Okay, guys, here's a thread to air your views on voting

I'd like to point out to those of you who have said you have no problem with one votes that the vote represents hate.

Wow, quite a theory. Speaking as one who, over the years, has easily amassed more ones than words you have currently posted in poems and stories here at lit, I disagree with this philosophy. The word hate is obviously derived from the words that appear as you point to the first star on the ratings. What you miss is the fact that the second star has the words "I didn't like it much" and there is no star for "I didnt like it at all." So while a person may not hate a submission, when they don't like the submission at all they unfortunately default to "I hated it!"

And of course the selection of a single star can an indicator of a person's opinion of the poem. Even if the person hates the poem and says so with a one vote it doesn't represent hate... this person is not expressing hatred toward the writer, merely the work submitted (that is of course the person actually hated the work and not just didn't like it at all.)

There are many other reasons for a one vote that have nothing to do with hate. Back in the bad old days here (2004-2005), there was a contingent of people that felt that any vote less than a 5 was a slap in the face. They took great pride in discussing how they used their votes to adjust the 2's, 3's or 4's others had voted. They also, happily voted ones to anyone giving honest, but anything less than stellar reviews and comments on works, adjusting the 3's, 4's or 5's some truly excellent work had garnered. No hate involved, just a mathematical adjustment by some less than stellar thinkers.

Sometimes 1's are as good as fives. I had one person give me a one and then commented that a dispicable character I created was so mean that when he took advantage of a woman in the story he voted a one because the character was so disipicable. The reader was so angry when the evil man won out in the end he voted with a 1. I took that one as a solid 5...

I typically don't vote ones, not because of any hate or otherwise, it's because when I read most anything I typically try to find something good in what I dislike and something bad in what I like. So it is rare when I can say "I didn't like anything at all," much less hated a submission. Besides, over time the ones usually get washed away in the sweeps anyway.

As far as the poem that wound up all the excitement, I smiled when I first read fridayam's comment because a similar thought came to my mind. However, instead of finding that "I didn't like anything about it," I did like the play of the title "Too Short" and voted a 3 - "Liked it - keep on writing." I did find the title to be an excellent critique. As a poem I thought more needed to be said. As a koan I just got the feeling I had heard that all before, that rather than expressing an insight, it was more of a flag... look at me, I'm Zen. Again, the title played a little on that softening that impression, but I still wasn't completly drawn in. So I gave the poem a 3 (oddly, even though you had apparently turned off voting on your work, the five stars allowed me to vote).

Now I've got to change shirts and go watch my story in the Valentine's Day Contest get 2-bombed. Perhaps I'll get a few ones but they won't stick around.

jth : )

Wow, quite a theory. Speaking as one who, over the years, has easily amassed more ones than words you have currently posted in poems and stories here at lit, I disagree with this philosophy. The word hate is obviously derived from the words that appear as you point to the first star on the ratings. What you miss is the fact that the second star has the words "I didn't like it much" and there is no star for "I didnt like it at all." So while a person may not hate a submission, when they don't like the submission at all they unfortunately default to "I hated it!"

And of course the selection of a single star can an indicator of a person's opinion of the poem. Even if the person hates the poem and says so with a one vote it doesn't represent hate... this person is not expressing hatred toward the writer, merely the work submitted (that is of course the person actually hated the work and not just didn't like it at all.)

There are many other reasons for a one vote that have nothing to do with hate. Back in the bad old days here (2004-2005), there was a contingent of people that felt that any vote less than a 5 was a slap in the face. They took great pride in discussing how they used their votes to adjust the 2's, 3's or 4's others had voted. They also, happily voted ones to anyone giving honest, but anything less than stellar reviews and comments on works, adjusting the 3's, 4's or 5's some truly excellent work had garnered. No hate involved, just a mathematical adjustment by some less than stellar thinkers.

Sometimes 1's are as good as fives. I had one person give me a one and then commented that a dispicable character I created was so mean that when he took advantage of a woman in the story he voted a one because the character was so disipicable. The reader was so angry when the evil man won out in the end he voted with a 1. I took that one as a solid 5...

I typically don't vote ones, not because of any hate or otherwise, it's because when I read most anything I typically try to find something good in what I dislike and something bad in what I like. So it is rare when I can say "I didn't like anything at all," much less hated a submission. Besides, over time the ones usually get washed away in the sweeps anyway.

As far as the poem that wound up all the excitement, I smiled when I first read fridayam's comment because a similar thought came to my mind. However, instead of finding that "I didn't like anything about it," I did like the play of the title "Too Short" and voted a 3 - "Liked it - keep on writing." I did find the title to be an excellent critique. As a poem I thought more needed to be said. As a koan I just got the feeling I had heard that all before, that rather than expressing an insight, it was more of a flag... look at me, I'm Zen. Again, the title played a little on that softening that impression, but I still wasn't completly drawn in. So I gave the poem a 3 (oddly, even though you had apparently turned off voting on your work, the five stars allowed me to vote).

Now I've got to change shirts and go watch my story in the Valentine's Day Contest get 2-bombed. Perhaps I'll get a few ones but they won't stick around.

I disagree with you. "I hated it!" means it was hated.

oh I'm paranoid over all sorts of things ...... that someone hated one poem (not me personally) isn't one of them though

You do not understand all the reasons for the initial one-bomb, so I'll cut you some slack, but I wish you would think before you hurl insults.

I disagree with you. "I hated it!" means it was hated.

Nah... simply a default.

Continuing my discussion above, I forgot to mention I am also a competitor in the survivor contest which can guarentee plenty of one votes from the folks who try to force feed the idea that someone can't write a whole lot of good stories. One's can also be an effective means of undermining a writer's determination to continue writing a lot of stories, making it a strategy in the contest.

Theognis, you got a one on a poem, wait until you wake up every morning over a several month period with one or two 1s on everything story or poem you posted that day.

Yeah, I'm sorry but a one on a poem is nothing. Someone didn't like your poem, hey maybe, just maybe they hated it, but if this is your reaction to a single negative response from one person then writing may not be the best idea as a hobby, craft, career, or pastime because there will be more and many will make this one vote and comment seem laughingly meek.

Nah... simply a default.

Continuing my discussion above, I forgot to mention I am also a competitor in the survivor contest which can guarentee plenty of one votes from the folks who try to force feed the idea that someone can't write a whole lot of good stories. One's can also be an effective means of undermining a writer's determination to continue writing a lot of stories, making it a strategy in the contest.

Theognis, you got a one on a poem, wait until you wake up every morning over a several month period with one or two 1s on everything story or poem you posted that day.

Yeah, I'm sorry but a one on a poem is nothing. Someone didn't like your poem, hey maybe, just maybe they hated it, but if this is your reaction to a single negative response from one person then writing may not be the best idea as a hobby, craft, career, or pastime because there will be more and many will make this one vote and comment seem laughingly meek.

I realize people are commenting without knowing all the facts, but I do know all the facts, and I think you should realize there was more to this than appears on the surface.

As I've said, I won't be contributing anything else here, so this is all very temporary.

Dude. This is a forum. Some will always want to have the last word. As long as it's you, you haven't made that choice. :cool:

There are plenty of other things they can talk about. If they continue to give me something to respond to, I will.

I should note that I agree with some of what you've said. And it will be funny if one or two of the one-bombs gets swept and I wind up with another 'H' or two. :)

You do not understand all the reasons for the initial one-bomb, so I'll cut you some slack, but I wish you would think before you hurl insults.

please don't patronise me and as I admit to being paranoid too it's hardly an insult

FTLOG%20poem.JPG

i may write a poem about scores
or scoring
or both
or neither

i haven't quite made up my mind yet...

'allo, bronze :kiss:

I think there shall never be
a poem scored exactly three.
Not good, not bad, stuck in the medium
No excitement, no bore, just the tedium
of perfect meter and well chosen rhyme
but drones on for too much time,
as the reader's eyes glaze and tear
starting over at the top for fear
of missing the point, knowing well
there must be something to tell.
Would a poet waste paper and pen
with meaningless words and then
leave it for us to read and review
unless in his or heart, they knew,
it was worthy and poetically sound,
knowing fours and fives would be found.
Could words be assembled and had
to read pleasingly neither good nor bad?
Could any poem so mediocre be
to rate no better or worse than a three?

to rate no better or worse than a three?​
Very nice, cute, I like it!

it'd have to rate a 4 from me, bronze - there are places i want to tinker to keep the meter 'just right' and true to the piece you riffed off. ;)

to rate no better or worse than a three?

I've had far too much curry n wine and am very tipsycasical and read that as 'pathetically' ........ it took me 6 tries to type this

Back