Gather, a spring challenge

I can only guess at who wrote a few of the poems, and even then probably incorrectly. Two or three look gm-ish to me, I would ascribe a couple others to Annie, and I think I know which one ninianne wrote (though, again, I'm very possibly wrong about that).

I would have thought mine was pretty easy to guess, but since there seem to be at least three different guesses, perhaps it isn't as obvious as I thought.

I'm kind of surprised at the number of form poems--the acrostics, of course, but also ghazals, a triolet, at least one (kind of) limerick. I would have thought there'd be more of those, though perhaps the non-anapestic rhythm of the required phrase made writing a limerick difficult:
Testosterone Therapy

The venerable vicar of Wooster
felt his love life now needed a booster:
So load me full of zing
f'r anything but Spring
and I'll crow for her just like a rooster.
Since the key phrase is five syllables, I would have thought we'd get someone writing a 5-7-5 haiku.

Interesting mix of ideas, though. I'm curious which poems will make the next round.

This is hopeless - some gorgeously beautiful poems, but trying to match them to their authors? Not a chance.

Gg has beautiful, melancholy lines.

I loved the bittersweet, tongue in cheek tone of Pp, and the line "Bacteria art yet breeding the culture of you and I" made me smile.

I thought Pp and/or Bb might have been authored by AMB.

X - possibly Todski?

W - possibly gm?

I'm crawling back into my hole now, going back through and marking my favorites for the next round - seems like at least ~6, maybe 8, are coming up on everyone's radar so far. Nice to know.

This is hopeless - some gorgeously beautiful poems, but trying to match them to their authors? Not a chance.

Gg has beautiful, melancholy lines.

I loved the bittersweet, tongue in cheek tone of Pp, and the line "Bacteria art yet breeding the culture of you and I" made me smile.

I thought Pp and/or Bb might have been authored by AMB.

X - possibly Todski?

W - possibly gm?

I'm crawling back into my hole now, going back through and marking my favorites for the next round - seems like at least ~6, maybe 8, are coming up on everyone's radar so far. Nice to know.

I love Pp, beautifully framed on several layers imo although I was too lazy to run down the references that I didn't know

i'm wondering if E belongs to tzara, or maybe remec...

M tods?

P annies?

tricksy lot

Last edited:
Annie you had me going nutz today trying to figure out why my votes dinna tally right, you only voted 19 times; if you had used the ballot I would have caught it
:caning: sorry for fussing :eek: yiu should have seen me with tic marks on a shower of typewrite paper trying to figure out what went wrong, I started a spread sheet got it now

Really? I've just counted mine up as I have them written down and they still come to 21! I'll resend and hope I can still see what is what because I scratched them out as I went! Ooops about the ballot though I didn't realise to use it ............ I'm a blonde you know (collars and cuffs :) )

Ok I've resent them, copied exactly from the original PM but onto the ballot and yes I did send 21 the first time so I don't know what happened from me to you and far be it for me to question your fine, wonderful ballot counting :)

Guessing authorship

Re poem I: "Mud Season in Vermont".

I think greenmountaineer wrote this, because:
  1. Subject: Vermont. I mean, he is "greenmountaineer," after all.
  2. Style: The poem is a small story, with significant detail ("frozen cow pies," "postcard beach babe," etc.) and an ironic ending. That's gm all over, I think.
  3. Form: gm sometimes at least flirts with form. This poem is a kind of sonnet—fourteen lines, though broken into oddly lineated stanzas, and the rhyme seems to be on time delay—it doesn't seem to kick in until the second stanza, and then it's rather erratic. The poem's scheme, I think, is aab (I'm assuming a really slant rhyme here) cdec dec de cd.

Way Byzantine.
  4. Message: This is pure guesswork, but the irony sounds gm-ish to me.
Possibly, even likely, a completely wrong-headed analysis.

An ill-favoured thing, but mine own.

Q seems very pelegrino to me, rhyme and rhythm tightly controlled with the end release well timed.

I agree with Tzara about GM

The more I read "Odd Objects to Ballerinas" the more it grows on me. It received a vote from me easily for skill and unusualness, but has grown beyond that into one of my favorites as I have pondered. I even went and read X-Men #95. It's the one where Thunderbird dies, where the others plead with him to jump off of a plane but he refuses. Is this significant? I have no fucking idea. But the poem got me to read a forty year-old comic book. Kudos.

I've watched this process unfold. Kudos to Harry and others behind the curtain making this happen.

Lit PF&D has its ups and downs. This is a way up. All too often one may or may not go to New Poems, read a few in 30 seconds or less (there are some there that are worthy of more attention, but that's another story.) Then there may or may not follow the obligatory "atta boy, atta girl" among those that deserve a response.

This challenge, intended or not, makes me study a poem in a way I might otherwise not.

Between the voting and the guessing, I've read some poems four or five times and often pick up a nuance I didn't in the earlier readings.

I'm sure E is a trix piece....

K Stlgoddessfreya..

Kk Piscator maybe Remec maybe trix

Harry's lawn is so magnetron :D

Last edited:
I've watched this process unfold. Kudos to Harry and others behind the curtain making this happen.

Lit PF&D has its ups and downs. This is a way up. All too often one may or may not go to New Poems, read a few in 30 seconds or less (there are some there that are worthy of more attention, but that's another story.) Then there may or may not follow the obligatory "atta boy, atta girl" among those that deserve a response.

This challenge, intended or not, makes me study a poem in a way I might otherwise not.

Between the voting and the guessing, I've read some poems four or five times and often pick up a nuance I didn't in the earlier readings.

I enjoyed having to pick the outliers of the pack because pieces I dismissed on first read I was forced to look at more deeply which gave me a new appreciation of the pieces by reading them properly. One of the pieces I initially didn t think much of became a fav, go figure :)

I enjoyed having to pick the outliers of the pack because pieces I dismissed on first read I was forced to look at more deeply which gave me a new appreciation of the pieces by reading them properly. One of the pieces I initially didn t think much of became a fav, go figure :)

From mental floss.com:

LEAVES OF GRASS, BY WALT WHITMAN (FIRST PUB. 1855)

Early Reaction:

Fellow poet John Greenleaf Whittier supposedly hurled his 1855 edition into the fire.
"A mass of stupid filth" -Rufus Wilmot Griswold, The Criterion, November 10, 1855
"It is no discredit to Walt Whitman that he wrote Leaves of Grass, only that he did not burn it afterwards." –Thomas Wentworth Higginson, The Atlantic, “Literature as an Art,” 1867
“… the book cannot attain to any very wide influence." –The Atlantic, January 1882

From mental floss.com:

LEAVES OF GRASS, BY WALT WHITMAN (FIRST PUB. 1855)

Early Reaction:

Fellow poet John Greenleaf Whittier supposedly hurled his 1855 edition into the fire.
"A mass of stupid filth" -Rufus Wilmot Griswold, The Criterion, November 10, 1855
"It is no discredit to Walt Whitman that he wrote Leaves of Grass, only that he did not burn it afterwards." –Thomas Wentworth Higginson, The Atlantic, “Literature as an Art,” 1867
“… the book cannot attain to any very wide influence." –The Atlantic, January 1882

Critics are as bad as would be editors, screaming about plot holes after the first paragraph

Critics are as bad as would be editors, screaming about plot holes after the first paragraph

And it's easy to be a critic enough people with out the care to think for themselves will easily jump on the bandwagon of some fool flinging mud

Back