Valentines Day Contest Support Thread.

Makes sense. Didn't know if the hash automatically expanded to represent my user number. Thanks for confirming

I feel dumb asking, but how does one vote for stories in the contest? Is a rating considered a vote? I always enjoy reading through the stories in a contest but never have really understood how I can vote for one. Thanks!

Makes sense. Didn't know if the hash automatically expanded to represent my user number. Thanks for confirming
From my experience Pending can be about three to five days, and then it is either Published (and everyone can see it plus will be on the list (Contest Entries) if you put the magic words in the message to moderators ) or it will be sent back. Post again when it is published as a heads up to thread followers. Regards

I feel dumb asking, but how does one vote for stories in the contest? Is a rating considered a vote? I always enjoy reading through the stories in a contest but never have really understood how I can vote for one. Thanks!
Voting uses the stars at the end of the story. Hit the one you want and that's your vote.

Hi, yes, as Tronix had just beaten me to it. I had the same query but ratings == votes. If you download the story stats, once published, you will see that reviews are titled votes there.

From my experience Pending can be about three to five days, and then it is either Published (and everyone can see it plus will be on the list (Contest Entries) if you put the magic words in the message to moderators ) or it will be sent back. Post again when it is published as a heads up to thread followers. Regards
Thanks for the info! With the deadline looming, looks like it'll be a photo finish for this entry

Thanks for the info! With the deadline looming, looks like it'll be a photo finish for this entry
Smuttyandfun (on page 14) stated that if you submit before the deadline, it will be in the competition, but that will limit the time for people to read and vote.
Not personally sure of the criteia for winning, the average rating or views or a combination of both (It would seem odd if a story with a hundred readers and nine 5's and a 4 beat one (4.9) with 10k views and a score of 4.85! based on five hundred votes). But I reserve the right to be wrong (again).

Contest stories are usually posted for about a month after the deadline. Which means the readers have plenty of time to check them out and to vote and comment on whatever they like.

Smuttyandfun (on page 14) stated that if you submit before the deadline, it will be in the competition, but that will limit the time for people to read and vote.
Not personally sure of the criteia for winning, the average rating or views or a combination of both (It would seem odd if a story with a hundred readers and nine 5's and a 4 beat one (4.9) with 10k views and a score of 4.85! based on five hundred votes). But I reserve the right to be wrong (again).
You need 25 votes to be counted in the special contests, 50 for the monthly ones.

So yes, if you submit in a low-voting category, you may fail to get enough votes in time. Exhibit A, my story in the Gay Male category went live a couple weeks ago, and is still on only 22 votes - typical for a longish story there.

If you're posting in I/T, you'll probably get 25 votes within an hour!

But yes, especially for low-vote entries, one vote being swept can make all the difference. It goes both ways though - I've placed in a contest once, with only 26 votes, but another time looked like I had a good chance of winning (about 40 votes) but one vote swept scuppered that.

One more day left to submit!

Not going to make it with mine. I have almost 7k words of it written but I'm only a third of the way through my outline. No way I'll be able to bang the rest of it out by the end of day tomorrow. Guess I'll have to sit on it until next year.

Not going to make it with mine. I have almost 7k words of it written but I'm only a third of the way through my outline. No way I'll be able to bang the rest of it out by the end of day tomorrow. Guess I'll have to sit on it until next year.
Change the valentines cards to beach balls and submit it in Summer fun!

My story went in yesterday, 6th late UK time so should squeek in...
Every time I try to get ahead of the game life, work, plot and editing get in the way !
Maybe next time !

💝Last Day to Submit!💝
A story. You can submit to your valentine anytime you have your safeword memorized
I know, it just seemed like we were wrapping gifts and decorating trees with all the time in the world but here we are. In one week the winner will be announced and it seems like we have MONTHS before we can make April Fools of ourselves.
Thank you all for participating, even those of you that didn't have a chance in hell. Like me.

Gaiman

Gaiman’s Law: Any new piece of work you publish you will find a typo on the first page you flip to. Don’t worry about it.
Not worried as such..
More frustrated after numerous read throughs...
I think seeing it on a different media helps!

Back