"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ramonathompson said:
I do different kinds of parodies. Dark ones not always meant for comic effect. I was in no way poking fun or trying to hurt anyone with this write nor do I regret for a moment that I wrote it.

Thank you.
Instead of finding your message inside someone else's framework, as you do in your parodies, couldn't you try to write a piece uniquely in your own voice? I'd like to see where all of this imitation has brought you. You're clever and in many way, skilled with words, but when you write these, it feels like the skill may lie with another poet, not you.

I'd truly like to see what you can do on your own. Not a long rambling thing unless that really is your style, but a fine poem built on all the practice you've gotten paraphrasing other poets.

champagne1982 said:
Instead of finding your message inside someone else's framework, as you do in your parodies, couldn't you try to write a piece uniquely in your own voice? I'd like to see where all of this imitation has brought you. You're clever and in many way, skilled with words, but when you write these, it feels like the skill may lie with another poet, not you.

I'd truly like to see what you can do on your own. Not a long rambling thing unless that really is your style, but a fine poem built on all the practice you've gotten paraphrasing other poets.

I will work on posting less parodies and more of my orignial works.

An example of which is below.

I welcome all feedback and comments.

Thank you.

http://talesofworldwarz.com/stories/2007/08/21/the-last-of-the-living-by-ramona-thompson/

Went and changed my skin over to the new vB 3 default. Know that Manu's busy busy busy with the changeover so I'm not about to complain about the thing showing my age as a younger 51, even though I still feel even younger than that.

And the text box has got Spell Check capability! And Undo/Redo. But Insert link/image still has to be done manually.

I havent got the choice do you have to have so many posts before you get extras?

Go to the User CP to make changes. Experiment. Near the bottom of that page you can select the type of text editor. You don't want Basic, you want Standard Editor — it has more features. Also, you can change the text under your name {next to the avatar} after 1,000 posts.

But, if all you want to change is the skin {the look/color}, go to the bottom of this page & you can try different skins on for eye comfort; I've opted for the vBulletin 3 Default style.

Last edited:
Well when I posted last I didnt have that choice on my drop down menu but now it sems I have also I have to log in everytime now which I didnt before except when I deleted my cookies .... sighhhhh I am having a bad day AIM is playing silly bees with my quizroom as well and I have had to search for my website which went awol along with it but is nothing at all to do with this but just by way of explaination!!

If something I had written really upset someone I would be terribly upset and contrite myself. I certainly wouldn't tell them that I wasn't sorry I had written it. But I suppose different people have different standards to live by.

I'm with you here.

It's generally accepted that a parody is written to amuse through its clever (or not) imitation of the original, and it may have a point to make along the way. Readers expect this from a parody. They can appreciate the skill of the imitation, but they also have the right to sympathize with the message or object to it, no matter how well it's hidden. Cloaking the topic in the form of a parody doesn't make its message automatically acceptable to all.

A poem invites us into the thoughts and emotions of the writer. I find it difficult to separate the ideas from the poet's intentions as I see them coming through in the poem, especially if the issue is a contentious one.
Thanks for this. I was having a difficult time finding words to voice these ideas and you've written them for me. Nicely stated.

If something I had written really upset someone I would be terribly upset and contrite myself. I certainly wouldn't tell them that I wasn't sorry I had written it. But I suppose different people have different standards to live by.

I feel that I have nothing to be upset about because I don't. If I said I was sorry for or got upset over everything I had ever written that people had complained about then I would be in a depression so deep that I would never get out of it.

Same with any author. We are not babysitters. We are only artists putting forth and exploring human emotions and feelings upon the written page or in this case computer screen.

That you did not take this matter up with me personally leads me only to believe that you wanted attention for yourself by bringing the matter public hence your smart ass little remark about different standards to live by.

If I am wrong about this then I am sorry. Like you I had to say what was on my mind at the time.

Have a good night,

Ramona T

thank you for the mention twelveoone. i appreciate your comments, all of them. :rose:

i wonder if anyone understands why the blossoms are black, or if it was not clear enough.

Glad to see it. I didn't see this train until now, after I left my comment. Speaking of comments... how about leaving some, I hate seeing people post poems and not leave comments.

Sorry about that. I am often so busy that I am unable to leave many comments. I promise I will start working on that and try to leave comments more often.

Perhaps I have this wrong I was under the impression if you post poems in public you are asking for public opinions. As for saying you are sorry well yeah I've heard that before somewheres. I don't usually go all out to say what I think or draw attention to myself and this was very hard for me to do more than you will ever know. Dark parody or not I STILL think its the wrong word to put beside that subject.

Maybe there will be just one poem a day from now on, and all of them by that same poet...
:caning: <---Okay, what's that all about?

Has to do with bare asses and spanking, neither of which you are familiar with, I am sure. :D

Poor Hugo....

Perhaps I have this wrong I was under the impression if you post poems in public you are asking for public opinions. As for saying you are sorry well yeah I've heard that before somewheres. I don't usually go all out to say what I think or draw attention to myself and this was very hard for me to do more than you will ever know. Dark parody or not I STILL think its the wrong word to put beside that subject.

On that point you are right. I should have put dark rewrite and not parody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back