Why do we write the way we do?

Old fashioned eh? ho hum I thought I had moved on from that over the years I had been here. Is it because I love forms so much that I am deemed so? All the forms that I now know I have learnt here, I don't know what to say now this has brought me to standstill but perhaps a short sharp shock is what I need to think again

But the style is so lovely on you. Form suits your voice.

Why would you want to keep words that are unnecessary? Even if you were writing something that was lavish with language, wouldn't you want the right lavish words? Sorry Bogus, but your argument doesn't work for me.

If a poem works, the words are necessary, if it doesn't, even in minimalist poetry, the words are unnecessary. That is simply what I meant. There are no rules but ones own. As modernism reduced everything to its essentials, along come young Turks and say tosh. Theory only is worthwhile if it can be trashed and doesn't become a creed.

No, that was actual, literal imagery. I was describing a pecan farm next door to a swamp that was right next to a marsh near my home. If I had picture I'd post it.
serendipity strikes again, then, V :D
i really thought you'd opted for the pecan as 'nut of choice' so to speak, for its visuals, as an allusion to the erotic nature of the tryst:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/2_pecan_nuts.jpg

it get's worse
lol, annie, i'm sure that was intended as a compliment - aimed at the elegance of phrasing and light touch you manage to wield that's so often lacking in poets a lot younger than BOTH of us :D

I am so sorry.:rose::heart: It didn't even occur to me that that might offend you. I am the queen of foot in mouth disease.

I realise there was no malice and I'm not offended as such just taken aback, but it did stop me submitting a ballad which I admit is a form as old as they come and am still having second thoughts

I realise there was no malice and I'm not offended as such just taken aback, but it did stop me submitting a ballad which I admit is a form as old as they come and am still having second thoughts

do i have to come smack yer bum, woman? :devil:

If a poem works, the words are necessary, if it doesn't, even in minimalist poetry, the words are unnecessary. That is simply what I meant. There are no rules but ones own. As modernism reduced everything to its essentials, along come young Turks and say tosh. Theory only is worthwhile if it can be trashed and doesn't become a creed.

Aren't we saying the same thing then? In responding to the thread I, too, was talking about what works for me, and I hope this is obvious, not suggesting an edict or a creed for anyone else though I know the advice I've been given has been very helpful to me.

If a poem works, yes the words are necessary but we each have a process that gets us there, if we get there and that was what I was talking about in my initial response. As we both know all too well it ain't magic. There's a lot of work (usually there is for me) involved in determining whether words are necessary or not. Some poems I've fiddled with for years looking at words and asking myself "necessary? not necessary?" or some variation thereof. Of course sometimes that's an exercise in futility, and the best thing to do is put the poem away for a while, sometimes a long while. Sometimes I know I've reached a point where I've so overthought it that the poem is irretrievable. But that necessary/unnecessary process is what editing is all about for me.

Anyway we've read each others' poems enough to know--I think--that neither of us is a minimalist. And in truth I never even think about that when I write. Unless I'm trying to write a certain form, I'm just trying to write a poem. Theories or attempts to be one way or another are not part of my equation.

And by the way I failed to say that it's good to see you posting here again Bogus, and I hope to see some of your poems again.

:rose:

And by the way I failed to say that it's good to see you posting here again Bogus, and I hope to see some of your poems again.

:rose:

It's good to be back and to see you are still here.:rose:

I'm going to post some but I'm not sure whether to submit them or just post them on the threads.

It's good to be back and to see you are still here.:rose:

I'm going to post some but I'm not sure whether to submit them or just post them on the threads.

I haven't done a challenge here in years but the 52 pick up one that Poet Guy has started is easy and accessible, so I signed on. Your poems would be a great addition to it, just sayin. :D

I am like a book
"to cliche"
open and free
"not real poetry"
honest, blunt
"been done, try something new"
whimsical, cute
"still crammed by style"
One cannot please everyone
"doesn't matter, why bother
you're an Alt and Real poets,
Real people hate Alts!"
Too bad you can't Google....
I could have learned from you!

I am like a book
"to cliche"
open and free
"not real poetry"
honest, blunt
"been done, try something new"
whimsical, cute
"still crammed by style"
One cannot please everyone
"doesn't matter, why bother
you're an Alt and Real poets,
Real people hate Alts!"
Too bad you can't Google....
I could have learned from you!

Write to please yourself. Try to take the creative criticism in the spirit it was meant and fuck the arseholes. They know who they are.

I was thinking about this for awhile. It's an interesting topic. I don't write poetry the way I talk. I write poetry the way I think. I write fiction and nonfiction the way I talk.

My thoughts tend to have layers (as I assume every poet's does). If I see a flower, it's not just a flower for long. It's determination, patience, longing, or hope. I realize that in writing about a flower and not spelling out the meaning in a completely concrete fashion, some readers will take it at face value and read the poem as if it is about a flower and only about a flower.

I guess part of my attitude about how to handle that discrepancy has a lot to do with my PTSD and my resulting attitude toward people.. cuz I am more likely to say- fuck the reader- than to "dumb down" my poetry and spoonfeed a reader. I feel that's my prerogative as a poet. It's my art, my craft. If my primary purpose was to get kudos from the general public, then obviously this would not be the way to do it. lol

Back