"To keep the review thread clean..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops. Just got reeducated on the hazards of not keeping an eye on these eyes that should be instructed to take in the new local chapter in which the setting has become snowy, instead of letting them wander around the halls unsupervised.

normal jean's post moved here:
lol. His rude response isn't actually out of place at all for him. That comment is precisely my picture of him as a human being and poet. Mediocre.

normal jean said:
Actually, SJ is a wonderful poet and entitled to his opinion and ever since I have been here, he hasn't changed. He is an acquired taste but it is appalling that anyone would judge a poet's ability by his/her personal opinion of that person.

Lot's of people here have personalities that disgust me; Senna isn't one of them. I am, but that's my problem.

Accept and move on, or put on ignore and move on. Sadly, there are some that cannot be put on ignore and that gags me....

Thanks twelveoone!

I appreciate the feedback and your vigilance regarding cliches; it is keeping me honest. The Evening Blue was a poem that I wrote but couldn't perfect and it lingered for a long while unfinished.

In pronounce hindmost so is rhymes lightly with mind. This is the big problem with Aussie English. Our pronounciation varies so much that we really need our own rhyming dicitionary but one doesn't exist. It can be frustrating. I have two at home (which I only consult in moments of abject desperation), one British and one American and that helps but it's not enough.

I appreciate the feedback and your vigilance regarding cliches; it is keeping me honest. The Evening Blue was a poem that I wrote but couldn't perfect and it lingered for a long while unfinished.

In pronounce hindmost so is rhymes lightly with mind. This is the big problem with Aussie English. Our pronounciation varies so much that we really need our own rhyming dicitionary but one doesn't exist. It can be frustrating. I have two at home (which I only consult in moments of abject desperation), one British and one American and that helps but it's not enough.
I wouldn't worry, that is the problem with all English, that and syllable count varies widely.

When I read your post, I immediately thought about one of my favorite songs "Tie me Kangeroo Down, Sport" because of its wonderful and exotic words. I think when a culture emerges on its own from where most of its settlers come, it also develops its own dialect and within the culture itself dialects multiply. I studied Spanish in high school and college, which was mostly Castillian Spanish. When I, as a young social worker, heard my first client from Puerto Rico speak Spanish, I could barely understand her. I got used to it and spoke with many from just about every country in or bordering the Carribbean. Later in the Army I had my first opportunity to speak Spanish with Mexican soldiers. Their choices of words, pronunciation, and cliches were also very different in some respects.

"Feggedaboudit" in New York sounds very different than the King's English "Forget about it." Of course, Chipbutty or UYS might tell me to fuggedaboudit, which in Rhode Island, I'm pretty sure means "you don't know what you're talking about.";)

When I read your post, I immediately thought about one of my favorite songs "Tie me Kangeroo Down, Sport" because of its wonderful and exotic words. I think when a culture emerges on its own from where most of its settlers come, it also develops its own dialect and within the culture itself dialects multiply. I studied Spanish in high school and college, which was mostly Castillian Spanish. When I, as a young social worker, heard my first client from Puerto Rico speak Spanish, I could barely understand her. I got used to it and spoke with many from just about every country in or bordering the Carribbean. Later in the Army I had my first opportunity to speak Spanish with Mexican soldiers. Their choices of words, pronunciation, and cliches were also very different in some respects.

"Feggedaboudit" in New York sounds very different than the King's English "Forget about it." Of course, Chipbutty or UYS might tell me to fuggedaboudit, which in Rhode Island, I'm pretty sure means "you don't know what you're talking about.";)
as if we would... init? :D

my mother would have had kittens had i forgotten to enunciate or pronounce correctly :rolleyes: - which i why i enjoy playing with it so much today. :devil:

I wouldn't worry, that is the problem with all English, that and syllable count varies widely.

Yes, have suffered from the syllable issue too. It's a major problem for Aussies writing haiku. One word that always gets me; evening. Most Aussies pronounce it eve-ning but lots of sources consider it should be pronounced e-ven-ing.It shits me.

I thinks so. It is interesting that broad Aussie accents are disappearing due to exposure to other cultures in the last couple of decades. In fact a lot of little Aussies are speaking their first words with distinctively American accents due to the influence of American television and music.

as if we would... init? :D

my mother would have had kittens had i forgotten to enunciate or pronounce correctly :rolleyes: - which i why i enjoy playing with it so much today. :devil:

I learnt to talk under the tutelage of my very proper North Shore Sydney (the posh, anglophilic part of Sydney) grandmother. Her mother had migrated from England as an adult and my grandmother's way of pronouncing words had a very British flavour. She corrected my grammar sharply, which has served me well as I can turn on major eloquence when it suits me. The downside was the my accent was so pronounced that the kids at school used to tease me that I sounded like a pom (Englishman for those unfamiliar with the slang).

When I, as a young social worker, heard my first client from Puerto Rico speak Spanish,
correction...
Spanglish
Some Puerto Rican kids often don't know whether a particular word is English or Spanish when they have to do switching.

I asked a friend from England what he thought about the Speak English! signs that were appearing in America. His response: When are you going to start?

correction...
Spanglish
Some Puerto Rican kids often don't know whether a particular word is English or Spanish when they have to do switching.

I asked a friend from England what he thought about the Speak English! signs that were appearing in America. His response: When are you going to start?

Spanglish came after me, at least on the east coast of the U.S. I'm an old "hombre" in as much as I was speaking Spanish with clients in the late sixties and early seventies. At that time, those who came to the east coast by way of New York were mostly from the rural areas of Puerto Rico and didn't know how to read or write Spanish, much less know a few words of English, and when they had to sign their name to a document, it more often than not was a cross that I counter-signed as a witness. La Vida by Oscar Lewis, a great book by the way, details the Puerto Rican migration that began in the sixties. There were a few whose children were speaking "Spanglish" by then, I'm sure, but I seldom heard it, except when my clients referred to "el welfare."

Still, to loop back to my reply to vrosej10's post, they had a wonderful musical quality to the way they spoke, just as the Mexican Spanish I then heard, and I think that has to do with so many of their words ending in distinctive vowel sounds.

I find the sound of dialect very appealing in poetry, knowing full well that it may disinterest some because they are not familiar with it. I tried to get at that in Angelina Rodriquez, such as it was.

Last edited:
Hi Y'All,

For a newbie poet, MistressLynn is doing great. Check out both her poems, Bruised and His Fantasy. They're pretty cool.

Thank you for the comments and the recommendation.

twelveoone, I appreciate the comment you left as well.

:rose:

Thanks for the kind words Chipbutty. That poem was just a bit of fun. I am that much of a cynic. People always tell me I'm a much better writer when I'm funny....

MOVED: Originally posted by Epmd607

Originally Posted by Misphit View Post
most certainly the author of each and every line in this poem. I posted under a different user name 2 years ago. I wish this person would've come to me before accusing me of something as awful as plagiarism. Very hard for me to prove or defend myself. My name originally was illustr8rrr, if that helps. Sadly, even the person who so recklessly slings these accusations, admits it would be difficult to prove his/her case. Bummer.

For the past couple years parts of the poem have appeared on different Internet sites. Who you posted as on Literotica should be irrelevant unless the poem was originally posted on Lit. I don't think it is. I found a poem by illustr8rrr called 'Twas the Day After Christmas' from '06. But even if illustr8rrr had posted an identical poem to the one you posted the other day you couldn't in fact say from your current account that you were illustr8rrr with any verifiability. But that doesn't matter, there's a much easier way for you to claim your work if you're so inclined.

In 2008 there are a number of people posting your exact poem on differing message boards not linked to Lit. Where did they see your poem? Don't tell me that illustr8rrr's 'Twas the Day After Christmas' is identical because I'll go ask AnnaSwirls. There aren't too many Christmas poems that one reviews on Lit, it's entirely possible that she'll read the new poem posted and say she's read it before. As soon as I read the poem I knew I'd read it somewhere before, that's why I did the search.

And again:

Epmd607's post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misphit View Post

If someone here can state as a matter of fact, that I have committed plagiarism, delete my account from this site.

Don't worry, I'm on the case now. You have every chance to show that you are the original author err the first person to post the poem to the Internet. I'll find the cache even if it was deleted years ago. If you're so inclined that is. Simply state the original website you posted the poem, the same one you posted days ago to Lit Poems.

I've written two different parodies of 'Twas the Night", my first was titled 'Twas The Day After Christmas', in which I took aim at various pop culture icons, such as Frosty and The Grinch. My second, which was written the next year, was originally titled 'White Trash Christmas'. Both were only posted by me, on Literotica. The day After, was also posted to my Facebook page about a year ago. If someone else copied my work from this site, and reposted elsewhere, I have no knowledge or control. I've grown weary of defending myself here.

Here is a review I saved, from when I originally posted 'White Trash Chrstmas' to this site. I believe the review was written by WickedEve, but I'm not positive.

"When one has been abducted and forced to float the cyber boulevards as a Reviewer of Poems, that one must understand certain inevitabilities. They try to prepare you, through extensive exercises and unannounced midnight drills, but of course none of these really do prepare you until you and the Inevitables are staring each other in the eye and you have to deal with it. Generally have to do what they want. Give, comply, without struggle, unless they specifically want you to pretend, for them. Your pleasure is not their concern. Only theirs.

And so, during this time of year that many around the world consider more special than the others to set aside for festivity and wishing good peace to all, it would be no surprise that more than one poem will be written in honor of this time. Also, we must all be grateful that parody and humor seem to come alive along with the widespread spreading of eggnog on boobs and licking up of holiday butterscotch puddings from hands and sundry parts. But we can all thank the Great Gonads of the Universe that someone like illustr8rrr comes along just when we think we're on the verge of irretrievable jadedness and gives us a fine and patriotic romp like White Trash Christmas."

Here is a review I saved, from when I originally posted 'White Trash Chrstmas' to this site. I believe the review was written by WickedEve, but I'm not positive.

"When one has been abducted and forced to float the cyber boulevards as a Reviewer of Poems, that one must understand certain inevitabilities. They try to prepare you, through extensive exercises and unannounced midnight drills, but of course none of these really do prepare you until you and the Inevitables are staring each other in the eye and you have to deal with it. Generally have to do what they want. Give, comply, without struggle, unless they specifically want you to pretend, for them. Your pleasure is not their concern. Only theirs.

And so, during this time of year that many around the world consider more special than the others to set aside for festivity and wishing good peace to all, it would be no surprise that more than one poem will be written in honor of this time. Also, we must all be grateful that parody and humor seem to come alive along with the widespread spreading of eggnog on boobs and licking up of holiday butterscotch puddings from hands and sundry parts. But we can all thank the Great Gonads of the Universe that someone like illustr8rrr comes along just when we think we're on the verge of irretrievable jadedness and gives us a fine and patriotic romp like White Trash Christmas."

That is not Wicked Eve. She hasn't been around for a while so I'll defend her in her absence. She'd never write a review like that and anyone who has been here more than a year or two knows it.

That is not Wicked Eve. She hasn't been around for a while so I'll defend her in her absence. She'd never write a review like that and anyone who has been here more than a year or two knows it.

Agreed.

oops, I didn't see this was recommended, sorry I didn't pay attention, well seconded.

but since I got you here
why the title?

"Mesothelioma" is a lung cancer that can take 20-30 years to develop, which is implied in the poem. It's also a word unknown to many until the litigation lawyers got wind of it and started to use it in their cable TV informercials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back