"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm here, freakin' late- and I apologize, though it was quite lovely to see Unmasked Poet roll out the carpet for Saturday. The day was crazy, as I thought it would be, and I've only just got in and read today's offerings, having been out since ungodly hours of the morning. Absolute cracking way to start off my first review day, eh?

There were three poems in particular that really wriggled into me. (Presented in submission order)

Of her two poems from Saturday, Into the Mirror by our Patron Saint of Swirly Poetry, Ms. Annaswirls is just exactly the sort of poem I love dipping my fingers into. It reminds me of when you take a chance at a restaurant and order something you wouldn't normally think of, and when it comes it tastes progressively better and better until you're leaving and all you want to do is go right back in and order it again. That restaurant thing doesn't happen to me too much, but that feeling is incredible- when you've been given something that's pleasing on so many levels. And this poem is that, does that, you know.

For me it doesn't start off with a particularly erotic bent, but before I know what's happened it's taken my hand and led me to this place:

but you always allowed me to fuck myself
fucked me with my own words
my image my ego my body
you with your tools and tune lock magistrate
you held the mirror
I held the mirror
our breath condensed letters tracing
fuck yourself baby do it
fuck yourself do it do it

and ends with a request: "roll me down roll me down."
Goddddddddd. It's so invertedly dirty and personal and, for me, visual as well as musical. Musical of body, and cadence. With raw edges. Just, so good.

I really get the sense that there's more clever trickery going on in this poem than I'm able to pick up- and it's behind Anna's eyes. We might not even be allowed to know what it is, but we do know it's there. And it keeps bringing me back.

The second poem that pulled me in for a repeat experience was Butterflies by madelinemadly. I'm not a huge fan of the title because I do think it's one of those too oft-used words/images, but despite that it's a really sweet and tidy little prose poem that does bring thoughts of warmer months (remember that, people? Warmth?) and the sorts of delicious activities that can happen when all feels right and heavy with the world.

I find this image:

scrunch the hem of her dress in your fist to pull her toward you, skinny ribs against your chest, beating heart against your skin

to be particularly enjoyable because it's both easily conjured and easy in its acceptance of you as a reader. You can feel that, understand it, see it.

Do you think when you fuck her it will be like your dream, she will fall to you and away/ like a spring lily on a rough breeze, opening just enough to crush/ you in her petals?

Is also well-crafted. The starkness of the word "fuck" against such delicate wording is interesting.

The third offertory is one that both Unmasked and I certainly agree on. The Man Who Wasn't There by UnderYourSpell is a wonderful little read (and not about a Coen brothers movie). It really makes me think of the Romantic poetry, but more accessible in my mind. For some reason the Romantics tend to tangle up in my head (yes, let the stoning begin. Though, the notable exception to that is Lord Byron. Whatta man) and before I know it I'm a little muddled about who's dead, who's in love, who's humping a tree, and who's hitting the crackpipe (okay, okay, that was mean. Sorry, Romantics). Please to forgive.

Like Unmasked, I am not a devoted fan of rhyme, but Annie's really just made me tingle with happiness. Despite the dark subject matter she crafted the poem with a light hand and used words that buoy the poem and knit it together like a delicate shawl instead of a heavy sweater.

As a prolific crafter of decidedly interesting work, I think it would be a disservice to him/her not to mention Cal. Of the four submissions from Saturday, I enjoyed Nasty Girls and Other Poems most. The thing about Cal's poems (and I hope I'll be forgiven the liberty of speaking somewhat informally- we have not spoken) is that you cannot just read them as you would anything else. The words rather demand that you lie down in the spiderweb for awhile, get good and woolly, and then emerge with a headspace that is reminiscent of Queen Mab on ecstasy, who has just indulged in a long and solemn discourse with a smoldering gay man about Very Existential Things.
And you know what? It doesn't always rub you the right way, but it's kinda damn cool. I don't know that I've run across anyone who tosses the word "interregnum" in a poem which features anal sex. The vocabulary is interesting and the odd tidbits of pithy wisdom make for a few "Hmm" moments, along with a few times where I laughed out loud because something so everyday was mentioned, yet which I wouldn't necessarily think of. Like this:

A pair of buttocks
Looks more naked
When a girl’s pants
Are halfway down
Or a girly boy’s ass
Is visible, sans panty lines;
I’m not arguing
For restraint, just making
An observation while I eye
The orange thongs I have on.

Just, yeah. Pique-y, if I can make up a word.

A poem/song from another of our prolific authors, Ramona Thompson, was Dollhouse Fantasy and I found that as I read I kept nodding until I was grinning because it's Just So True. Also, as a Barbie-lover back in my day, I like the thought of pairing how I used to play with them with this work. Which might sound kind of sick on my part, but I prefer to think it's rather witty on Ramona's, to get my brain to work in that way.

Dreams in Water by miss_trust was also a compact little packet of sheet-y goodness. I admit, the water imagery doesn't fully work for me, mostly because I think she's capable of a deeper parallel, though I think I understand where she was going with it. It's still certainly worth a read, as is all of her work.
The part about the eyes widening was one of those lines where I think about how I enjoy her mind (miss_trust's). It might be easy to dismiss miss_trust as another female poet, without truly reflecting on where her thoughts are coming from, but I find her mind to be quite pleasing and I enjoy her work.

I'd also recommend giving a read to AChild's Till (which starts out resoundingly like a Keats poem, if I may say so) and The Word for Hunger Sounds Like Femme by greenmountaineer. That one wins title of the day for me. Love titles like that.

Thus ends the review. Thank you to everyone who shared their work.

*smile*

Thanks for the mentions of my new works.

Thankyou Blue for my mention in your review I only just realised it as the links in my emails for who has posted what have gone haywire today either not letting me in at all or redirecting me to the wrong post

You three ladies are very welcome, and I'm so glad you let us see what's cranking around in those fabulous heads of yours. :rose:

Working on it

Hello everyone,

I have read some of the comments and I thank you for pointing me out...at all. I want to work on honing my writting. I have been checking in and reading but I need work and I look forward to brutal criticism to really express in words what I am feeling on the inside. I am happy to be here and learn.

"You will not improve much if you just write it, you have got to study it, practice what you learn from the study. I promise its fun. Its so much fun it not even like learning."

Unmasked Poet, do you write it? I've always learned more from a teacher that reveals something of themselves, and since we're talking about poems--why not teach by uncovering something of yourself that's hidden...

UP - many thanks, again, for seeing something of note in a piece of mine - happy to have made an impact.

appreciation to all reviewers: you have more guts than i - i like almost everything i read so would have very little of worth to say - y'all do a tremendous service in taking advantage of the free thoughts and giving free thoughts in return.

Miss_trust I enjoyed the poem no thanks are needed.

Empd607, revel something of myself? You have seen my avatar? :)
I do think learning is fun. I do believe if any poet regardless of skill or proficiency invest a little study behind their talent they will write better. I think writing better should always be a goal. Who doesn’t want to be the best poet they can be? I do write but why does that matter? What is it you think I should revel?

Miss_trust I enjoyed the poem no thanks are needed.

Empd607, revel something of myself? You have seen my avatar? :)
I do think learning is fun. I do believe if any poet regardless of skill or proficiency invest a little study behind their talent they will write better. I think writing better should always be a goal. Who doesn’t want to be the best poet they can be? I do write but why does that matter? What is it you think I should revel?

A poet is only unmasked within their poetry. If you're willing to teach, I'm willing to read your poems. Maybe no one's asked yet? I'm asking. There's a few of mine that aren't rubbish and I think pretty much reveal what I'm about. I'm not getting Socratic circa Republic et al--inferring you have to only go to the horse trainer to learn about training horses. That would be too Philosophy of Aesthetics first semester, wouldn't it?

PS: I'm hoping you live in a cave and I've never actually read your poems, so you can step forth like Zarathustra from the mountain-top. If not, could you pretend?

Last edited:
Thanks U.P., anna, darkmaas for recent comments on the review thread.
Thanks to those who read and commented.
By the way, there have been some great poets and poetry lately. I'm guessing it's coming from the survival challenge. Anyway, I'm loving it. I'm having great coffee/poetry mornings. :)

Since I know Ange is having a busy morning, I'll do the review that she so kindly was going to do for me. Well, it will be more of a "hey, read these."

Here are the ones not to miss:
Whaddya Gonna Do? by greenmountaineer
And don't miss the wonderful last stanza in Real Critics Don't Buy Tickets by champagne1982

And a few other good poems:
Freudian Slips by Cal Y. Pygia
Circus of Love by Sapphos Sister
There should be more than this by RazzRajen

Oh you! You should have waited for me; I'm home now! Well, how about next week? Want a break then?

And btw, I've been commenting on your poems, too, lol. I'm chopped liver? :mad: (I'm joking. I know you love me.)

And a Razz poem!!!!!!

Oh you! You should have waited for me; I'm home now! Well, how about next week? Want a break then?

And btw, I've been commenting on your poems, too, lol. I'm chopped liver? :mad: (I'm joking. I know you love me.)

And a Razz poem!!!!!!

Yeah, it was totally cool to see Razz!
You can do next week. :cattail:

Yeah, it was totally cool to see Razz!
You can do next week. :cattail:

Thanks for the comments on the poem both of you !

I did not stop writing - just stopped writing on the pc. Went to paper and pen. Wanted to feel the words as I placed them on the page.

So yes its been a long time since I did some writing electronically. :D

Razz

I did not stop writing - just stopped writing on the pc. Went to paper and pen. Wanted to feel the words as I placed them on the page.

Razz

You're welcome. It really is a pleasure to see you here again. You and those lovely kinky-ethereal poems of yours.

:rose:

Razz

Ah, used paper and pen like a real man! Whatever that means... but it excites me.

Thanks to annaswirls and Unmasked Poet for the mention in the review thread and to bflagsst, UnderYourSpell, WickedEve, ishtat and Angeline for comments left with the various poems.

(Eve, both Taxi and Cathedral were posted before - Muffie did an in-depth study of Cathedral that was memorable. I hope there is no rule that prevents re-submission.)

(Eve, both Taxi and Cathedral were posted before - Muffie did an in-depth study of Cathedral that was memorable. I hope there is no rule that prevents re-submission.)
I knew I recognized that poem.
re-submission rule? I hope not. I'm slowly resubmitting a lot of my old poems. Some from 5 and 6 years ago!

I enjoy reading poems that give me something to ponder, a thank you to all the poets who put themselves out there for people like me to read and comment on. Even if I don't like it I do appreciate it.

Can a title alone be a poem? I asked myself that question when reading Straight Razor Searching by wickedeve. The wonderful title had me salivating like Pavlov’s furry friends. The poem is okay not nearly as good as the title for me. The opening “not tortoise, an ivory moment” is quite nice I can see the handle but for me the poems fades from there. So why am I talking about it because I love the title and the very last 3 lines. While it’s not enough for a poem it is enough for a moment.

I've been resubmitting some older poems. That poem is from 5 years ago. Maybe it's not the wisest decision to submit them again. I've been reading them and realizing that my poetry has changed over the years. Now when I read, S. R. S., for instance, I'd change the second stanza for sure. I guess I'm putting them back on lit to give them "safe" storage. Hey, I love all your comments on my poems. You're a straight shooter, my dear man.

“You swallowed the cottonmouth Wonder Bread
Wafer each Easter Sunday but prayed”

"Why do I think that? Because in my opinion the second line does not need the word wafer go back and read the second line again. It clearly indicates the religious connection with the words Easter Sunday and prayed. So the word wafer can be removed it is extraneous and I think poems should strive for that often-impossible goal of making every word count."-----

Greenmountain, I read your first two lines as:
You swallowed the cottonmouth Wonder Bread
Waiver/Wafer each Easter Sunday but prayed

I thought it was brilliant. You waiver in terms of the value of religion and prayer, whereby the next bit's about praying for Yankees and beer.

The problem was in the 3rd and fourth lines of the first stanza, if you changed those I think the poem would be all diamond. Oh yeah, "Sister Kate so Honoré" was a bit too tongue-sassy, I'd drop the 'honore' and just go with honorable. But maybe I don't know what you mean by Sister Kate.

Last edited:
To everyone who's been reading and commenting on my poems, I'd like to thank you and add a special switch/kiss to WickedEve and Tihmmnmm for the mentions.

Happy Valentine's Day :heart:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back