The Travel Thread

How are your travel plans coming along? I’m just back from a family visit to Ireland and thought of you 😘
Thanks for asking! It’s not really coming along, it’s been so busy at work that I haven’t had time to plan much.

The only concrete plan so far is that we’re going to Galway, there’s a big art festival then. :)

Hope you had a great time in Ireland!

Oh travelling... I have a plan. Some day - maybe next year - I will take the train through Sweden, Denmark, Germany and France, and visit my friend in Monaco. It's not a journey made in a day, I will have lunch, supper and overnight stays in various cities. And then back maybe after a week there. That trip I can very well do on my own, without company.

I also have a dream. Seeing "all Europe", maybe with a camper. It cannot be done in one trip, it would take weeks and weeks. But for that I would need company, so it will have to wait.

Traveling through the Czech Republic and having lunch in Terezin so we could show the kids a bit of the old castle and Teresienstadt camp.
Google found me a highly rated restaurant that seemed to serve traditional food.
When we got there it said Diakonia on the building, but that seemed to be on the right side of the buiding and the restaurant was on the right. We asked to be sure that it was open to the public and it was and the people already eating there seemed to be people working in the area.
It did however turn out to be the restaurant of the Diakonia and we had great and filling food for four people, 2 large beers and 2 Pepsi and paid 20€.

Traveling through the Czech Republic and having lunch in Terezin so we could show the kids a bit of the old castle and Teresienstadt camp.
Google found me a highly rated restaurant that seemed to serve traditional food.
When we got there it said Diakonia on the building, but that seemed to be on the right side of the buiding and the restaurant was on the right. We asked to be sure that it was open to the public and it was and the people already eating there seemed to be people working in the area.
It did however turn out to be the restaurant of the Diakonia and we had great and filling food for four people, 2 large beers and 2 Pepsi and paid 20€.
I love ending up in places like that. :)

It’s not really traveling, but I’m heading to the islands outside the city today. Should be nice. :)

I have plans to go to Scotland later this year. Anyone have any particularly good recommendations to do or avoid?
TIA
Glen Coe, Fort William, Ben Nevis and the castle whose name I can’t remember that is on the road to Skye that was featured in the film Highlander.

Don’t forget the insect repellent, the midges are proper little buggers☹️

Thanks for asking! It’s not really coming along, it’s been so busy at work that I haven’t had time to plan much.

The only concrete plan so far is that we’re going to Galway, there’s a big art festival then. :)

Hope you had a great time in Ireland!
Oh dear. You will love Galway!

Westport in County Mayo Is a beautiful wee town too and not far from Galway. You can hire bicycles and ride the greenway between Westport and Newport and even the Achill islands. More info here:

https://www.greenway.ie/

My visit was lovely, a family one to surprise my lovely Mum on her 80th birthday ❤️

Oh dear. You will love Galway!

Westport in County Mayo Is a beautiful wee town too and not far from Galway. You can hire bicycles and ride the greenway between Westport and Newport and even the Achill islands. More info here:

https://www.greenway.ie/

My visit was lovely, a family one to surprise my lovely Mum on her 80th birthday ❤️
Thanks for the idea! Let’s see what we end up doing there. ☺️

Check out Kylemore Abbey, a Benedictine monastery in Connemara, Co. Galway, if that is your sort of thing, I spent a lot of time in Connemara as a young girl, learning our native language Gaeilge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylemore_Abbey
I’ve thought about picking up Irish in Duolingo in preparation for the trip. Not that I’m going to need it absolutely, but it would be fun to be able to decipher at least some of the texts I’m bound to see there.

When I was I Scotland I wish I had done that with Scottish, so maybe I’ll do it now with Irish so that I won’t have new linguistic regrets. :)

One day I’m going to have to go to Wales, because I’ve been learning Welsh on Duo for some time now and it’d be so cool to encounter the language in the wild.

First pic is the view from our hotel room balcony, and the second one is one I took while sitting beachside this evening. More to come later (I hope; I'm not much of a photographer).

Attachments

• 20220627_165812.jpg
    20220627_165812.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220627_192745.jpg
    20220627_192745.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 23
First pic is the view from our hotel room balcony, and the second one is one I took while sitting beachside this evening. More to come later (I hope; I'm not much of a photographer).
I love seeing pics from faraway places. 😍

I know most beaches look the same, so I apologize for more pics of the water, but I'm a bad photographer. :ROFLMAO:

First one is the view from the beach itself; second one is the view from the beginning part of the pier. (The full length of the pier is closed for construction work at the moment.)

I have to say, Destin still has my heart, but I love Daytona so much! :heart:

Attachments

• 20220628_104828.jpg
    20220628_104828.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220628_132759.jpg
    20220628_132759.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 12
I didn't renew my pasport thinking I won't be able to travel out of USA for a long time. What a poor decision. I just had to turn down a driving trip to Alaska. Yes, It is still part of the nation, but one must drive through Canada on the way. It doesn't seem a problem to enter Canada if you have your Covid shots and booster, it is getting back into the USA. Stange world we live in these days.
I'd love to visit Brasil again and travel the length of the Amazon river. Argentina was beautiful also.
I always felt I would rather visit all the nations of the Amercas, North, Central and South before other countries until I bought my dream motorcycle. Now Italy is much higher on my list. Something about that RED Ducati out in my garage has its pull towards its birthplace.

Two more sleeps until I head to Dublin. Can’t wait!

Still no real plans except a ticket to an event at Galway International Art Festival, but somehow I don’t think it’s going to be a big problem to come up with things to do. Fingers crossed the weather forecast for Belfast is wrong and it won’t rain the entire time I’m there…

My wife and fly out of JFK, and we have tickets and reservations for early august for 5 days Morocco, then 12 days Berlin Germany, which I wont make due to my age and health.
My Granddaughter is in Morocco with her school, and wife will visit with her for a few days, unsure if she will opt out of Berlin,

What? Are you ok?

fecking scumbags, I am sorry Seela 😡😘
Everything OK?
Yeah I’m okay. I was coming down from the upper deck of the bus and there were a few wee bit tipsy younger men who came down a little after me. Somehow one of them kicked me in the head. Not super hard, but enough that I lost my step a little and stumbled down the rest of the steps. Luckily J was in front of me and caught me…

The guys didn’t apologize and I kind of froze, but an older lady who had seen what had happened and got off on the same stop apologized profoundly. J didn’t know what had happened, he just thought I had tripped on the stairs and was puzzled as to why a random lady would apologize to me.

Wasn’t the best start, to my trip. On the positive side, I just found out that gelato places operate in the evenings as well.

Yeah I’m okay. I was coming down from the upper deck of the bus and there were a few wee bit tipsy younger men who came down a little after me. Somehow one of them kicked me in the head. Not super hard, but enough that I lost my step a little and stumbled down the rest of the steps. Luckily J was in front of me and caught me…

The guys didn’t apologize and I kind of froze, but an older lady who had seen what had happened and got off on the same stop apologized profoundly. J didn’t know what had happened, he just thought I had tripped on the stairs and was puzzled as to why a random lady would apologize to me.

Wasn’t the best start, to my trip. On the positive side, I just found out that gelato places operate in the evenings as well.

Glad you are ok!
Good that the lady spoke up. I hate when things happen and my company doesn’t notice and I have to decide if I want to bring it up.

We spent the day exploring the Italian/Slovenian border, admiring our favourite river Isonzo/Soša, looking at impressive stone arc bridges, bungy jumpers, driving over mountain passes and looking at the remains of trenches and other structures from the fights during WW1.

Now at sea level, preparing for another tropical night. That did include a gelato and drinks place!

My wife and fly out of JFK, and we have tickets and reservations for early august for 5 days Morocco, then 12 days Berlin Germany, which I wont make due to my age and health.
My Granddaughter is in Morocco with her school, and wife will visit with her for a few days, unsure if she will opt out of Berlin,
This sounds like a nice trip. Sorry to hear it might not happen.
Glad you are ok!
Good that the lady spoke up. I hate when things happen and my company doesn’t notice and I have to decide if I want to bring it up.

We spent the day exploring the Italian/Slovenian border, admiring our favourite river Isonzo/Soša, looking at impressive stone arc bridges, bungy jumpers, driving over mountain passes and looking at the remains of trenches and other structures from the fights during WW1.

Now at sea level, preparing for another tropical night. That did include a gelato and drinks place!
Ooh, the scenery there is amazing. Nice to hear that you got the problems sorted and made it to Slovenia. Also, pics please! 🤩

A friend of mine just returned from Slovenia after visiting it for the first time. She’s completely in love with the country now and plans to go there again in August.

Back