Gather, a spring challenge

I cast mine. It was difficult. I was sort of betrothed to Birdsnest and then when my love unexpectantly passed from the competition, I had to remarry my allegiance to a new poem. There were many worthy suitors. I learned to appreciate the way they fit in my mouth. My finally choice makes me very happy.

But if I am being honest, sometimes when I read it, I close my eyes and pretend it's Birdsnest.

hi annie :)

yep, noticed and enjoyed the internal rhyming. something a little different from your pen, more fluid within each line though some of the line breaks caught me. i actually thought one of the guys had written it since the poem had a more masculine 'voice' - shows adaptability :cool:

Thank you, it was fun to write :)

Odd objects to ballerinas finally won out, but damn did I have a hard time with picking a winner!!

Very different pieces, too.
very - and that's the beauty of a challenge such as this :cool: i honestly like all of the top 8, lost some others i liked along the way, and am really surprised Pp only has 1 vote so far :eek:

And the one I chose is still at only 2...oh, well, my second choice is among the three, so that's cool.
:D

Odd objects to ballerinas finally won out, but damn did I have a hard time with picking a winner!!
i absolutely love that title, and most of the poem.

the option for just 1 vote to cast seemed harsh at first, but dayumn if it hasn't really done me a favour - having to put all 8 in order of preference would have done my brain in!

Which one?

I'm fond of those 2-vote-getters.

me too :D

and since the only battle is between the top 3, the vote ends on the 18th and there's not a chance in hell of mine rising to the top, i think it'll be ok to admit N was mine :)

and since the only battle is between the top 3, the vote ends on the 18th and there's not a chance in hell of mine rising to the top, i think it'll be ok to admit N was mine :)

That was so good! ... I loved the imagery it created!

Oh no, the rabbit's out of the hole :eek:

thankyou :)

my bunny's no longer in the running so it didn't matter :kiss:

Excellent poem. Loved the wordplay, and the juxtaposition of Lewis Carroll's foggy dreamworld and the mad brutality of real life.

It gave me a Cheshire grin.

And don't be so sure of the contest. The starting line-up of a poetry-loving hoops team could still swing this thing!

Which one?

I'm fond of those 2-vote-getters.

I voted for Dd, Paperwhites, but Odd objects was my number 2.
I was pulling for the Alice referential piece, 'cause I like that sort of stuff (not the same source material--but as an example) but didn't like it more than the others I mentioned.

:cool:

Last edited:
Excellent poem. Loved the wordplay, and the juxtaposition of Lewis Carroll's foggy dreamworld and the mad brutality of real life.

It gave me a Cheshire grin.

And don't be so sure of the contest. The starting line-up of a poetry-loving hoops team could still swing this thing!
thankyou very much!

nah, if there was a sudden rush of votes now i'd have to ask they were ignored since i've outed it and they couldn't be counted as unbiased even if they were. there were better poems in the top 8 which is why my vote went to one of them. :cool::rose:

I voted for Dd, Paperwhites, but Odd objects was my number 2.
I was pulling for the Alice referential piece, 'cause I like that sort of stuff, but didn't like it more than the others I mentioned.

:cool:

i ended up voting for Snowmelt. i have one question to ask about it but have to wait till the winner's crowned. i've things to say about all of the finalist pieces!

i ended up voting for Snowmelt. i have one question to ask about it but have to wait till the winner's crowned. i've things to say about all of the finalist pieces!

I voted Snowbelt too. I also have a question about it. It would be interesting to see if it's the same as yours.

is it about the title? :D :p

No. Living as I do in northern New England, I found that it resonates. ""Snowbelt" is common here. I often joke that southern New England is the "banana belt." You "London Fog" folks might not see it in the same way (I've stacked my share of firewood. LOL)

It's either a typo or an imaginative convolution. I gave the benefit of the doubt to the latter. If the former, sorry poet of Snowmelt, no offense intended, but I would have miscast my vote because at this level of competition with so much quality, the winner IMO opinion should be flawless.

Last edited:
No. It's either a typo or an imaginative convolution. I gave the benefit of the doubt to the latter. If the former, sorry poet of Snowmelt, no offense intended, but I would have miscast my vote because at this level of competition with so much quality, the winner IMO opinion should be flawless.
then i think we're talking about the same thing. for me, though, even if a typo, the poem was still the strongest and others also have mistakes.

Last edited:
then i think we're talking about the same thing. for me, though, even if a typo, the poem was still the strongest and others also has mistakes.

Agreed; mine included among the 8. It wasn't a typo, but I lost a little sleep over a boner in it a few nights ago.

Yet isn't this fun? People are reading poems beyond the "atta boy, atta girl" 30 seconds plus or minus on "New Poems." 1201 was right. You wanna be a better poet? Read.

Last edited:
then i think we're talking about the same thing. for me, though, even if a typo, the poem was still the strongest and others also has mistakes.

See my edited version #422 in bold above after you wrote your post.

Last edited:
Back