The Travel Thread

J'aime très bien ce thème:
Sans aucune honte, sur la Seine,
Juteuse et soi-même.

Nz6LkTQ.png

Méli :rose:

Long weekend and both kids off on their own, so we took off on our own too.
Found some entertaining gravel roads through the woods too.
One road was a step too far though, because it went right through an old farm with tons of old junk cars and equipment, older than I am. Then it turned into just two wheel tracks before it closed.
We both admitted later that we half expected to meet someone with a shotgun when we passed through the farm on the way back and possibly someone playing the banjo.

F231A368-6A47-42AA-BD63-D2451F5846F2.jpegCF9A8206-20E9-49FD-830D-98EC512E97D2.jpegD987FFFA-E4CD-4928-B1B0-B08CA4785B3C.jpeg13D3B37A-5987-4CDD-A60B-419FEDEF85DD.jpeg9976B556-CDD6-458C-9344-704E43AF9171.jpeg

I recently went to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico (Destin, FL), and in a couple of weeks, I'm going with my friend L. to a beach on the Atlantic side of Florida (Daytona Beach), which I have never seen before, so I'm pretty excited about that!

I recently went to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico (Destin, FL), and in a couple of weeks, I'm going with my friend L. to a beach on the Atlantic side of Florida (Daytona Beach), which I have never seen before, so I'm pretty excited about that!

I know this place well. :) Do you know what you’ll be doing during your trip?

No clue! If you have any suggestions, I would be very happy to hear them. :)
I guess it depends on what you’re into.

If you have access to a vehicle it’s easier to get around, Daytona is pretty small and it’s easy to drive to the surrounding areas. On the beach you’ll find a popular attraction called the Bandshell that has shops and restaurants around. It’s pretty neat to visit and still hosts shows. If you can head towards Ormond Beach I recommend driving through The Loop. I prefer evening as there’s a chance to see fireflies 😃. On the mainland is Angell & Phelps Chocolate Factory that offers a self guided tour (and free samples) if you’re into that kind of thing. Across from that is the Jackie Robinson Memorial Baseball Park which might sound boring but it’s really cheap and a lot of fun to catch a game! In the evening when the sun is setting the breeze feels really good and the humidity isn’t stifling.

Daytona is kind of a weird sleepy town with a lively touristy vibe. If you’re going to the beach and would like something less busy there’s nice stretches on either side of the main beach that don’t allow vehicles to drive and park on it. But that’s kind of a spectacle in itself. :p

If you have access to a vehicle it’s easier to get around, Daytona is pretty small and it’s easy to drive to the surrounding areas. On the beach you’ll find a popular attraction called the Bandshell that has shops and restaurants around. It’s pretty neat to visit and still hosts shows. If you can head towards Ormond Beach I recommend driving through The Loop. I prefer evening as there’s a chance to see fireflies 😃. On the mainland is Angell & Phelps Chocolate Factory that offers a self guided tour (and free samples) if you’re into that kind of thing. Across from that is the Jackie Robinson Memorial Baseball Park which might sound boring but it’s really cheap and a lot of fun to catch a game! In the evening when the sun is setting the breeze feels really good and the humidity isn’t stifling.

Daytona is kind of a weird sleepy town with a lively touristy vibe. If you’re going to the beach and would like something less busy there’s nice stretches on either side of the main beach that don’t allow vehicles to drive and park on it. But that’s kind of a spectacle in itself. :p
Awesome, thank you very much!

We have no idea what we're getting into, but we are driving down, so we'll have a vehicle. (It's an 8-9 hour drive from my place.) I'm definitely going to pass these recommendations on to my friend!

Awesome, thank you very much!

We have no idea what we're getting into, but we are driving down, so we'll have a vehicle. (It's an 8-9 hour drive from my place.) I'm definitely going to pass these recommendations on to my friend!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :) i hope your trip is fun!

Isn’t that where the race track is?

You’ve made this sound so nice that I’d like to go too. Even though I know I’d burst into flames there. 😂

I would brave the climate for manatees, but it’s probably not manatee season now.

You’ve made this sound so nice that I’d like to go too. Even though I know I’d burst into flames there. 😂

I would brave the climate for manatees, but it’s probably not manatee season now.
H’oh boy 😅 there’s a lot I could say to persuade you otherwise. I would say that Florida has really unique wildlife and the state parks and sanctuaries are quite interesting so it’s worth a visit. If all else fails it’s got the theme park capital of the world so there’s that. :p

If you visit, the coasts are pretty great and the water makes the heat much more bearable. Or travel between December and February for cooler weather. ;)

I’ve been to the Gulf Coast of Florida, the theme parks and Keyes several time. It is a great place to visit.

Never made it to the Atlantic side.

H’oh boy 😅 there’s a lot I could say to persuade you otherwise. I would say that Florida has really unique wildlife and the state parks and sanctuaries are quite interesting so it’s worth a visit. If all else fails it’s got the theme park capital of the world so there’s that. :p

If you visit, the coasts are pretty great and the water makes the heat much more bearable. Or travel between December and February for cooler weather. ;)
Well I’ve always wanted one of those Mickey Mouse hats.

You’ll know I’m in Florida if you watch the news and see a story about people being blinded by the almost translucent white skin of a random tourist in a Mickey Mouse hat moments before said tourist catches fire for no obvious reason. People will flee, scientists will think vampires are real.

I have plans to go to Scotland later this year. Anyone have any particularly good recommendations to do or avoid?
TIA

I have plans to go to Scotland later this year. Anyone have any particularly good recommendations to do or avoid?
TIA
Stirling was lots of fun for a few days. I lucked into an amazing guide in the Stirling castle and I was there in late October so there weren’t too many people there to begin with, so I got to ask all the questions I wanted on what was basically a private tour. I tend to not care about kings and queens and such things about history, so it was cool to be able to ask the guide also about other things.

The Wallace Monument was nice. Amazing views and the route up the hill was beautiful too. Deanston distillery was a nice place too. And there was an excellent whisky shop in Stirling with a lot cheaper prices than in Edinburgh. The owner gave so many samples. Too many. :D

I didn’t know anything about Stirling or the castle or the significance of it (haven’t seen Braveheart either), I just sort of ended up there having done exactly zero research and was very happily surprised.

It’s close to Edinburgh so a convenient location for a short trip.

You could go to Dunoon and see how Claire and Cal are doing. I'm following the blog of a young couple that accidentally purchased a broken relic of a house in an auction using up their funds. They decided to persevere and restore it. They have random blog followers that show up and live with them for a week or two helping out with their restoration effort. They've been fun to follow.

sounds like fun. But how do I get random people to show up and work on my project yard/ house?

Back