Do guns make us more safe?

Not at all.

adrina specifically identified EXTREME 2A supporters as having a problem.

I concur.

I actually am a 2A supporter, just not EXTREME.

Banning the manufacture, importation, and distribution of certain weapons and accessories, along with more robust oversight / documentation of gun sales and more stringent requirements for gun ownership, are not “extreme” demands from the sensible gun regulation crowd.

If America starts enacting reasonable gun laws now, a significant reduction in the availability of EXTREME guns and accessories could be achieved in short order. A significant reduction in the number of unfit / unqualified people “legally” purchasing / possessing guns could also be achieved in short order.

👍

🇺🇸
I agree with all of this. The less guns illegally own the better. As far as unfit / unqualified people wanting guns. I strongly support mental health checks and required certified firearms classes before ownership is legally allowed.

It was harder to get and maintain my professional license that it was to get my concealed license.

There is also a large amount of ego tied to extreme 2A supporters. They get insulted easily, go on the offensive quickly and in turn resort to insults almost immediately.

The only reasonable discussion about gun control to them is no discussion about gun control.

Interesting.

So, when was the last time you were stalked? No domestic violence in your family right? ( if there was, you'd be the first suspect anyhow, you know being male and all). High crime neighbourhoods, like you live in one of those.....Fucking fear mongering, is all.
I’ve never been stalked or abused or been in a situation where I’ve felt the need to have a gun for protection. All my guns are in a gun safe bolted to the concrete floor in the basement. They’d be inaccessible if an intruder barged in. Not worried about it. Live in a nice area, lock the doors at night, and have a menacing looking dog who would happily let the intruder murder us in exchange for a treat.

But there are people with different circumstances.

There is also a large amount of ego tied to extreme 2A supporters. They get insulted easily, go on the offensive quickly and in turn resort to insults almost immediately.

The only reasonable discussion about gun control to them is no discussion about gun control.

Interesting.

Exactly this ^.

See also:

“TrailerHitch” challenging others to provide solutions to America’s gun violence problem, only to reject out of hand EVERY solution presented by decent, intelligent, and reasonable individuals.

JFC

SAD!!!

I’ve never been stalked or abused or been in a situation where I’ve felt the need to have a gun for protection. All my guns are in a gun safe bolted to the concrete floor in the basement. They’d be inaccessible if an intruder barged in. Not worried about it. Live in a nice area, lock the doors at night, and have a menacing looking dog who would happily let the intruder murder us in exchange for a treat.

But there are people with different circumstances.

It's probably a good thing the dog doesn't know the safe combination.

have a menacing looking dog who would happily let the intruder murder us in exchange for a treat.

I suspect anyone (including their “menacing looking dog) who knows BabyBoobs would let that happen for less.

*nods*

Interesting.
They ping-pong back and forth between different positions. Sometimes they live someplace so extremely dangerous they need a gun within easy reach at all times--but they never shoot anything. Sometimes they need their guns to defend themselves against government tyranny--but only a criminal would shoot a cop. Sometimes guns are serious tools--but they're also harmless toys. Any rationale will do if it supports their right to own as many as possible and carry them wherever they want.

It's interesting hearing American perspectives. I've lived in Canada, the Caribbean and Germany and it seems that guns are a big cultural and economic staple for the US.

I have family who has served in the military in the US and outside of it, and they serve a purpose for things like hunting and maybe defence in a remote area. I've also started to learn how to use them myself, out of sheer curiosity and sport.

For the most part they seem to have like an escalating effect where no one wants the be the man bringing the knife to the gun fight, so the more common fire arm related crime in your area is, the more sense it makes to have one. That being said, so many parts of the world now have their own issues with gun violence because of the sheer volume of weapons being exported from the US both legally and illegally. True safety lies in keeping people from falling into the river instead of trying to fish them out before the current sweeps them away.

Interesting.

You'd actually do better if you stopped being mentally defective and started learning something about the subjects you have wrongheaded opinions about.

We are aware of the problem of handgun violence in this country, and we take seriously the concerns raised by the many amici who believe that prohibition of handgun ownership is a solution. The Constitution leaves the District of Columbia a variety of tools for combating that problem, including some measures regulating handguns, see supra, at 2816-2817, and n. 26. But the enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570,

I like to target shoot in my backyard range. That's my majority reason for owning firearms. Would I use them to defend my home and family if absolutely necessary? Of course. But target shooting is my main firearm activity.

Sorry to burst your illusion.

Do attack and insult me in your normal trollish, shrieking liberal manner. I fully expect it.
You're an idiot. You didnt address the question you cock craving retard.

Interesting.
Talking with a woman about anything is a gamble.

Reading words written by a moron like LL is below me. So he goes onto ignore.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows​

More firearms do not keep people safe, hard numbers show. Why do so many Americans believe the opposite?
  • The claim that gun ownership stops crime is common in the U.S., and that belief drives laws that make it easy to own and keep firearms.
  • But about 30 careful studies show more guns are linked to more crimes: murders, rapes, and others. Far less research shows that guns help.
  • Interviews with people in heavily gun-owning towns show they are not as wedded to the crime defense idea as the gun lobby claims.
After I pulled the trigger and recovered from the recoil, I slowly refocused my eyes on the target. There it was—a tiny but distinct circle next to the zombie's eye, the first bullet hole I'd ever made. I looked down at the shaking Glock 19 in my hands. A swift and strong emotional transformation swept over me. In seconds, I went from feeling nervous, even terrified, to exhilarated and unassailable—and right then I understood why millions of Americans believe guns keep them safe.
Guns took more than 36,000 U.S. lives in 2015, and this and other alarming statistics have led many to ask whether our nation would be better off with firearms in fewer hands. Yet gun advocates argue exactly the opposite: that murders, crimes and mass shootings happen because there aren't enough guns in enough places. Arming more people will make our country safer and more peaceful, they say, because criminals won't cause trouble if they know they are surrounded by gun-toting good guys.
Is there truth to this claim? An ideal experiment would be an interventional study in which scientists would track what happened for several years after guns were given to gun-free communities and everything else was kept the same. But alas, there are no gun-free U.S. communities, and the ethics of doing such a study are dubious. So instead scientists compare what happens to gun-toting people, in gun-dense regions, with what happens to people and places with few firearms. They also study whether crime victims are more or less likely to own guns than others, and they track what transpires when laws make it easier for people to carry guns or use them for self-defense.

Most of this research—and there have been several dozen peer-reviewed studies—punctures the idea that guns stop violence. In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not.

Interesting.

What do you tell a woman with two black eyes.

Nothing, you've done told her twice.

Peace out 🤙

https://www.safewise.com/resources/...day, however, there is a,do not make us safer.

Today, however, there is a growing body of well-established research that clearly points toward one conclusion. Whether we carry a concealed firearm for self-defense or use one for recreational sports like hunting, guns in the home do not make us safer.

Because the majority of gun owners do not secure their weapons, children are especially at risk of gun violence in their homes. A 2015 study in the Journal of Urban Health estimated as many as 4.6 million children in America live in homes with unsecured guns.

The statistics on gun violence also apply on a broader scale. The more firearms there are in a country (whether for self-defense, concealed carry, or recreational use), the higher the incidence of gun violence. Even after controlling for other factors like income, crime levels, and demographics, many studies over the last decade confirm this conclusion.

Americans are about 5% of the world’s population but have 42% of the world’s privately owned firearms.5 A fact which David Hemenway, professor of health policy at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, believes contributes to the higher rates of gun-related homicide in America compared with other industrialized nations. “Within the United States, a wide array of empirical evidence indicates that more guns in a community lead to more homicide.”

Back