. I spent many summers in a little tourist place and the seasonal workforce was from all over the mediterranean.

I was on Juist in 2016, close to burnout and prescribed 3 weeks in a clinic, and I loved it there. The beaches were outstanding!

here are some pictures from Rügen.
Beautiful!

Question for the Germans and people traveling there.
We are planning on traveling to visit family and friends further south but will travel through Germany. One idea is to stay overnight somewhere near Beelitz-Heilstätten and take some time to look closer at the old hospital than I’ve had time for before.
Looking at Google Maps, you can sometimes see that there are more visitors/people in a location. Here, that can be a bit hit and miss in my experience.
How much faith would you put in it in Germany?

Looking at Google Maps, you can sometimes see that there are more visitors/people in a location. Here, that can be a bit hit and miss in my experience.
How much faith would you put in it in Germany?

Uhm... I don't think you can use it to compare locations. It's really just to figure out if the place is going to be packed or not at a particular day and time. I would put more faith into booking.com and similar sites rating.

Uhm... I don't think you can use it to compare locations. It's really just to figure out if the place is going to be packed or not at a particular day and time. I would put more faith into booking.com and similar sites rating.
Yes, it’s the ”is it going to be packed” I’m after. It’s just that if you use it around here their definition of packed seems to vary.

Checking how booked the hotels around there are, is a good idea, thank you!

Ah, this reminded me of the first time I heard moin. It was in 2008-ish on the Christmas Market in Hamburg. Some guy selling Glühwein said it to me when I walked by the stall and I was like “yeah, I guess I really must look super Finnish”.

We use moi* in Finnish. 😂

*)etymology is unclear, but a loan from moin is one possibility

And I thought it was a variation of ”Morgen” or ”Morrn” as we say in Sweden, meaning ”Morning” and couldn’t for the life of me understand why they insisted on using it all day long.

And I thought it was a variation of ”Morgen” or ”Morrn” as we say in Sweden, meaning ”Morning” and couldn’t for the life of me understand why they insisted on using it all day long.

Well, it confuses Germans, too. But it's actually "Ick wünsch Di en moijen (nice/good) Dag." -> "Moijen Dag" -> "Moijen" -> "Moin".

That’s another possible etymology for the Finnish moi, so at least your instinct would have been good here even if not in Germany. 😊

Well, it confuses Germans, too. But it's actually "Ick wünsch Di en moijen (nice/good) Dag." -> "Moijen Dag" -> "Moijen" -> "Moin".
So some parts got the ”Good” part of ”Good day”, leaving others with ”Tach” or ”Dagg”? 😁

I’ve spent more time in ”Grüß Gott” and
”Servus” territory with a side of ”Pfüat di”.
Where on the other hand you have to learn that ”Na Servus” and ”Also Ciao” are neither greetings nor really polite.

That’s another possible etymology for the Finnish moi, so at least your instinct would have been good here even if not in Germany. 😊

I’m guessing the MoinMoin theory has to do with German workers and or Hansa?

My uncle and I used to joke that we should write a traveler’s guide to toilets around the world.
Now I think there should be another about greetings around the world.

FWIW, it's fairly reliable for my gym.

Seems to be fairly reliable for that kind of place here too. With places of historic or natural interest, I’ve had some ”fun” experiences during the last years where I’ve thought ”it’s a mountain, how packed can it be?” and it turned out that it can be pretty packed.

I’m really just kicking myself for not taking more time when I’ve visited Beelitz before, when it was mostly just strange people like me going there. It seems way more touristy now.

What would be good for thoughtful unique souvenirs from Madrid and Barcelona?

I have a friend who visits Madrid quite often. She sometimes brings home food stuff and wine and invites people over. For kids she has brought Real Madrid merch, hand painted fans, espadrilles…
I know she brought one of those beautiful embroidered shawls that go with traditional Spanish dresses for her mother but I’m not shure if it was from Madrid, Barcelona or somewhere else in Spain.

I have a friend who visits Madrid quite often. She sometimes brings home food stuff and wine and invites people over. For kids she has brought Real Madrid merch, hand painted fans, espadrilles…
I know she brought one of those beautiful embroidered shawls that go with traditional Spanish dresses for her mother but I’m not shure if it was from Madrid, Barcelona or somewhere else in Spain.
Those are fantastic ideas. I’ve been trying to plan for some of the gifts I want to bring back for a few people and I saw those things pop up more than once as suggestions on lists I’ve found online. It’s crazy how many things can simply be bought online now without ever leaving your house though.

Back