Do guns make us more safe?

After the random insults and the case is lost, send out the bill. Don't forget that bit.
You're 1 of only a handful of Lit members who perpetually lives in a state of unreality. You, like the others, consistently fuck up your own posts and then try to wiggle out of it with more bullshit deflection which only proves how delusional and fake you are as a person.

You'd do yourself a favor if you'd only log off and never return because it's obvious that you have issues which are being aggravated by your membership here.

That is some free advice you won't take because you refuse to believe that you're the real problem and that the only one who can fix that is you. Instead you blame everyone else for the fact that you're an ignorant fuckup.

Newsflash dudly, it ain't us. It's you. It's always been you.

You're 1 of only a handful of Lit members who perpetually lives in a state of unreality. ( reality I belong to that group) You, like the others, consistently fuck up your own posts and then try to wiggle out of it with more bullshit deflection which only proves how delusional and fake you are as a person.( Actually I do this on a regular basis,in fact it really my M.O.)

You'd do yourself a favor if you'd only log off and never return because it's obvious that you have issues which are being aggravated by your membership here. ( self expression at it's best)

That is some free advice you won't take because you refuse to believe that you're the real problem and that the only one who can fix that is you. ( a hidden cry for help?) Instead you blame everyone else for the fact that you're an ignorant fuckup.( well what can I say, truer words about HisArpy have never been written)

Newsflash dudly, it ain't us. It's you. It's always been you. (Yes Arpy,we all know it's you,no need to point out the obvious,Carbon Water Boy)
LOL too fucking funny.Now that HisArpy's gone and ignored half the posters on the PB, his posting has gotten even more humorous.

LOL too fucking funny.Now that HisArpy's gone and ignored half the posters on the PB, his posting has gotten even more humorous.
It won't be long at this rate before he starts making George Santos-type posts.
At what point do we start getting worried?

If none of them intervened I have no idea why not. I can tell you with 100% certainty I would have shot him, multiple times if necessary, to stop him.
The ironic thing being, the anti gun brigade keeps saying everyone having guns means more gun violence, and yet there were 17 guns there and no one used them, even in a situation where it would be justifiably.

So much for their claim people being armed means everyone starts shooting. 🤣

The ironic thing being, the anti gun brigade keeps saying everyone having guns means more gun violence, and yet there were 17 guns there and no one used them, even in a situation where it would be justifiably.

Thanks for agreeing a "good guy with a gun" is just lip service.

The Uvalde Syndrome: Where people pretend to be brave defenders but turn out to be just cos-players.

Hello Adrina, I'm not offering a "solution" and I'm not trying to answer every nuance about guns, their use, utility and abuse thereof. Merely sharing a perspective. I'm sure someone else has already noted the following point in terms of your question about increased safety and the short answer is no, we are not safer per se...and of course, it also depends on what someone's definition of safety is. For example, every time someone crosses the street they take the chance that a driver will honor that pedestrians have the right of way...so, we take calculated risks everyday and as a general rule good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws. So, removing a tool, like a gun, does not remove evil intent from bad actors.

There is a phrase that says, "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal." Or, as Colt put it in a letter to an English associate: “The good people of this world are very far from being satisfied with each other, and my arms are the best peacemakers.” One aspect of why someone might want a firearm is the chance to respond to the threat of bodily harm regardless of the physical stature of the assailant or size of the intended target. When you are in possession of five (or six) rounds of pure mayhem that you can carry at your side and hold in one hand, the long eons of arbitrary oppression of the physically weak by the physically strong has ended. A 98-pound 13-year-old girl can shoot and kill a 400-pound bear attacking her. Or a six-foot-tall, musclebound rapist. Or a spindly secret policeman come to cart her and her family off to the gulag (the Federalist, July 31,2020 "The Story of How Sam Colt Made Men Equal").

I think from purely individual perspective your options are limited to either joining the gun owning crowd or avoid gun owners and places where they may gather. For every argument against firearm ownership there is a counter argument for ownership. So, it would seem to be an intractable problem for which there isn't a panacea that will resolve all gun issues.

Given that there are 72 pages to this thread I'm confident that I'm a day late and a dollar short.

I think from purely individual perspective your options are limited to either joining the gun owning crowd or avoid gun owners and places where they may gather. For every argument against firearm ownership there is a counter argument for ownership. So, it would seem to be an intractable problem for which there isn't a panacea that will resolve all gun issues.
not sure that's even possible: i'm married to a gun-owner (couple of regular rifles and a handgun) and we live on farmland. Do i like having guns in the house? No, especially coming from the Uk as I did, but fully understand the reason why a farmer needs a rifle, especially with big herd animals and for (potentially) scaring off 'varmints' of the furry kind...even farmers in the UK would normally have a registered firearm. It's hard to avoid 'the gun crowd', living as we do in TN where new laws make it possible for no background checks, open or concealed carry without permits and so on.

And then add into that the willingness of 'the gun crowd' to turn up armed at places like Pride events, library readings, shoot ups in churches & mosques, the supermarkets, cinemas, malls, bowling alleys....

Hello Adrina, I'm not offering a "solution" and I'm not trying to answer every nuance about guns, their use, utility and abuse thereof. Merely sharing a perspective. I'm sure someone else has already noted the following point in terms of your question about increased safety and the short answer is no, we are not safer per se...and of course, it also depends on what someone's definition of safety is. For example, every time someone crosses the street they take the chance that a driver will honor that pedestrians have the right of way...so, we take calculated risks everyday and as a general rule good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws. So, removing a tool, like a gun, does not remove evil intent from bad actors.

There is a phrase that says, "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal." Or, as Colt put it in a letter to an English associate: “The good people of this world are very far from being satisfied with each other, and my arms are the best peacemakers.” One aspect of why someone might want a firearm is the chance to respond to the threat of bodily harm regardless of the physical stature of the assailant or size of the intended target. When you are in possession of five (or six) rounds of pure mayhem that you can carry at your side and hold in one hand, the long eons of arbitrary oppression of the physically weak by the physically strong has ended. A 98-pound 13-year-old girl can shoot and kill a 400-pound bear attacking her. Or a six-foot-tall, musclebound rapist. Or a spindly secret policeman come to cart her and her family off to the gulag (the Federalist, July 31,2020 "The Story of How Sam Colt Made Men Equal").

Given that there are 72 pages to this thread I'm confident that I'm a day late and a dollar short.
If gun ownership made people safer, we would see less violence and death in places with lax gun laws. Statistically the opposite is true. Even people in the old west knew this. That's why was common for towns on the frontier to require people to surrender their firearms while they were in town.

The logic is that since criminals will commit crimes that there is no need for laws.

We have more guns than people in the US. For every single man, woman, child and infant America has about 1.2 guns - that we know of. For a criminal to get a gun in this country is remarkably easy. Because there are so many. The gun industry has monetized American deaths. I see no reason to carry any water for them. They're not hurting in the least. The fear has been very profitable for them.

The 98 pound girl, or anyone really, is statistically more likely to have her gun taken from her and used against her. And in all likelihood, given the number of weapons on the street there's a really good chance the rapist will have a gun.

This assumption that desiring responsible gun ownership (not like that dipshit congress critter that forgot he had his gun in his carry on luggage, tell me how do you forget you have a gun in your carry on luggage and do you think that is responsible gun ownership?) is against all gun ownership is false - and an often repeated red herring.

Every single data set points to the profusion of guns and lax guns laws as causing more gun violence, increases in mass shootings and increase in suicides. The information is pretty clear on that.

I'm not content to shrug my shoulders as Americans and their children die while the gun and weapons industries make a profit from it.

The logic is that since criminals will commit crimes that there is no need for laws.

We have more guns than people in the US. For every single man, woman, child and infant America has about 1.2 guns - that we know of. For a criminal to get a gun in this country is remarkably easy. Because there are so many. The gun industry has monetized American deaths. I see no reason to carry any water for them. They're not hurting in the least. The fear has been very profitable for them.

The 98 pound girl, or anyone really, is statistically more likely to have her gun taken from her and used against her. And in all likelihood, given the number of weapons on the street there's a really good chance the rapist will have a gun.

This assumption that desiring responsible gun ownership (not like that dipshit congress critter that forgot he had his gun in his carry on luggage, tell me how do you forget you have a gun in your carry on luggage and do you think that is responsible gun ownership?) is against all gun ownership is false - and an often repeated red herring.

Every single data set points to the profusion of guns and lax guns laws as causing more gun violence, increases in mass shootings and increase in suicides. The information is pretty clear on that.

I'm not content to shrug my shoulders as Americans and their children die while the gun and weapons industries make a profit from it.
I can see you have some passion for the issue. Activism is a viable third option I had not considered. Shannon Watts Moms Demand Action is one organization right off the top of my head...I think Advance Peace is still in operation, but it's limited to just California and Urban Peace Institute (its also in California). Those are the ones I'm most familiar with but I'll bet there's a bunch of others.

Yes, guns make us safer. Once you've been shot and killed, your odds of getting shot and killed decline dramatically.

Because you're ignoring the facts and focusing specifically on the black community even though the guns are the real problem and we all know it.
People are the real problem, not the law abiding gun owners or manufacturers. The break down of the nuclear family, religion of any kind, mutual respect, work ethic, moral fiber, the media, big Pharma, politicians, professional athlete, and Hollywood, smart phones, and most of all mental health are most of the contributors to gun violence!

People are the real problem, not the law abiding gun owners or manufacturers. The break down of the nuclear family, religion of any kind, mutual respect, work ethic, moral fiber, the media, big Pharma, politicians, professional athlete, and Hollywood, smart phones, and most of all mental health are most of the contributors to gun violence!
Other countries have those issues without seeing the level of gun violence we do. The difference is America has weak gun laws. It’s the guns.

Back